Patina Appreciation: Show Us Your Rusty Land Cruiser! (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I just used zip ties
So, did you not use any screws on the bottom? Just pulled tight with the zip ties across the bottom? That sounds a lot easier than I am making it in my head. Did you do the same for the seat backs?
Sorry for all the questions.

So, did you not use any screws on the bottom? Just pulled tight with the zip ties across the bottom? That sounds a lot easier than I am making it in my head. Did you do the same for the seat backs?
Sorry for all the questions.

Yes. These things from Cruiser Corps are made to go over existing seats. I poked little holes in the fabric and used zip ties. Easy.

First set I used hog rings and it was a pain in the ass.

Yes. These things from Cruiser Corps are made to go over existing seats. I poked little holes in the fabric and used zip ties. Easy.

First set I used hog rings and it was a pain in the ass.
Awesome! Thanks for the help. I am hoping to start recovering this week.

Need to get a build thread started, but here's my 67 Yosemite Yellow. California then Idaho truck, made it's way to Maine. Will get the full @wngrog treatment on the exterior and a complete mechanical refresh, disc brakes, power steering.

i-gWFgFjX-L.jpg

i-bMJxPhZ-L.jpg

i-mHv5PT5-L.jpg

i-XLRLwzv-L.jpg

i-ZpqwZgB-L.jpg
So, with some reluctance but facing reality, this excellent original Patina rig is going up for sale. I am about to retire from the Navy, restore a new house in NH so I can get moved in and start a new job, etc. I'm realizing I just don't have the time to do this truck right. I would very much like to see it go to someone who wants a patina rig, and will leave the original paint intact. It deserves that. It has a SBC conversion with 3 on the floor, so there need be no guilt about upgrading mechanicals and drivetrain components. So, I'm quietly putting this out on the Patina Appreciation thread initially in hopes that someone who specifically wants to keep it original will scoop it up.

Truck is located in Bar Harbor Maine. I do have a local shipper who drives all over the country. There aren't any on the east coast this clean. It was brought across from the high west desert a couple of years ago. I have a set of 78 axles that go with it. Coral seat cover set NIB, new headliner, 2 newer wheels to clear the 78 discs. Some glass for the hardtop. Door straps for when the top is off. Some other minor parts to go with it.

I have too much $$ in it as I made the prior owner whole including the shipping from out west. I'm more interested in someone taking care of this truck and leaving the paint original than max sale price. I do realize there is no control once it's gone, but starting here hopefully someone fits the bill. Let's say $13k, negotiable. I'd consider interesting trades that are much closer to done, cash in either direction as appropriate.

So, with some reluctance but facing reality, this excellent original Patina rig is going up for sale. I am about to retire from the Navy, restore a new house in NH so I can get moved in and start a new job, etc. I'm realizing I just don't have the time to do this truck right. I would very much like to see it go to someone who wants a patina rig, and will leave the original paint intact. It deserves that. It has a SBC conversion with 3 on the floor, so there need be no guilt about upgrading mechanicals and drivetrain components. So, I'm quietly putting this out on the Patina Appreciation thread initially in hopes that someone who specifically wants to keep it original will scoop it up.

Truck is located in Bar Harbor Maine. I do have a local shipper who drives all over the country. There aren't any on the east coast this clean. It was brought across from the high west desert a couple of years ago. I have a set of 78 axles that go with it. Coral seat cover set NIB, new headliner, 2 newer wheels to clear the 78 discs. Some glass for the hardtop. Door straps for when the top is off. Some other minor parts to go with it.

I have too much $$ in it as I made the prior owner whole including the shipping from out west. I'm more interested in someone taking care of this truck and leaving the paint original than max sale price. I do realize there is no control once it's gone, but starting here hopefully someone fits the bill. Let's say $13k, negotiable. I'd consider interesting trades that are much closer to done, cash in either direction as appropriate.
OK Everyone, you know the drill. He just needs a little time to come to his senses and remember again that this IS his retirement dream...

OK Everyone, you know the drill. He just needs a little time to come to his senses and remember again that this IS his retirement dream...
Oh I know how this looks, and appreciate the concern. :beer: I started calculating hours available, hours needed for this resto, then tripled that to get the reality, and am not sure the math adds up. But that's just standard, and these trucks would never get done if the math was followed. Ultimately, she doesn't need to go, if I don't get her done I have a shop that will finish it for me, and I'll have a hard time finding another one like her. This is what's been going through my head for the last month or so, and I've come to my senses quite a few times already. For now, offer stands to let her go to a good home. :cheers:

Thank you for your service :)

Oh I know how this looks, and appreciate the concern. :beer: I started calculating hours available, hours needed for this resto, then tripled that to get the reality, and am not sure the math adds up. But that's just standard, and these trucks would never get done if the math was followed. Ultimately, she doesn't need to go, if I don't get her done I have a shop that will finish it for me, and I'll have a hard time finding another one like her. This is what's been going through my head for the last month or so, and I've come to my senses quite a few times already. For now, offer stands to let her go to a good home. :cheers:

... I started calculating hours available, hours needed for this resto, then tripled that to get the reality, and am not sure the math adds up. :cheers:
Math? You don't need no stinking math! You can sleep when you're dead! Also, You don't need to finish. Trucks, like life, are a journey, not a destination. But if sell you must, GLWS.

Math? You don't need no stinking math! You can sleep when you're dead! Also, You don't need to finish. Trucks, like life, are a journey, not a destination. But if sell you must, GLWS.
So, @hellokitty65 proved to be the wise sage of the forum. A couple of PMs from him, and a little time on my end, and I've decided that I can't let "Tina" go. I made a list of all of the mechanical re-engineering tasks that were stressing me out (H42/split case upgrade, saginaw PS, power brake upgrade) and got in touch with a builder that I've worked with before. Next thing I know, we have a plan to outsource those tasks to someone with far more capability than me, and I get to keep my patina rig. I'll putter around with cosmetics and small projects, but have a driver in time for my retirement celebration and my post-Navy summer. Everybody wins! She's back on track to get the @wngrog treatment, with a shameless replication of project patina. Thanks everyone for the sanity check and support!

IMG_0907-XL.jpg

Last edited:
Not mine, but this beauty(and the bluey next to it) were parked in a vacant lot after having been just unloaded from a transport truck but the looks of it. I was at work so stopped of a took a few photos, drooled a lot and left before getting to see who the owner is. I had never seen an FJ43 before.....let alone two at once!

if anyone on here knows the owner, I would love to be put in touch so I can maybe have a better look and take some better(professional) photos for them and for me.

CC2CCEBC-4450-4154-B6A0-77436AF65103.jpeg
8CE5F00A-7652-48FA-94FB-73536458106A.jpeg
BE4D2D46-856D-4172-8E81-53D884602F11.jpeg

I hope this hasn't been asked, but what did you do on the bottom of the front seats covers? I have a '72 that I am about to put these same Cruiser Corps covers on. Did you feed a wire or rope through the bottom to help pull the cover tight? If I were to do that I would have to cut some of the stitching to open up the loop.

How did your seat recovering go? Sorry I didn't see this sooner. I dropped my seats and covers off at an upholsterer to install. Some things I am willing to...however, they did not come out fantastic. He did a mediocre job, so not sure it was worth it.

How did your seat recovering go? Sorry I didn't see this sooner. I dropped my seats and covers off at an upholsterer to install. Some things I am willing to...however, they did not come out fantastic. He did a mediocre job, so not sure it was worth it.
I think they turned out pretty good. A friend and I worked on them last week and I am happy with how it turned out. There are mistakes I made that bother me, but no one else seems to notice them or care. Our daughter will actually ride in it now, so that is a plus. She was pretty disgusted when I first brought it home and said she would never ride in it or be seen by it. Now she wants to drive it when she gets her license. Are 14 year olds always so moody? haha
I'll post some pictures of how it turned out and one of what it was like before.

Seat Covers.jpeg

Seat Covers 2.jpeg

Seat Covers 3.jpeg

Inside Start.jpg

FEA21520-5417-4428-B90C-0F73F96A5A63.jpeg
DD6F37E5-2383-4681-A06D-6CDDCC2DCDC2.jpeg

If I’d not intervened a lot it would look more like this... my 45 donor truck....

Not much left of it to look at... rusted away into nothing as happens in these parts.

I am getting rid of my 69 fj40 has nice patina, needs some work to finish up, drivetrain is out of a 73 fj40 that had lower mileage and great oil pressure. Willing to trade for 60, 80, 100, 200 series and cash on my end. Or a seafoam green fj40.

fjpatina.jpg

20190112_084738.jpg

Spent a couple of weeks drooling over Land Cruisers in Costa Rica. Most had lots of well-earned patina, like this Diesel 45 with a dump bed. They use them hard down there, but that is how they were intended to be used. It is amazing that any vehicle survives 40+ years in those conditions, a true testimony to how well built Land Cruisers are.
F779D5E7-A991-4267-8D9C-BD67869C1501.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom