Parts washer solvent - what are you using? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.instagram.com
Got a new parts washer - I was a bit surprised at the price of solvents. $100-150 for a 5 gallon pail, and I need 15 gallons! Don't think I want to go water based. What are you using?

I've heard of people using diesel fuel if they want to go cheaper. Much safer than gasoline, of course, but still not as safe as water-based, surely, and smelly.

Definitely decided against Diesel and gasoline. Took me awhile but I finally found the PCS (Parts Cleaner Solvent) stuff that TSC evidently used to carry everywhere. Really tough to find right now! Had to jump through some hoops and order it for pickup 100 miles from Phoenix.

I'd be real curious to hear from somebody who did a flammability test on that solvent. Like a few drops on a cotton ball or something like that.

The first parts washer MISF & I built out of a SS deep sink and a Lil Giant pump used diluted SuperClean. The pump didn't survive that. In the current washer I'm using the PSC 1000 linked above and it's OK. Not great, but OK. Works fairly well on most things, but just doesn't work well on brake dust grime.
It does evaporate, keep the lid closed when not in use. I need another can because of this.

A shop that I used to work in used mineral spirits with some ATF mixed in. Shop owner claimed that the ATF kept the mineral spirits from drying out your skin ((we don't need no stinkin gloves!). BT, DT with diesel. The problem with diesel is the older it gets the worse it smells. I suspect that this might be biologics that grow in the moisture entrained in the diesel.

e, I'd offer to test it, but mine is contaminated with gasoline. I'm pretty sure that would skew the results. ;)

that msds above -thanks- suggests that the flash point of that cleaner is similar to that of Diesel fuel, so not much safer firewise then, probably.

I bought a Harbor Freight parts washer and the shytty little pump that came with it lasted all of 6 hours.

I kinda knew that going in, so I had already looked at replacement pumps from Amazon that could handle the solvent. "New" pump is going on 7 years now.

We have a good sized Zep parts washer and this is what we put in it.

Cheers

some of these cleaners are not cheap. How long do they last, typically? Can you just filter them clean and keep using them for a very long time or do they get ineffective after a fairly short time, even if not evaporated much? (Yes, yes, it depends on how often they are used and all that, sure, but in general, do these cleaners end up being an insignificant expense given the benefits or are they an expensive luxury, so to speak? )

some of these cleaners are not cheap. How long do they last, typically? Can you just filter them clean and keep using them for a very long time or do they get ineffective after a fairly short time, even if not evaporated much? (Yes, yes, it depends on how often they are used and all that, sure, but in general, do these cleaners end up being an insignificant expense given the benefits or are they an expensive luxury, so to speak? )
In 7 years, I have gone through a total of 10 gallons.

The first 5 most of it evaporated because we were using it a LOT. The second 5 is still there and It gets filtered and used.

I need to scrape out all the goo in the bottom of the washer, then drain it through a coffee filter back into the can so I can pour it back in.

If you want a lifetime supply of parts washer solvent for free talk to the business owner after an auction company auctions everything off. Auction co's won't sell welding gas bottles and oils/solvents. They often pay hazmat companies to haul it away.

I bought this two years ago, and I still have a gallon left; granted I don't rebuild as many 80s as some folks do...
1685650760325.png

Good for everything, just don't let it sit on aluminum for a long time.

I buy 10 gallons of this stuff at a time from the local petroleum / chemical house. It works quite awesome.

20230601_181741.jpg

The purple cleaners work great, but IME they also kill the seals in the pump and some plastics don't like constant submersion in it.

I just ordered 10 gallons of the PSC 1000. Kind of amazing that they say that they can deliver it in this State.

some of those cleaners like the ubiquitous Simple Green classic and others are not good for aluminum. FWIW, Simple Green does sell a different cleaner that is reportedly much better for soft metals (but they still say not to exceed some mild concentration).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom