Picking It Up Sunday - My First 'Cruiser ('70) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

New Pics!!

I love the instant gratification stuff like cleaning and painting. I enjoy turning wrenches too. The thing I don't like is chasing electrical gremlins and this Forty has it's share. I can't get the lights or signals to work. Brake lights do work but nothing else. Any ideas? I haven't spent more than a few minutes looking into it. Any particular place I should start?

Pull all of the fuses out one at a time and clean up the contact points in the fuse block....replacing the fuses isn't a bad idea either. Also, check the grounds.

Cleaned the fuse terminals and replaced burned fuses. Still nothing. Where are the ground points? I assume each light is grounded but surely they can't all have bad grounds. Or is it an all or nothing scenario where one bad ground point is knocking the whole system down?

Looking good after a little cleaning.
Make sure the major grounds are there, frame to battery, frame to motor. Then just do one lite and follow it all the way to the end. Do you have a wire diagram? They are on here. The electrics can be difficult, but there is a lot of good help on here for that. Just not me :).
Shane

I had similar problem. All fuses were good. Power from batt to fuse block OK, but found that the back of the fuse block for the specific lights (brake) did not have power. So no power going out. Check back of fuse block (fuse) that runs whatever is the problem. You may have corrosion problem at that location.

Printed out the wiring diagram from Coolerman's site. Will check power at fuse box with meter. Will check grounds as well. I'll let you know what I find.....

I find that the best way to approach this is to run a long ground wire (jumper cable or other) from the battery negative to the lights I want to test. Connect this to the ground clip on a test light then probe the terminal on the light socket you are testing. If the test light lights up, then look at the ground. If it doesn't, then look at the wiring and fuses.

Very nice. Congrats.

^ Exactly my words. Congrats and the rig is looking great!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom