Paliza Hardcore? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I'm ok with 9am. if more people want earlier, I can do that too.

Were are you going to drop your trailer? The visitor center might be a good place to meet, then we can backtrack to Ponderosa.

I will be coming in from Los Alamos. Just let me know a good place to meet you all.

On another note, after seeing how much snow has fallen here at my house at 7200ft, I know that at 8000-9000ft the snow will be deep, I think the south entrance is a smart choice.

Leni

I can drop it on the dirt road up to the trail head or maybe the airdown spot. that's what I did earlier in the month. I suspect we'll be coming out the way we go in. :D

Has anyone heard from Tim ( I think that was his name) from the LR club? It sounded like he wanted to join us and maybe even some folks from his club. Might be worth shooting him an email as a reminder?

Last edited:
I sent him an email two days ago. As of this morning there was no reply.

Any thoughts on departure time? Coming from the East Mountains, I would suggest 9:00 AM on Sunday at the north portal. But I also understand that we should get an early start if we're serious about getting all the way through. So, 8:00 would be a stretch, but possible. Maybe compromise and say 8:30?

I'm fine with any time between 8:00 and 9:00. I'll let Ali and Evan decide since you two have the furthest to drive.

Get started realllllly early boys. I don't want any more midnight phone calls begging me to get out of bed and come drag your butts off the mountain. :flipoff2:

-Mike-

I'm fine with any time between 8:00 and 9:00. I'll let Ali and Evan decide since you two have the furthest to drive.

Well, here's an idea. How about if we meet at the north portal early enough to be leaving the gas station by 9:00? So, maybe that means 8:45 to get there, get gassed up if necessary, hit the restroom, etc, and hit the road by 9:00.

I'm showing:

Driving:
Ali + Chicago friend
Leni
Evan w/ BIL Chris?
Shawn
Me

Maybe Driving:
Keith
Steve

Riding Shotgun:

Guy
Dan?
Ron
John

Well, here's an idea. How about if we meet at the north portal early enough to be leaving the gas station by 9:00? So, maybe that means 8:45 to get there, get gassed up if necessary, hit the restroom, etc, and hit the road by 9:00.

ok, as long as we know who's showing, we can be ready and leave as soon as we are all present, approx 09:00. is the above list still accurate?

I think Keith is out. I don't know if Dan is in town. I'll bring John and John.

I'm still in but won't be at the portal gas station at 9:00. Where is a good place to meet you all? My first thought is to just meet you up on 290 in Ponderosa wherever you stop to air down/unload trailers.

Leni

The Walatowa Convenience Store is less than one mile from the turn off from SR 4. I suggest we meet there about 9:45, to top off and unload.

x2 what Mike said. I am keeping my day open on Monday just in case....

:lol:

Looks like a big storm is coming tomorrow. You all should have some significant fun.....

Failure is not an option as I need to go to work on Monday and drop John off at the airport! I'm not packing any overnight stuff.

ok, as long as we know who's showing, we can be ready and leave as soon as we are all present, approx 09:00. is the above list still accurate?

Chris & I are still planning on going.

Steve's plan to meet at Walatowa at 9:45 sounds good.

Like Ali, I also need to be at work on Monday morning.

Should be plenty of snow. It's really coming down here in the East Mountains, and it looks like a big-a** storm. Maybe Leni can give us a snow report later.

The way this is going we won't hit the trail until noon.

I'm showing:
Driving:
Ali + Chicago friend
Leni
Evan w/ BIL Chris?
Shawn
Me
Maybe Driving:
Keith
Steve
Riding Shotgun:
Guy
Dan?
Ron
John
I "want" to go but something is up with my clutch (pedal is engaging right off the floor). If it's only hydraulics I should have plenty to time to fix it but if it the problem is somewhere deep it could be a long project.

I'm still a maybe.

FWIW, I worked out the clutch issue, which was a leaking slave cyl. At first I scratched my head why it seems I've dealt with that that twice before since owning the truck (+/- 9 years) before snow runs, usually without having driven thruck much then a pool hydro shows up on the pavement that appears overnight. It would seem hydraulics would fail more likely when it's really hot. But then I thought, duh, with mid 'teens overnight, contracted metal in the internal piston, but more importantly hardened rubber seals (think space shuttle o-rings) it's a no brainer. That's why I've always carried a trail spare of both clutch MC and SC that were known to be worn but working. Maybe someone can use that info.

I still don't have a solution to my metallic clank on hard accel but I'm pretty sure it's nothing in the drivetrain. Best idea is the shifting of the sliders against the frame when the engine torques. Sounds like a ball-pin hammer hitting a pipe. If anyone has a better hypothesis please speak up.

So after the thread highjack, I'm still a maybe. My MTRs are getting pretty thin but I wanted to experient with the chains on the front only. I have the kids this weekend, both with Monday school and one with a field trip where I'm I'm supposed to give a presentation (on constructed wetlands), so divorced domestic bliss is a concern. Is there anyone else likely to bale out early if things get dicey (like being back to ABQ by 5:00 pm)? That would make the most sense for me.

Actually I'm strongly considering not driving. Until now I was the only one with less than 35's. I'd hate to hold back the rest of the group, and with two feet of fresh snow the rig with the smallest tires will be sitting on its belly most of the time.

Well today was warm up here in LA, only got about 2-3 inches of snow. Tomorrow is the day it's supposed to snow ALL day. I'll let you all know what I get in my back yard.

Leni

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom