Paliza Hardcore? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

My backyard is getting pretty thin. It's been mid 40's up here all week.

This week shows snow/rain showers all week but again it's up in the 40's every day, so who knows.

Leni

Finally, Audrey needs braces, so all this might just be wet dreams. (My fly-by-night dental insurance company will only pay half).

Get those braces for the girls while you can. In a few years your gubm't "insurance" will be deciding who gets braces and who doesn't.

That is a good price on that S/C if it is a full kit. It sounds like it is only the Eaton blower unit.

-Mike-

I may be out - Sun will be my last "real" day to unpack/pack and square stuff away around the house before I take off for Thailand for the next three weeks.

My backyard is getting pretty thin. It's been mid 40's up here all week.

This week shows snow/rain showers all week but again it's up in the 40's every day, so who knows.

Leni

Doesn't seem to have melted up high much:
NRCS National Water and Climate Center - SNOTEL Map Based Network - New Mexico

If the snow comes through as predicted it might be tough to get off the road - so I still don't know if I'm driving with my little 33's.... I'll figure that out Saturday.

well there should be one more helper/digger/pusher... pretty sure i can make it to this. I'll tag along with Ali till I can't take the back seat :D

looking forward to it:bounce:

-john

Just got 4" of fresh powder up here in Los Alamos last night, and it's still snowing. There is a higher chance of snow tomorrow and Friday so the mountains might actually have some fresh deep snow by Sunday.

Leni

With what fell yesterday, and what is expected on Friday, I suspect we will have a challenge getting over the top.

hopefully fresh snow will give us better traction. it's the super cold partially thawed then refrozen dry stuff that makes it so hard for us (or that's my theory at least).:D

With what fell yesterday, and what is expected on Friday, I suspect we will have a challenge getting over the top.

Yeah, it'll. Perhaps we ought come down over the top (soutbound) from 10 to make it a little easier? Or would that be just as hard?

Ali, do you mean FS10 or Hwy 4?

I suspect we would be denied much quicker coming down from HWY 4. Don't matter to me, as long as we give it a good shot, and we get stuck a time or two.

The snow is generally deeper and the path steeper from the north side.

Well, if we manage a successful attack from the north then the rest of the day should be easy. On the other hand, we might not get very far.

Has anyone been over it in the past few months? What about the hole the FJCruiser fell into? Has it been fixed, or has it eroded over the summer to something larger we can't get by? Coming in from the north we will not get stuck if we turn around. If we go over the top from the south, come down the north side, and run into something impassable it might be difficult to get back up.

This is all conjecture anyway. If the snow comes in as deep as they say it might we could be in for a couple of feet Friday and Saturday on top of what will already be there through today. It might be tough to get to the bottom of the north side from SR 4.

I vote for coming in from the top. If we do make it we will be winching and getting unstuck earlier in the day which would be good.

Also if we come in from the top and get totally stuck very quickly we might have time to run around to the bottom and drive up as far as we can.

Leni

P.S. what time do we want to meet considering it might be a long day?

I anticipate that coming in from the north we will be stopped in about 20 minutes or less. seriously. north face and steep. coming from the south, we can get into it slowly. when we get stopped, it's a like a 10th of the time to drive out. I agree that it can get old taking the same route everytime, but there's a reason we do it too.

I anticipate that coming in from the north we will be stopped in about 20 minutes or less. seriously. north face and steep. coming from the south, we can get into it slowly. when we get stopped, it's a like a 10th of the time to drive out. I agree that it can get old taking the same route everytime, but there's a reason we do it too.

My two cents - I think Shawn's argument makes sense. It seems as though we would be denied quickly coming in from the north end. From the south, we could ease into it gradually as the snow gets deeper.

Who knows, if this storm really hits on Friday like they are talking about, we may have trouble starting from the south side.

Any thoughts on departure time? Coming from the East Mountains, I would suggest 9:00 AM on Sunday at the north portal. But I also understand that we should get an early start if we're serious about getting all the way through. So, 8:00 would be a stretch, but possible. Maybe compromise and say 8:30?

We probably need to get a time and route figured out so we can let Leni know where we will meet him up north (assuming he'll be coming down from Los Alamos).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom