Builds Picked up a Pickup (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.stokesignals.agency
I didn't mean to. My 16-yr-old daughter forwarded me a link to an ugly '84 pickup... and well, what could it hurt to go look right?

The truck looked like the goal was to hide its inherent value: Find the rustiest wheels, beat on the fenders and doors, hang some dumptruck bumpers, build a flatbed - but let it rot a bit...

Why I bought it:
- The rest of the truck is solid - cab, floors, frame, suspension, brake lines, etc - no rust. Even the seats are good. There's some rust around the windshield on the A-pillars. The truck came with two good doors and two good fenders.
- 22r sounds like the day it left the factory
- No drips, no smoke, t-case and trans are butter smooth
- 58,000 miles
- 58,000 miles (yeah, that was worth repeating)

The plan:
- Repair the A-pillars, hang the new fenders and doors - respray in same color (my favorite color on these trucks!)
- Winch bumper
- Freshly powder coated steel wheels and 33x10.50 BFG KOs.
- Rebuild the flatbed... for now, and keep my eyes open for a bed

That’s a great score. Some people just don’t have it in them to do the simple things needed to get top dollar out of their rigs. That’s their loss. I can see the potential in a lot of trucks where others only see broken or ugly.

Nice truck. Nothing wrong with having a little bit of character on it!

You in MD? That looks exactly like my father-in-law's farm pickup except his had a proper bumper.

My mother-in-law still has his other 94 shortbed pickup - manual, 6 cyl, cold air, new tires, 4x4. Only obvious problem is faded paint on hood and roof. Dark blue over blue interior 100k'ish miles. She used it to haul stuff from/to the farm, but at 85 she just sold the farm so she doesn't need the truck anymore. Any thoughts on value?

You in MD?

Nope - Georgia.

Yesterday, I pulled the vinyl flooring. From what I could inspect - from under the truck, pealing back a couple corners - I was optimistic the floors were either mostly solid or not terrible. Once I pulled the flooring (and spent 30 min. with brush, cleaner and a hose), I was *$&@^ing thrilled with the condition of the floors.

Screen Shot 2019-06-23 at 4.08.37 PM.png

Not much. In better light, the interior paint IS cream - not white. At least that little mystery is solved.

I stripped the rotting wood off the bed and spent a few hours degreasing, scrubbing, wire-wheeling, sanding, priming and painting.

The wheels - 1985 60-Series Land Cruiser wheels are being powder-coated antique white.

IMG_4382.JPG

IMG_4402.JPG

url.jpg

Looking good!

I didn't mean to. My 16-yr-old daughter forwarded me a link to an ugly '84 pickup... and well, what could it hurt to go look right?

The truck looked like the goal was to hide its inherent value: Find the rustiest wheels, beat on the fenders and doors, hang some dumptruck bumpers, build a flatbed - but let it rot a bit...

Why I bought it:
- The rest of the truck is solid - cab, floors, frame, suspension, brake lines, etc - no rust. Even the seats are good. There's some rust around the windshield on the A-pillars. The truck came with two good doors and two good fenders.
- 22r sounds like the day it left the factory
- No drips, no smoke, t-case and trans are butter smooth
- 58,000 miles
- 58,000 miles (yeah, that was worth repeating)

The plan:
- Repair the A-pillars, hang the new fenders and doors - respray in same color (my favorite color on these trucks!)
- Winch bumper
- Freshly powder coated steel wheels and 33x10.50 BFG KOs.
- Rebuild the flatbed... for now, and keep my eyes open for a bed

View attachment 2008176
I used to have an 83 pickup and was forced to sell, kick my self now, but I just found an 85 for $1400 but looks like it's going to need lots of work, trying to stay posistive!
IMG_20190629_082728_728.jpg

I did no work on Patty today, but... I gave the bodyshop the green light to repair the windshield frame, fix a small dent in the rocker and PAINT the body (cab, fenders, hood, doors).

That is HUGE news on my end. I'd been waiting for the numbers. If the paint and body numbers were too high, it meant rethinking the whole project. So now, the project officially moves forward - and with the pedal on the floor! New steel wheels, 33s, carpet, grille, marker lights... rebuilding the flatbed...

Yeah. Really stoked.

One more "Before" pic...
Screen Shot 2019-08-05 at 4.09.38 PM.png

Finally, some real progress. The truck - dubbed "Patty" - was disassembled and inspected and netted mostly good news. There's a bit more rust around the windshield than anticipated. The bodyman shrugged his shoulders and said "Meh, it's not so bad. I'll take care of that." The only Bondo was on the fenders and one door... all four of which are in the dumpster. Dent and rust-free O.E. replacement fenders and doors are taking their place. As a bonus, the doors are from an SR5 - and have the wing windows.

Next up: Metal/body work and paint!

Kinda hard to envision this looking pretty in few weeks...
Screen Shot 2019-09-09 at 9.49.26 AM.png

What's going on with this project?!?!?! It's been a couple weeks - don't keep us in that much suspense!

What's going on with this project?!?!?! It's been a couple weeks - don't keep us in that much suspense!
It's in "bodyshop" prison... and it's killing me. 8 weeks at the shop and very little progress. The owner assured me it'd be in the booth this week.
I have parts piling up...
- A CR Lawrence sliding rear window is at the shop
- Five Toyota FJ40 steel wheels and hub caps are at the other shop - ACC Garage. The wheels will be powder coated Antique White. A bit of a change of plans - originally, I was going with FJ60 wheels.
- Five 33/10.50/15 BFG KO2s are ready to go
- New grille, lights, corner lamps
- Flat bed is at ACC Garage. It's going to be narrowed slightly - like 1.75"; also going to notch the corners. We may shorten it a little as well.
- Sourced the wood for deck today - KDAT (kiln dried PT);
- Carpet swatches picked...

And on and on. Killing me.

It's in "bodyshop" prison... and it's killing me. 8 weeks at the shop and very little progress. The owner assured me it'd be in the booth this week.
I have parts piling up...
- A CR Lawrence sliding rear window is at the shop
- Five Toyota FJ40 steel wheels and hub caps are at the other shop - ACC Garage. The wheels will be powder coated Antique White. A bit of a change of plans - originally, I was going with FJ60 wheels.
- Five 33/10.50/15 BFG KO2s are ready to go
- New grille, lights, corner lamps
- Flat bed is at ACC Garage. It's going to be narrowed slightly - like 1.75"; also going to notch the corners. We may shorten it a little as well.
- Sourced the wood for deck today - KDAT (kiln dried PT);
- Carpet swatches picked...

And on and on. Killing me.

It is for those reasons above that I will never paint any of my rigs. It seems like there aren't any paint shops who can actually get things done in a reasonable amount of time!

Look forward to seeing how it progresses once it's back from prison!

Unless its paid for by insurance, then you get the "dope" paint repairs.

It is for those reasons above that I will never paint any of my rigs. It seems like there aren't any paint shops who can actually get things done in a reasonable amount of time!

Look forward to seeing how it progresses once it's back from prison!

As I type, the guys are sanding, wiping... taping. Their goal is to get Patty in the booth today. So, 4 weeks became 10 weeks. I guess that’s just how it goes with bodyshops. I’m just glad there’s light at the end of this tunnel.

37D1A1E2-8E76-4570-9422-EF0405AA48E1.png

Patty is out of the booth - all buffed and shiny!

They're reassembling today, and the glass guy will be at the shop this afternoon to put in the new windshield and back (sliding) window. She'll go to ACC Garage tomorrow. The new wheels and tires are on their way. Then the bed mods are next. I'm getting stoked (again).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom