Builds Pappy's 3RZ-FE Transplant Adventure (7 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Another issue with this engine is the owners. The valves really do need to be adjusted, especially the exhaust side. I don't know if that is what caused this but several of the valves had a white deposit on them. The others were brownish. The light sucks, and I might try the pic again tomorrow.

exhaust valves.jpg

Last edited:
The #2 and #3 crank pulleys were bent. They run the AC and PS. Lucky me, the harmonic balancer (crank pulley) was OK.

Crank pulley_sm.jpg

Last edited:
And where we stand tonight after removing a bunch of stuff.

engine drivers night one.jpg

engine passenger night one.jpg

Done for today. Engine reduced to the long block, rocker arm cover to oil pan. I did remove the cover to take a peek. I was impressed. Everything is bagged and tagged. Way too many parts to keep track of.

Drivers side stripped.jpg

passanger side stripped.jpg

camshafts.jpg

Last edited:
Those cams look really good. Maybe the POs did regular oil changes. I don't see any signs of sludge or excessive wear on the cam lobes.

Jon, I know you've been working on cars a long time and know what you're doing which is why I'm surprised you don't have some old cardboard underneath the engine to catch most of the crap and fluids coming off it and preventing your floor from getting all messed up.

Jon, I know you've been working on cars a long time and know what you're doing which is why I'm surprised you don't have some old cardboard underneath the engine to catch most of the crap and fluids coming off it and preventing your floor from getting all messed up.

My floor is already messed up. It's really not dripping much, unless I'm removing something (oil pump housing, oil filter housing), then I have my oil pan underneath.

And for the record, those oil pump housing screws are a stupid bitch. Of the 9 screws I removed 4 without stripping them. The other 5 were drilled out. They will all be getting replaced at $1.06 list.

Jon - Congrats on the "new" engine!

I agree with Marc - it looks pretty clean in there. How much work are you planning to do on the engine?

This project will definitely breathe some life into the old 4Runner - after all those years with the 22-RE, it's going to feel like you've got a V8 under the hood!

How much work are you planning to do on the engine?

The engine will be rebuilt, new alternator, new starter, and probably the AC. I'm also going to replace things that will be easier now, instead of after the engine has been installed. There are some sensors and senders that are tucked under the manifolds that would be a pain later.

The engine will be rebuilt, new alternator, new starter, and probably the AC. I'm also going to replace things that will be easier now, instead of after the engine has been installed. There are some sensors and senders that are tucked under the manifolds that would be a pain later.
I can't figure out why but I am getting jazzed about your rebuild and transplant.

I can't figure out why but I am getting jazzed about your rebuild and transplant.

ME TOO!!

The nice thing is I don't have the funds to just crank it out. Which means I have to slow down and pay attention. I was up until midnight last night looking at the wiring harness. The only issue I'm having is Toyota was not consistent across the 4WD/2WD/Tacoma/4R/MT/AT and year platforms. The wires are not where I'm told to look in the connectors, but it appears the wire color is correct ... just located in a different position. Shoot, even the OBDII pins are in a different place 1997 vs 1998.

Boneyard opens at 9:00. They just had a 2000 4Runner land, and a 2001 Tacoma. Going to go see if either are 4cyl so I can harvest a few small things.

Boneyard opens at 9:00. They just had a 2000 4Runner land, and a 2001 Tacoma. Going to go see if either are 4cyl so I can harvest a few small things.

I walk in and head straight to row 5 which has the two potential donors. First truck I see ... a T100 and I walk faster (not in the inventory last night). Then stall when I see the tag with 1993 on it. Poop.

Taco was in a major collision. Even though the truck appeared in the online inventory yesterday, it already was missing the engine. There really could not be much of use there.

The 4Runner was a 3.4L. BUT!!! It had the charcoal canister I was missing. It looked right, but was it? For $20 I was about to find out. Brought it home. Pulled out my harness ... and it plugged in just dandy. Another part checked off the list.

One way or another I'm going to cobble this thing together.

Thinking out loud.

22RE:

• 60 amp alternator
  • 80 amp fuseable link
  • I believe 8 gauge wire.
  • Battery and fuse block on passenger side.

The 1998 has:

• 70 amp alternator
  • ?? fuseable link
  • 6 gauge wire
  • Battery on driver side.

Alternator in both cases is on the driver side. Battery will be relocated to driver side.

I have two choices.

1. Upgrade the fuseable link in my fuse block to ???. Run a new 6 gauge wire from the alternator to the fuseable link at the existing fuse block. Then another 6 gauge back to the battery.

2. Use the 1998 alternator/starter/battery harness. Install a new fuseable link (something like McMaster-Carr) between alternator and battery. Run 8 gauge from battery to existing fuse block.

Now to add a wrinkle. The 2000 3RZ came with an 80 amp alternator, 6 gauge wire, and a 120amp fuseable link. The 2000 3RZ uses the same alternator bracket, but a different adjuster. I'm thinking of using the 80 amp just cuz I can.

Thoughts? I'm sort of leaning towards option #2, if the knowledge base thinks the fuse I linked to would work.

The 4Runner was a 3.4L. BUT!!! It had the charcoal canister I was missing. It looked right, but was it? For $20 I was about to find out. Brought it home. Pulled out my harness ... and it plugged in just dandy. Another part checked off the list.

One way or another I'm going to cobble this thing together.

Kind of reminds me of a Johnny Cash song..... '96, '97, '98, '99 ...........

Kind of reminds me of a Johnny Cash song..... '96, '97, '98, '99 ...........
Dang, you should see what I did to cobble together the FJ40. FJ60, FJ62, FZJ80, early '90's pickup. Plus a Chevy part or two.

Last edited:
Thinking out loud.

22RE:

• 60 amp alternator
    • 80 amp fuseable link
    • I believe 8 gauge wire.
    • Battery and fuse block on passenger side.

The 1998 has:

• 70 amp alternator
    • ?? fuseable link
    • 6 gauge wire
    • Battery on driver side.

Alternator in both cases is on the driver side. Battery will be relocated to driver side.

I have two choices.

1. Upgrade the fuseable link in my fuse block to ???. Run a new 6 gauge wire from the alternator to the fuseable link at the existing fuse block. Then another 6 gauge back to the battery.

2. Use the 1998 alternator/starter/battery harness. Install a new fuseable link (something like McMaster-Carr) between alternator and battery. Run 8 gauge from battery to existing fuse block.

Now to add a wrinkle. The 2000 3RZ came with an 80 amp alternator, 6 gauge wire, and a 120amp fuseable link. The 2000 3RZ uses the same alternator bracket, but a different adjuster. I'm thinking of using the 80 amp just cuz I can.

Thoughts? I'm sort of leaning towards option #2, if the knowledge base thinks the fuse I linked to would work.

I am no electrical expert, but I like the 2000 3RZ option with the 80 amp alternator, 6 gauge wire, and 120 amp fusible link. But if you went that way, I assume that you would need to shop for a 2000 3RZ alternator/ starter/ battery harness (as well as those parts)? That may be a hassle, but with your refrigerator and other electrical equipment, I would think the bigger alternator and heavier wire gauge would be the best fit for you in the long run...

I never thought I might be able to use this Owner's Manual again.

1998 Tacoma manual_sm.jpg

Never throw anything away.
Never throw anything away.
Only sell things if it enables buying more things.

Check.

Sell Birfields. Buy factory service manuals for 1998 4Runner.

I found my FSM for the 97 4Runner on eBay for maybe $60. I don't think it was ever opened. I'd say it's quite the comprehensive document!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom