Part Time Hubs (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

MCJ

Threads
I have a '99 LC that I would like to install part time front hubs on. Can it be done and if so does anyone have the correct ASIN part number? Also is there anything else that needs to be done when the hubs are installed. The wheel bearings have just been packed with new seals.

I watched the video and it is a little more work than I expected. Maybe I do not understand the 4WD system very well. I thought the normal driving mode was 2WD with the front drive components free wheeling and if 4WD was wanted, then you pressed the front differential lock to send power to the front axle. Then if you needed more traction, you turned the switch to lock rear differential so both wheels are locked together.

NO aisin hub option on domestic 100 series..

If you thought it was already 2wheel drive why would you install a part time kit?

Yes the cardboard trick is great as long as you keep it rotated properly. The owners manual does not explain the system very well. It says to use the lever at "H" and the differential lock button left out for normal driving on all types of roads to wet, icy or snow covered roads. This position gives greater economy, quietest ride, least wear and better vehicle control. Use the "H" speed position with the center differential lock button pushed in for greater traction when you experience a loss of power. such as wheel slipping in the center differential unlock mode. Sounds like the center differential lock engages the front wheel drive. If that is what it does then the system is free wheeling most of the time. I just thought part time hubs would stop the wear and tear on the front wheel drive components and provide a little better mileage.

Last edited:
Look up threads by @LandCruiserPhil

He's gone through the whole part time excercise, and authored a really good thread on this topic. I think it relates to Lokka part time kit.

^ that's the thread- nice work digging that up for the OP.

To clarify some things:

The 100 series is full time 4WD. All the time.

The only part time kit offered right now is the Lokka spool with AVM hubs. (lokka spool can be subbed by a different spool)

There is a possible way to get OEM part time, but requires you to source the specific CV joints that came on a part time 100 (not NA). And then the AISIN hubs will work.

Cruiser Outfitters is currently trying to adapt a set of AISIN hubs for our CV application.

Is there something I can read that explains its operation? What happens when you engage the center differential?

Engaging center diff evenly distributes power. YouTube can help with videos.

Trunk Monkey - the owners manual that I have, that I quoted above, does not explain the operation very well at least not to the extent I would like to know.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom