3rd Gen 4Runner - Buy or Bust? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Gimme a 60

I Forgot About the Women!
SILVER Star
Threads
I need a new daily driver.

SR5 v6 4Runner, 320,000 V6 Manual transmission.

This vehicle popped up for sale down the road from me. Asking $5900. Should I buy this? I’m looking for a new Daily driver and am not looking for a project at all! The vehicle has some body rust, and is well used, but runs and drives well.

I’m trying to buy a car that will get me from school and back reliably.

I don’t want to end up buying something that I’ll regret money wise… does $5900 sound reasonable?

IMG_1410.png

IMG_1406.jpeg

IMG_1409.jpeg

IMG_1402.jpeg

IMG_1378.jpeg

IMG_1370.jpeg

IMG_1357.jpeg

IMG_1397.jpeg

Here are more pictures.

IMG_1403.jpeg

IMG_1396.jpeg

IMG_1394.jpeg

IMG_1388.jpeg

IMG_1382.jpeg

IMG_1383.jpeg

IMG_1368.jpeg

IMG_1367.jpeg

@Gimme a 60 Do you do vehicle inspection in your area? have it inspected and see if it passes including if any emission test. The price is not bad at all my 99 4Runner is pushing 380k miles ( reman engine @ 235k) the 5speed is a good thing to have.

If you do buy it replace the ball joints before you get too crazy driving.

X2 on the ball joints. These have the crappy "fail deadly" design. Also check inner frame rails in the back, especially near the exhaust. They have a tendency to rust in this area. If the spare tire is in place, also up above it is a good place for rust to start.
I had one of these, and that's where the rust was present on it.

A friend had one of these in pretty good condition except the rear diff was leaking gear oil due to excessive rust. I though this was a weird place to rust through. He went to the trouble of replacing entire rear axle, then sold it.

Yours looks OK. Manual transmission is a plus. This model is highly touted by a lot of people as you probably know. Not great on gas but OK. FWIW, I didn't really like mine very much. Preferred FJ62 and 2nd gen 4Runner to it.

X2 on the ball joints. These have the crappy "fail deadly" design. Also check inner frame rails in the back, especially near the exhaust. They have a tendency to rust in this area. If the spare tire is in place, also up above it is a good place for rust to start.
I had one of these, and that's where the rust was present on it.

A friend had one of these in pretty good condition except the rear diff was leaking gear oil due to excessive rust. I though this was a weird place to rust through. He went to the trouble of replacing entire rear axle, then sold it.

Yours looks OK. Manual transmission is a plus. This model is highly touted by a lot of people as you probably know. Not great on gas but OK. FWIW, I didn't really like mine very much. Preferred FJ62 and 2nd gen 4Runner to it.

Well, I already have a kickass FJ62.

But it’s a little bit too heavy duty for me.

I also am scared to get it dirty or park it beside other people.

So the solution was this 4 runner. We agreed on $5500. Not bad for a solid runner.

I also am scared to get it dirty or park it beside other people.

So the solution was this 4 runner. We agreed on $5500. Not bad for a solid runner.
Nice! Go over it before anything else, get new BJ and take care of the safety stuff. Congrats on the new ride. ;)
OEM would be best but 555 also makes them.

I also am scared to get it dirty or park it beside other people....
That's too bad. So what will you be doing with it?

Guess I got mine before these became such collector's items. Drove mine everywhere, including several dump runs . hauling building materials, and of course a few road trips to Canada and lower 48.
It was side swiped once, hit and run, with very minor damage to a rear quarter panel. Street parking only on a hillside neighborhood we used to live on. Someone backed into me with their brand new Subaru another time. She was very distraught. Really did a lot of damage to her rear end while only denting my stock front bumper. I let her off the hook, eventually bought an ARB.

So you will beat up the 4Runner? OK!

That's too bad. So what will you be doing with it?

Guess I got mine before these became such collector's items. Drove mine everywhere, including several dump runs . hauling building materials, and of course a few road trips to Canada and lower 48.
It was side swiped once, hit and run, with very minor damage to a rear quarter panel. Street parking only on a hillside neighborhood we used to live on. Someone backed into me with their brand new Subaru another time. She was very distraught. Really did a lot of damage to her rear end while only denting my stock front bumper. I let her off the hook, eventually bought an ARB.

So you will beat up the 4Runner? OK!

I don’t want to beat it up,

Maybe do some wheeling with it, fix it up… get me through rush hour traffic.

It will be a great car for me.

Not like the 62 won’t do that, but it’s a very special car to me. And I don’t want to damage it.

My Dad's '97 4Runner has nearly 500k miles on it. He hasn't done much work to it, also doesn't off-road. Never changed the transmission fluid. It did eat a spark plug once. He's got a low mileage 4.7 Tundra, but just drive the piss out of the 4Runner instead.

3rd gens are fantastic vehicles - with proper maintenance and keeping an eye on rust issues.
I purchased my '01 new, have done all maintence & repairs since day one, and now have 546,000 miles on it. I never hesitate to drive it anywhere, period. In January I'm taking it on a 2,600+ mile trip....

Andreas

IMG_2079.jpeg

that's freaking amazing.

definitely one of the longest lasting vehicles of all time.

Mine needs new Bumpers ASAP!

3rd gens are fantastic vehicles - with proper maintenance and keeping an eye on rust issues.
I purchased my '01 new, have done all maintence & repairs since day one, and now have 546,000 miles on it. I never hesitate to drive it anywhere, period. In January I'm taking it on a 2,600+ mile trip....

Andreas

View attachment 3507436
Glad to know it can last that long with proper maintenance, I have a 99 that i gave to my daughter and currently pushing 380k with mostly original stuff minus the engine which i put in at 235k. I am tempted to find another 3rd gen. with a stick.

Glad to know it can last that long with proper maintenance, I have a 99 that i gave to my daughter and currently pushing 380k with mostly original stuff minus the engine which i put in at 235k. I am tempted to find another 3rd gen. with a stick.

They aren’t easy to find.

It’s weird. Feels like a more modern refined SUV, but with a stick. Love it.

They aren’t easy to find.

It’s weird. Feels like a more modern refined SUV, but with a stick. Love it.
Maybe when I'm done getting the 100 back on the road I will search for a 3rd gen. stick.
Did you get some ball joints yet?

Maybe when I'm done getting the 100 back on the road I will search for a 3rd gen. stick.
Did you get some ball joints yet?

No ball joints yet. I don’t have time to put them on. I figure it should be fine unless I’m off-roading hard. I’m assuming these 4Runners are pretty capable.

Balljoints are cheap for me to buy, so really whenever I need them I’ll just pick them up.

Not knowing the age or condition of the B.J you are on borrowed time you don't need to be offroad to pop this B.J a lot of them are just driving on road when they fail. Go to T4R.org and you can find a ton of failures and crashes, you been warned.
No ball joints yet. I don’t have time to put them on. I figure it should be fine unless I’m off-roading hard. I’m assuming these 4Runners are pretty capable.

Balljoints are cheap for me to buy, so really whenever I need them I’ll just pick them up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom