Parts becoming NLA. Is there a method? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.billstengel.com
Is there a system driving what and/or when parts slip into NLA territory? Is it tapering demand over a set period of time? Is there a ______ year milestone that triggers when something becomes discontinued? Type of part?

My recent brake drum hiccup has me wondering if I should be employing a strategy of adding one or two essential bits to each parts order to try to stay ahead of the parts extinction curve.

If you have a steel dash (1985-2006) many parts can be adapted to work. Always look for the latest production and see if it can fit. Even 2022 parts can fit with minor mods.

Changes of note:
1985/1986 the brackets that hold metal dash to A pillar change (the 90k01's are common thru rest of production), 34 to 38mm transfer case (feel free to add)
1990 electrical connections (huge changes), instrument cluster tilt is different therefore cluster is different; front axle goes to smaller pinion w birfield changes, R series transmission introduced (feel free to add)
1999 coil front end w birfield changes, 5 lug axles w 10mm (vs 8mm) studs for hubs (feel free to add)
2007 wide nose (therefore different sheet metal and front axle, motor mounts etc) (feel free to add)
June 2009 plastic dash with modified heater fan combo units, steering column, etc (feel free to add)

If you have a Portuguese or Venezuelan truck you have some driveline changes (as you have found). Toyota axles for your truck might be the best solution as you have access to world wide parts versus minor production in Venezuela.

I have found a lot of parts went NLA that were available when I got my first 70 series several years ago. I don't think it will get any better for sure but @rick_d made some very good points. A lot of new parts will work, you just have to do the research yourself.

I don't think it helps that Toyota even discontinued the repair manual RM183E in paper form which isn't a good sign itself.

I wish we had a nice, continuous thread about nothing but part numbers and part number substitutions but a thread like that would get messed up with chat and jokes. Personally I keep an excel file with all my own research and it helps me a lot.

I have found a lot of parts went NLA that were available when I got my first 70 series several years ago. I don't think it will get any better for sure but @rick_d made some very good points. A lot of new parts will work, you just have to do the research yourself.

I don't think it helps that Toyota even discontinued the repair manual RM183E in paper form which isn't a good sign itself.

I wish we had a nice, continuous thread about nothing but part numbers and part number substitutions but a thread like that would get messed up with chat and jokes. Personally I keep an excel file with all my own research and it helps me a lot.

There is a thread in the Diesel section of MUD.

I wouldn't do one here. It would be a waste of time.

I bought every rubber piece available shortly after I bought my FZJ75. I have also bought lots of other parts (e.g. windshield, door handles, etc.) but the glass gaskets, seals, etc. were a priority as you're pretty screwed once those are NLA and you need one.

So you guys are saying that if I just wait long enough all those boxes with 7x parts from those dozens of 7x’s that I parted out will be worth something ;)

I have started ordering everything double when I needed a new oem part , if I need one now chances are big I will need that part again in the future.

I don’t feel that there are less new parts available then for any other vehicle from the same vintage though .

You should always be collecting new OEM parts for a 30 year old, non-US Land Cruiser.
I adhere to this maxim. Except I don’t organize worth a damn. Onur has seen my shop and can verify.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom