Pesky Heater Hose (PHH) and that Pesky Bottom Bolt (PBB) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

IIRC removing the entire intake plenum is the factory method to replace the PHH?? Agree, if you have the energy it's a good time to do all the PM in that area including putting at least the upper intake plenum into a parts washer. IME you can spend way too much time cleaning the upper intake while reaching in and bent over 90 degrees at the waist.
i haven't been able to get the right hose size so i am only in here to try to keep it from leaking so much to get from here to there.
i'm going to have to patch it or something with hose clamps.
can i get at these coolant hoses with just throttle body? if not is it just bolts coming off for the air intake or what please?

If you are accessing the pesky heater hose, the best access is through the driver side wheel well with the wheel removed. But, unless you have a very skinny arm you will be challenged to do much in the space. I wouldn't want to try to patch that hose myself... There are metal lines, a dipstick and the starter in the way. That's what makes this a "pesky" job for many. Replacing the hose itself is fairly trivial, other then the access issues. If the hose at the top of the phh hard line is leaking, it is pretty accessible.

Lots of people bypass the phh and hard line with a length of commonly available heater hose (5/8" maybe - do a search) either temporarily or permanently.

If you are accessing the pesky heater hose, the best access is through the driver side wheel well with the wheel removed. But, unless you have a very skinny arm you will be challenged to do much in the space. I wouldn't want to try to patch that hose myself... There are metal lines, a dipstick and the starter in the way. That's what makes this a "pesky" job for many. Replacing the hose itself is fairly trivial, other then the access issues. If the hose at the top of the phh hard line is leaking, it is pretty accessible.

Lots of people bypass the phh and hard line with a length of commonly available heater hose (5/8" maybe - do a search) either temporarily or permanently.
thanks...

In my experience pulling the upper intake made everything a lot easier. I was able to replace the PHH (bypass style) the throttle body coolant hoses and all of the vacuum lines. It's also a good opportunity to replace the fuel filter.

Novice question but is this hose the same for a 97 lx 450?

yes if a 1fz-fe engine
I ask since there seems to be 2 options if there is a rear heater (like in the 97 lcx 450 ) or a different hose package if the rear heater isn't an option

I ask since there seems to be 2 options if there is a rear heater (like in the 97 lcx 450 ) or a different hose package if the rear heater isn't an option
There are some different hoses up top if there isn't a second row heater, but the "PHH" and hard line are the same in both setups.

FYI
Considering the pia factor please consider how the HZ and Hdt's are plumbed.
The diesels run a hose!
Now for anyone considering adding a convention type coolant heater this makes installation a simple task.
As with any install, use good hose, good clamps and if you are paranoid, you can add a wee bit of insulation.
I no longer have any gassers, but have done this to two previous FZJ80 's.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom