Builds Patch's Build Thread (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

cruiserpatch

Supporting Vendor
Threads
Website
www.cruiserpatch.com
Visit cruiserpatch.com to catch the latest products and news.

ORIGINAL PRODUCTS THREAD

BUILD OVERVIEW

I post photos and videos to Instagram and YouTube quite frequently.
For those who prefer to read, I've created this build thread which will include details for jobs I do along the way.

Links lead to my pictures/details

Mods
1999 LX470 - 241K miles when purchased in 2020 - 276K April 2023
35x12.5x18 Geolander MT tires on 18" OEM Lexus rims toyota steelies
Bora wheel spacers 1.25"
White Knuckle Off Road sliders
Smittybilt 12K (synthetic) winch
Rugged Radios 45W GMR unit
Alamosa Antenna GMRS + 6DB gain (broken)
Garage Alpha 'LEXUS' grille
Ironman 4x4 Foam Cell Pro 2" lift (stage three)
Eaton e-locker and 4.30 factory gears up front
OEM 1998 rear locked axle swapped (100% factory)
Dissent Offroad rear bumper w/ high clearance crossmember
Ebay snorkel & Skylone pre-cleaner
Lseat leather covers (started flaking at 2 years. recommend Ridies)
Ironman front bumper
F55 recovery gear
Nakamichi Aux Cord Install
Pin 7 auto CDL disabled (decided to go back to auto CDL for rear locker)
JDM clear side markers
Custom drawers/sleeping platform
Gamiviti Essential Expo Rack
Napa awning
Kick-ass shower awning
Total Chaos upper control arms
(review video coming)
SuperPro polyurethane LCA bushings
AHC switch blank storage hole
Big Slack Offroad skid plates (broke them)

Maintenance/Repairs (since Nov. 2020)
New TB/WP/Pulleys/Tensioner at 248K (Stranded in the mountains)
New Wheel bearings* (one failed after 7,000 miles due to seal failure)
New Pads, rotors, all around
Brake unit rebuilt by Andy Lee (not recommended)
AHC HCA replaced (bleed screw stripped - no longer on AHC)
New Fuel filter
New Fuel injector seals, spacers (o-rings leaking)
New coils and plugs
New CV axles and flanges (snapped a 13 month old OEM CV axle)
New diff bushings
New UBJs and 555 LBJs (switched to TC uniball UCAs)
New AC comp. bearing
New tensioner pulley
New serp belt and idler pulley
New fan clutch and fan bracket
Heater tees done November 2020
New rear diff pinion seal (swapped axle)
New t-case bearings and seals
New hoses all around
New Toyota steering rack and 555 TREs

FOLLOW PATCH:
Instagram: @cruiserpatch
YouTube: @cruiserpatch

lx470_jm1.jpg
Patch on the Beach_Elias Delvasto-28.png

Look on my works ye mighty and despair...

IMG_8819.jpeg
IMG_7367.jpg

Last edited:
First up, Garage Alpha's new LX470 grille. Does not work with LC100

Full disclosure, I was sent this kit for free from Matt, the owner of OffRoad [GX/Prado/T4R] - https://garagealpha.com/collections/offroad

Kit was packaged in individual boxes for each component each with bubble wrap/equivalent for protection.

The pieces are made of fairly standard plastic and painted with a matte finish. The new grille feels more flimsy than the old but it gains strength when mounted with the metal brackets.

IMG_2915.png

The old grille is mounted with a metal bracket which utilizes small metal fasteners to secure it in place. The kit did not include new hardware to mount the new plastic grille. I found it easier to remove the entire grille including all the 10mm bolts holding the metal bracket to the hood.

I used some miscellaneous screws I had lying around to fasten the grille to the metal bracket. The OEM fasteners are far too short for the 98-02 grille bracket. I get the impression that this new piece was designed for the late 2002 - 2005 LX470 exclusively but I made it work nonetheless.

IMG_2928.png

A wiring harness is supplied if you chose to include raptor lights in your order. The lights come with plastic brackets that snap very satisfyingly into the frame of the new piece. The nameplate is exchangeable with alternative badges (e.g. TOYOTA or gold/silver LEXUS).

I wired the lights to a random connector I had lying around below the washer fluid bottle. It has constant power so I installed a cut-off switch in the locker switch blank.

I removed the contact from the connector since it was filled with mud and such. I cut off the contact and soldered the red wire directly to the white 12V source. I chose this instead of directly to the battery assuming that this source is fused somehow. s***'ll buff out.

IMG_2932.png
IMG_2917.png

Nameplate option (TOYOTA):

IMG_2910.png

So basically the grille is an aesthetic choice but it certainly looks good in my opinion. This part is obviously subjective.

Rugged GMR45 High Power GMRS Mobile Radio - https://www.ruggedradios.com/products/rugged-gmr45-mobile-gmrs-radio-radio-only

I have used this radio for a little over a year now with no complaints. If I had to do it again I wouldn't change a thing.

I routed power through the rubber boot in the driver's side firewall (same place as the raptor light negative circuit). Soon I'm adding 12V supply for the fridge which will require some new holes!

IMG_2931.png
IMG_2934.png

I have a spare plastic piece so I went for it. Used a Dremel to cut a hole for the radio and draped the mic cable over to the mount on the passenger's blank.

IMG_2935.png

You can see the USB a/c outlets as well as the dash mat (OEM from p.o.) and extinguisher mount.
I also recovered all the speakers with some yellow fabric that I dyed tan. Total was about $10 for new covers all around.

IMG_2937.png

Antenna from Alamosa Antenna (42" version). I routed the signal wire across to the passenger's side boot and back to the radio. I've never experienced any interference from cable proximity etc.

IMG_2930.png

Another look at this controlled mess.

The aforementioned google sheets have helped me track my maintenance and repairs as well as part numbers.

Maintenance Schedule
Parts Sheet

The part number sheet is fairly straight forward but the maintenance schedule may take a bit of explaining.

Basically you can create a copy of the sheet in your own google account by navigating to

file>make a copy

Edit the top left "Current Mileage" (258,700 in my case) and the sheet will turn the cell RED if the "Current Mileage" value exceeds the "Next Service" value.

Screen Shot 2022-04-01 at 12.13.53 PM.png

I've highlighted cells in BLUE which are regularly edited based on user inputs (below).

My input "Current Mileage" of 258,700 exceeds the 'Oil & Filter' interval of 258,689 (far right) turning the cell RED.

The "Service Date" cell is added to the number at top right (in this case 5,300).

I input the date of service for my own records.

Screen Shot 2022-04-01 at 12.15.56 PM.png

You will notice a note I have left regarding the addition of mileage for a 5,000 mile interval due to the increased diameter of my tires.

For 33" tires, I have calculated that a 6% decrease in mileage on the odometer can be expected due to the increased diameter of the tires (thus 5,000 "ODO miles" = 5,300 real miles).

Any further questions and/or recommendations for improvements are welcomed.

Last edited:
The parts sheet is GOLD. Very helpful since I also have a '99 LX. Thank you.

I saw your FB post on the grill. Can't wait to pick one up for myself.

The parts sheet is GOLD. Very helpful since I also have a '99 LX. Thank you.

I saw your FB post on the grill. Can't wait to pick one up for myself.
I’ve put so much time into that sheet. Feel free to leave any others in a comment if you have them.

Thanks for this, I have a similar maintenance schedule but mine differs from yours slightly. I have my transfer case service at the same time as my front/rear diff service and the other is brake fluid and coolant change, I do mine every 2-3 years since those are corrosive.

A few questions, you change your cabin filters every 5k but your air filter every 30k, do you have a spare air filter you run when you go offroad and a normal one for daily driving?

Last edited:
Thanks for this, I have a similar maintenance schedule but mine differs from yours slightly. I have my transfer case service at the same time as my front/rear diff service and the other is brake fluid and coolant change, I do mine every 2-3 years since those are corrosive.

A few questions, you change your cabin filters every 5k but your air filter every 30k, do you have a spare air filter you run when you go offroad and a normal one for daily driving?
I recently installed a pre-cleaner so I changed the engine air filter to 30K intervals but obviously that’s subject to change if I feel the urge. Good question though

First up, Garage Alpha's new LX470 grille. Does not work with LC100

Full disclosure, I was sent this kit for free from Matt, the owner of OffRoad [GX/Prado/T4R] - https://garagealpha.com/collections/offroad

Kit was packaged in individual boxes for each component each with bubble wrap/equivalent for protection.

The pieces are made of fairly standard plastic and painted with a matte finish. The new grille feels more flimsy than the old but it gains strength when mounted with the metal brackets.

View attachment 2968483

The old grille is mounted with a metal bracket which utilizes small metal fasteners to secure it in place. The kit did not include new hardware to mount the new plastic grille. I found it easier to remove the entire grille including all the 10mm bolts holding the metal bracket to the hood.

I used some miscellaneous screws I had lying around to fasten the grille to the metal bracket. The OEM fasteners are far too short for the 98-02 grille bracket. I get the impression that this new piece was designed for the late 2002 - 2005 LX470 exclusively but I made it work nonetheless.

View attachment 2968509

A wiring harness is supplied if you chose to include raptor lights in your order. The lights come with plastic brackets that snap very satisfyingly into the frame of the new piece. The nameplate is exchangeable with alternative badges (e.g. TOYOTA or gold/silver LEXUS).

I wired the lights to a random connector I had lying around below the washer fluid bottle. It has constant power so I installed a cut-off switch in the locker switch blank.

I removed the contact from the connector since it was filled with mud and such. I cut off the contact and soldered the red wire directly to the white 12V source. I chose this instead of directly to the battery assuming that this source is fused somehow. s***'ll buff out.

View attachment 2968518View attachment 2968519

Nameplate option (TOYOTA):

View attachment 2968522

So basically the grille is an aesthetic choice but it certainly looks good in my opinion. This part is obviously subjective.

The grill is somewhat interesting, especially with the black peeling off the grill on my 99 LX, revealing the chrome plastic underneath.

I’m not sure that I absolutely need an oversized “Toyota”/“Lexus” on the front or “Raptor lights”, but some “in grill” aux lighting might be nice.

The grill is somewhat interesting, especially with the black peeling off the grill on my 99 LX, revealing the chrome plastic underneath.

I’m not sure that I absolutely need an oversized “Toyota”/“Lexus” on the front or “Raptor lights”, but some “in grill” aux lighting might be nice.
Honestly the lights and the grille are a bit more vain than i need but they’re better than the old cracked one and free.

Amazing, Patch. Been following you on Instagram, but these spreadsheets are just incredible. I will add other parts in comments from a spreadsheet of my own.

Plus you got a sarcastic comment from nukegoat, so you must be doing something right.

Amazing, Patch. Been following you on Instagram, but these spreadsheets are just incredible. I will add other parts in comments from a spreadsheet of my own.

Plus you got a sarcastic comment from nukegoat, so you must be doing something right.
Don’t know nukegoat but I appreciate the support.

***IMPORTANT***
These are the most helpful resources I have to offer to anyone:

Self-Updating Maintenance Schedule:
Maintenance Schedule

Massive Parts List:
1999 LX470 Parts List

How to use thread:
How to use these sheets

If you look at nothing else, please check out the parts list I have assembled.
It should help you find a lot of things.

The maintenance schedule should allow viewers to create a copy.
Do so and input your mileage into the first mileage box to see a live update.

BUILD OVERVIEW

I post photos and videos to Instagram quite frequently and YouTube less frequently but when I have the chance.
For those who prefer to read, I've created this build thread which will include details for jobs I do along the way.

Links lead to my pictures/details

Mods
1999 LX470 - 241K miles when purchased in 2020 - 258K now
285/75/16 Toyo MT 33" tires
Bora wheel spacers
White Knuckle Off Road sliders
Smittybilt 12K (synthetic) winch
Alamosa Antenna GMRS + 6DB gain
Garage Alpha 'LEXUS' grille (not pictured)
Stock AHC suspension (for now)
Lockers when front diff blows
Valley Tech rear bumper
Ebay snorkel & Skylone pre-cleaner
Lseat leather covers
Ironman front bumper
F55 recovery gear
Nakamichi Aux Cord Install
Pin 7 auto CDL disabled
King springs (KTRS-79)
OEM clear side markers

Maintenance/Repairs (since Nov. 2020)
New TB/WP/Pulleys/Tensioner at 248K (Stranded in the mountains)
New Wheel bearings
New Pads, rotors, all around
Brake unit rebuilt by Andy Lee
AHC HCA replaced (bleed screw stripped)
New Fuel filter
New Fuel injector seals, spacers (o-rings leaking)
New coils and plugs
New CV axles and flanges
New diff bushings
New UBJs and LBJs (555)
New AC comp. bearing
New tensioner pulley (serp belt)
New serp belt and idler pulley
New fan clutch and fan bracket
Heater tees done November 2020
New rear diff seal
New t-case bearings and seals
New hoses all around
New Toyota steering rack and 555 TREs

Track my mods, parts, and maintenance here:
Maintenance Schedule

Track part numbers:
1999 LX470 Parts List

FOLLOW PATCH:
Instagram: patch_lx
Linktree: patch link tree

Pick up a Patch sticker at Patch Stickers

View attachment 2968439
(Grille not pictured)

Thanks for the part number list!

Per the suggestion of a member, comments are now welcome on the spreadsheets mentioned above. I cannot open them to be edited, unfortunately, due to past experiences which ruined it for everyone.

Thanks for understanding. If you do have amendments you would like to see added or changed, mention it here and I'll get on it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom