Picking up an FJ62 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Oh boy howdy, you've got your work cut out for you.

One thing that I'm not sure has been advised is to bring a big assortment of fuses. Do you have any idea if the ds rear light/brake light/turn signal is getting power? I'm sure that you've got a new light cluster on order as well as lenses for both sides. License plate light is almost certainly toast as well. Drive in the daylight.

The visible rust is going to be a bear to deal with. The rest will probably be a lot worse.

I can promise you that the dealer installed "roof rack" that you've got there is leaking terribly into the cabin (dealers drilled holes in the roof upon install...). Anyway, that stuff is for the future.

@diesellibrarian offered some good advice.

I know that you don't have money for shipping your truck. Do you have a friend with a good towing rig? You could rent a trailer and haul it home.

If not. Be safe and have fun.

Ignoring road-worthy, is that road-legal currently? Or did you plan to fix taillights, etc. before you depart?

it's certainly not road legal at this point .. I have replacement lights for the back as well as for the license plate .. the decision to actually depart certainly is based on whether we are road legal and road worthy .. I don't mind being uncomfortable for a few days, but we're not risking life and limb .. I'm also prepared to invest in new brake shoes, pads, cylinders, etc .. she won't be pretty, but she'll be running and safely so .. those few dents in the back, they'll buff out .. my 1985 BJ60 looks worse ;)

Oh boy howdy, you've got your work cut out for you.

One thing that I'm not sure has been advised is to bring a big assortment of fuses. Do you have any idea if the ds rear light/brake light/turn signal is getting power? I'm sure that you've got a new light cluster on order as well as lenses for both sides. License plate light is almost certainly toast as well. Drive in the daylight.

The visible rust is going to be a bear to deal with. The rest will probably be a lot worse.

I can promise you that the dealer installed "roof rack" that you've got there is leaking terribly into the cabin (dealers drilled holes in the roof upon install...). Anyway, that stuff is for the future.

@diesellibrarian offered some good advice.

I know that you don't have money for shipping your truck. Do you have a friend with a good towing rig? You could rent a trailer and haul it home.

If not. Be safe and have fun.
I have 160km to make it before hitting a ferry, then I'm on my island and I can go home and grab whatever I need to drag it home myself .. in the meantime I have a good plan with CAA .. so, free towing up to 320km .. should be fine ;)

Mat,

I, if this hasn't been recommended, would also check the ATF level.

From a cold start, depress the break and move the shifter through all of the gears down to L. Do this slowly and then back up the tree to P. With the engine running, remove the tranny dipstick and check it out. Alternatively, check the ATF, hot, when you stop for fuel (no need for shifting, etc., just check the level).

It wouldn't hurt to grab a big container of Dextron in case you need to top up.

Also, I would download the PDF of the Factory Service Manual. Keep it on your phone.

When I bought my 62, I flew to the neighboring state pick it and drove it home (roughly the same distance that you'll be driving). BUT, it hadn't been sitting. Made it home just fine. Then... the problems started... lol.

Be safe. Have fun. Good luck.
I was looking for the Factory Service Manual and did a search on here too, haven't been successful, anybody got a direct link? thanks!

That ol' gal has not had an easy life! Props to you for rescuing her.

Land Cruisers are pretty simple machines, but the EFI system in the 62 relies on wiring in decent condition to run properly (clean grounds, no mouse-chewed leads, etc.). If you get lucky there, you are likely to get yourself home.

BUT

It looks like you're based in Victoria, and the truck is a BC truck. I'm guessing that means you're going to be crossing a few mountain passes in this thing. In the wintertime. Through some pretty remote areas. Lordco isn't going to have parts in stock for anything that you might need to replace. So unless you have pretty deep knowledge of these vehicles, access to a factory service manual, a good set of tools, and clear weather...trailer it. I'm all for adventure, but there's your own safety and that of other motorists to think about...not to mention that of any first responder who has to help you out.

My advice is worth exactly what you paid for it. Whatever you end up doing, I wish you only good luck.
Hey, thanks for the concern .. I'm not taking it down the mainland .. Rupert to Hardy and onto the island .. ferry is already booked .. down the island is pretty much all sea level but again, we're not going if she ain't running and stopping .. the tin is all cosmetics .. I myself used to be in SAR and am working with the BC Ambulance Service .. I hear you loud and clear on your concerns .. there is some jovial language thrown around here with respect to life being an adventure .. rest assured it'll be road worthy before it departs .. no cowboy stuff going on here ..

oh, I should've given you guys a timeline .. that trip ain't happening until early December .. which is why I was asking about buying parts ahead of time .. I'll make sure to keep you posted with reports and pictures .. I fully expect a major goatshow .. for now I'm compiling a list of tools I'll bring, address where I can buy stuff, what stuff to buy etc .. definitely going through all your posts too to see what you recommend .. stay tuned .. this'll be good ;)
goat show!?! i thought it donkeys? n we didn't tools, just lotsa$$$$$$$$ :grinpimp:

All righty ... she runs .. buddy picked it up from the PO .. foot'n'half of snow didn't help .. but drove it out of the yard and into another yard .. Alternator may or may not charge, tbd, front end lights work .. rear end (as seen above) needs help .. AT had a bit of hard time shifting but was also told very little to no fluid in there .. oh boy .. 3 out of 4 tires hold air .. just have to remind myself that life is an adventure ..

Parts I'll bring:
Cooling:

yikjes, that went off premature .. story of my life .. back to this tale:

Cooling:
- new set of rad hoses
- new rad cap
- thermostat
- thermostat gasket
- water pump

Engine:
- new belts

Brakes:
- master cylinder
- 2x brake cylinder
- brake shoes for rear
- brake pads for front

Additional:
- blower motor
- blower resistor
- trailer lights I'll wire into the back (and screw to outside)

Guess I'll have to pay for that second piece of luggage on Westjet ...

yikjes, that went off premature .. story of my life .. back to this tale:

Cooling:
- new set of rad hoses
- new rad cap
- thermostat
- thermostat gasket
- water pump

Engine:
- new belts

Brakes:
- master cylinder
- 2x brake cylinder
- brake shoes for rear
- brake pads for front

Additional:
- blower motor
- blower resistor
- trailer lights I'll wire into the back (and screw to outside)

Guess I'll have to pay for that second piece of luggage on Westjet ...
Did anyone chime in with links to the FSM? If not, I'm bumping this so that one of the members here who has the links will help you out.

I downloaded them here, but cannot for the life of me remember who had the links.

If the bump doesn't bring any joy, try doing a search for them. Heck, I'll poke around for you.

Hi guys, longterm reader first time poster .. I just happened to pick up a 1989 FJ62 and am about to take it on a 650km trip home .. I know the engine runs and starts up on first crank .. I'll be checking tires, brakes, steering and fuel tank ... anything else you'd be doing if you were to do this? Parts to buy in advance (fuel line? brake line? filters? break master cylinder?)? I'd love to hear from you .. only have 2 days to get'r going before I have to hit the road, so the more parts I can have on hand the better ..

Help a newb out!
thanks!
Mat
Here's the link to the FSM (one of them) from resources: FSM - 1984 - 1990 Repair Manual, Chassis/Body - https://forum.ih8mud.com/resources/1984-1990-repair-manual-chassis-body.1/

Did anyone chime in with links to the FSM? If not, I'm bumping this so that one of the members here who has the links will help you out.

I downloaded them here, but cannot for the life of me remember who had the links.

If the bump doesn't bring any joy, try doing a search for them. Heck, I'll poke around for you.
Thanks Old Nick! I found them .. the library is stocked ..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom