Paliza Hardcore? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

well, I'm about ready. worked on the 40 most of the day trying to get the ham radio up and running. I doubt it will be done by the run though. tomorrow is very busy with a benefit music gig for a fellow firefighter with cancer.
I'm having an issue with the antenna NMO mount on my ford too. I think it's not grounding well to the body. have to pull the entire headliner to get to it.

bring on the snow!

As much as it pains me to say this.....you guys have fun! My flight to Thailand was moved up a day, so spending all day, bashing around in the snow, pulling out stuck vehicles, and generally having a blast is being replaced by uniform prep, food packing, and making sure I have enough "drugs" to keep me going if I get sick.

I'm not driving - I think 33's would be too small, even all chained up. I'll be there though!

As much as it pains me to say this.....you guys have fun! My flight to Thailand was moved up a day, so spending all day, bashing around in the snow, pulling out stuck vehicles, and generally having a blast is being replaced by uniform prep, food packing, and making sure I have enough "drugs" to keep me going if I get sick.

Stay safe, come home in one piece, and good travels. I'm sure you can live vicariously through others: if nothing else, yr welcome to come up to my place and shovel out the rest of my driveway - damn that masterblaster snow berm anyway! 20m on it, after 30m on deck, sidewalk and driveway, just this morning.

Can't wait to see how stuck'd ya'll get, so be sure n take many pix, while I'm warm n toasty at home, or at work (hopefully not spending much time outdoors).

Leni, do you need a radio?

Da'40 is packed and ready to roll. See ya all before 9:00.

News said there was 18" of fresh snow in the Jemez. You guys might have to chain up in San Ysidro. :D

I'll try to catch you guys on the radio and find out what is going on. It should be a fun day.

-Mike-

Two 80's went snow wheeling today on 165, the back road to Placitas, in the Sandias. We encountered about a foot of snow on the trail and two feet while hiking around. So, I can only imagine what we're about to encounter tomorrow!

Mike,
I'll instruct Michele to look for a new thread started by Beowulf regarding any information on our late home arrival, just in case.

Call Number

Did I miss it some where above?? Is there a call list or number that Kay can call if I'm not back by Monday? :)

Leni, do you need a radio?

Da'40 is packed and ready to roll. See ya all before 9:00.

Pappy,

That'd be great if you could bring a radio for me again.

On another note, it was cold up here in LA all day, with a little snow, but the report now shows the big stuff coming tonight. We will probably have fresh powder to wheel in tomorrow.

Leni

I'm not driving - I think 33's would be too small, even all chained up. I'll be there though!

I'm not sure I'll ever understand this obcession with 33s being too small...for anything. There are so many other variables... I did the Paliza lower loop in Jan 1999 with a stock FJ40 and 31s when nobody knew from chains and there was 16 inches give or take on the trail. Bottom line is once you start plowing snow all bets are off for any rig short of a snowcat. We've seen this so many times...

I won't be on this trip in an official sense at this point but I do plan to take the kids for some snowplay in the general area. The old pumice mine at the Paliza trailhead is a good place for sledding and I'll keep Ch 40 monitored if folks get into trouble close in to the trailhead.

Be safe.

Have a great time everyone. I can't wait to see some pictures. Wish I could make it.

Thanks for the great run today! Here are a couple pf pics...
IMG_4418.jpg
IMG_4423.jpg
IMG_4438.jpg

I think everyone had a ton of fun. 6 vehicles showed.

we had-
Evan and friends in an 80
Ali and friends in his 80
Jon in his 40
Leni in his 4runner
me in my 40
Chris from the Rover club in a chopped discovery (looked a bit like slee's shortbus)
Steve H and Ron switched off riding with me and Jon.

the snow was all the way to the bottom of the trail. we turned around about where the new years run did, but the snow was 3 feet or more deep. just before lunch we put the Rover on the side of the trail because he didn't have chains and his front (Toyota)locker wasn't engaging. he had 35's on it and did very well. Leni was the only one to get stuck.:flipoff2: he pulled over to let Ali by and buried it. the FJ40's were the vehicles of the day, especially Jon's. I have good video of him pushing snow. Evan got to lead for a bit in the beginning of the run, then I went up front. after lunch, Jon got out in the lead and did great. the branches loaded with snow were hanging so far into the trail that at times I couldn't see through them and they were touching the ground.

here a few of my pics
PICT0021R.jpg
PICT0025R.jpg
PICT0027R.jpg

more. and yep those are 40" Iroks and snow almost up to the top.:eek:
PICT0040R.jpg
PICT0041R.jpg
PICT0043R.jpg

let's see if I can link a video of Jon's 40.
bioniccruiser

anyone know how to insert a video from photobucket? apparently I don't. :eek:

Great day gents. Pics, then more pics, then more pics.

- Chris and his chopped Rover, buried.
- Chris traveling in front of me.
- Leni's 4Runner.
verystuckrover.JPG
traveling.JPG
leni4runner.jpg

- Where we turned around.
- Leni very, very stuck.
- Shawn standing in Leni's hole.
endoftheroad.jpg
stuckleni.JPG
deepsnowshawn.JPG

Two pics of Da'Forty.
240s.jpg
da40.jpg

anyone know how to insert a video from photobucket? apparently I don't. :eek:

Try using just the "insert link" button. Their might be a slicker way, but that should work.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom