Pic needed: 1977 rear heater (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

cbmontgo

SILVER Star
Threads
It seems that there are some weird nuances that changed for the rear heaters between the mid-70s and 1979. I’m looking for a pic of a 1977 rear heater from an original rig. Can someone post a pic from that year‘s rear heater specifically?

@cbmontgo are you referring to the shape of the top cover that protects the rear core and fan? I’m fairly sure that was unchanged through the mid 70s until 1/79 when it became more squarish and the color changed as well to more of a black. The mid 70s heater covers were slightly more “diamond” shaped with the holes at each side and they were pewter. I’ve seen unmolested 78s that still had the mid 70s style so I think your 77 would not be any different.

My '76, prior to removal for the resto...original pewter.

PXL_20201106_184451397.MP.jpg

@cbmontgo are you referring to the shape of the top cover that protects the rear core and fan? I’m fairly sure that was unchanged through the mid 70s until 1/79 when it became more squarish and the color changed as well to more of a black. The mid 70s heater covers were slightly more “diamond” shaped with the holes at each side and they were pewter. I’ve seen unmolested 78s that still had the mid 70s style so I think your 77 would not be any different.
Yes, that shape and assembly is what I’m referring to. I have searched and found some [unconfirmed] subtle differences throughout the 70s.

Thanks, guys. This is helpful. So it looks like your 1976 and 1978 are identical, which also supports the attached pic of an original 1977 that I found. Clearly, at least these years were unchanged, whether or not there were other changes in the 70s.

Much appreciated.
59875E10-626C-48B7-8D71-1797226F6AB3.jpeg

Note that FJ55 rear heaters have different outlets (as it were) on the top cover, and the motor protrudes from the bottom of the heater. If you try to bolt a '55 heater to an FJ40, it won't sit flat, due to this motor protrusion.

Note that FJ55 rear heaters have different outlets (as it were) on the top cover, and the motor protrudes from the bottom of the heater. If you try to bolt a '55 heater to an FJ40, it won't sit flat, due to this motor protrusion.

The 55 rear I have which I believe is from a 73 has four feet verses two. Could deal with the motor that protrudes feet by using longer bolts and spacer to raise the heater. Four feet which none line up with fixed nuts in the floor is another issue. Making a single large spacer with hole for the 40 series mounting bolts and four studs to mount the 55 rear heater would solve both problems. None of the 55 feet line up with the 40 feet. 55's feet are at the corners. The front heater has three defrost ventd verse two. On that taking the end off that has two defrost vents and using a 40 series with a single vent would solve that. Had an opportunity to get a set of clean 55 heaters cheap so even though I do not own a 55 picked them up. FYI the reason the rear heater motor extends below the feet is because the heater mounts below the passenger front heat and height is a problem.

10/74 top on left. 1/79 on right.
20210826_154608.jpg
20210826_154542.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom