Pink Milkshake in Friends 3rd Gen 4Runner (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

What cooler are you guys running?

I'm running some generic tube and fin one that I got here in Jamaica, but it was affordable, large and available, so that is what I needed at the time. I also added an electric fan on the front of the AC condenser which is triggered to run only when the compressor engages. It fits literally end to end with my cooler

NB. This pic is from while I was doing my engine work, I have since changed out that old POS condenser and radiator. Also, i'm running one of these in-line after the cooler but before the transmission

IMG-20150329-WA0003.jpg

81Zcs4H1bpL._SY679_[1].jpg

Honestly, any of the Hayden ones on amazon , including the plate and fin should be fine. The bigger the better assuming it can fit.

81Zcs4H1bpL._SY679_[1].jpg

Mine is a ‘Rapid Cool’. I had it put in and did not question what brand. The guys are good. Seems to be a good common brand though.

Edit: Rapid cool is Hayden.

Stuff that keeps you awake at night. :eek:
Cool, found Hayden on fleabay, and my local supplier has the B&M coolers.

It pretty much did for me. I basically parked my truck until I replaced the radiator, easy job. I had a friend who got the milkshake not knowing what it was. He spent about $4K with a shop trying to flush, then finally replacing or rebuilding. Can’t remember which.

My separate cooler came when we replaced all the hydraulic lines which were cracking and leaking from age.

Another benefit of a cooler / all that additional tubing is that it increases the total volume of ATF i the system, which in theory should help with transmission heat management.

Be sure to invest in good transmission hoses/hydraulic lines though. Don't want a cheap hose failing and you and ruining everything

Devils advocate. The radiator with the transmission cooler is symbiotic to the temperatures required for optimal fuel efficiency and longevity of the entire system. Engine and transmission. Radiator cooler is the first level of cooling for the atf and then the little external cooler in front of the a/c. At least that’s how my 2001 Tundra is plumbed. This was pointed out to me by my new best friend (the transmission guy I helped make multiple boat payments for last week). This conversation took place while the new to me truck was up on his lift preparing to receive a remanufactured torque converter and transmission. This experience was fulfilled after 247 gloriously uneventful miles from when I bought the truck from a private party “as-is”. The refresh and sell opportunity I thought I had turned into a forever truck.

@Red Merle i commend you for helping out a fellow enthusiast down on their finances. Its hard working people just like you that make this forum so incredibly vibrant. Thank you.

Devils advocate. The radiator with the transmission cooler is symbiotic to the temperatures required for optimal fuel efficiency and longevity of the entire system. Engine and transmission. Radiator cooler is the first level of cooling for the atf and then the little external cooler in front of the a/c. At least that’s how my 2001 Tundra is plumbed. This was pointed out to me by my new best friend (the transmission guy I helped make multiple boat payments for last week). This conversation took place while the new to me truck was up on his lift preparing to receive a remanufactured torque converter and transmission. This experience was fulfilled after 247 gloriously uneventful miles from when I bought the truck from a private party “as-is”. The refresh and sell opportunity I thought I had turned into a forever truck.

@Red Merle i commend you for helping out a fellow enthusiast down on their finances. Its hard working people just like you that make this forum so incredibly vibrant. Thank you.

I would personally say on these vehicles, the risk of the pink milkshake just isn't worth it. That will cost you a transmission and then some. Unless of course you have money to replace your radiator every few years.

If your main worry is about optimal transmission temperatures (I live in the tropics), you can actually put a temperature sensor on the transmission or the hoses and run a fan to a separate cooler, only signaling it to turn on the fan when the tranny temp goes above normal.

I can't speak for living in the cold though

Never a problem in the cold with mine. I run the truck as opposed to start/stop driving so it’s continually warm.

It was worth it to me to install the cooler from a piece of mind standpoint. A friend( in a post above) went thru the milkshake experience and it was not pretty.

Last edited:
Mine was the planetary gear that fragmented. No milkshake but a lot of metal throughout the transmission. Good times.

Mine was the planetary gear that fragmented. No milkshake but a lot of metal throughout the transmission. Good times.

I wonder if the Magnefine in-line filter that I use would have helped in this case. It would have been able to pick up some of the fragments at least, but depending how much metal was in there who knows.

I once did a cutaway of a magenfine I put on my dad's Mitsubishi Pajero, and you could clearly see metal fragments, despite the trans/cooler working fine.

I wonder if the Magnefine in-line filter that I use would have helped in this case. It would have been able to pick up some of the fragments at least, but depending how much metal was in there who knows.

I once did a cutaway of a magenfine I put on my dad's Mitsubishi Pajero, and you could clearly see metal fragments, despite the trans/cooler working fine.

chunks my friend. Chunks. Had it not been so expensive to replace I’d be laughing.

chunks my friend. Chunks. Had it not been so expensive to replace I’d be laughing.

Some people prefer their peanut butter chunky, maybe they feel the same about their transmission fluid lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom