Paliza Hardcore? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

pappy

photosynthesizing
Threads
Evan and I chatted briefly yesterday about doing another Paliza hardcore run like last year to see if we can get over the top. This would be a run where recommended equipment would include chains, lockers, lift, winch, recovery points, and enough armor to avoid issues on the tank traps. Stock trucks would be strongly discouraged (sorry). Experience is desirable, but not required (we will fix that :eek:). I think we have ruled out next weekend because of the meeting.

Shawn, what is your work schedule? Do you have a Saturday available in the near future? We need a plow!

:bounce:

Last edited:
Evan and I chatted briefly yesterday about doing another Paliza hardcore run like last year...

Shawn, what is your work schedule? Do you have a Saturday available in the near future? We need a plow!

ooooo yeah! i'm in! :bounce::grinpimp::steer:

I can start late on sun the 17th(get home about 9:30-9:45). actually, if I go straight from work loaded and ready, I can make the meeting point at that time.

next date is sat. the 23rd same deal as above, or Sun, the 24th any time. let's decide fairly quick, so I know when to put in for OT and when NOT to.:D

I'd be interested in riding along if someone has room... Guy

I'd be interested in riding along if someone has room... Guy

plenty of room. my wife said she would send me alone on this one, so all seats are open in my truck. I'm sure there will be others too.

Ya, I usually have a seat open.

Thanks! I'll monitor this thread for time and date... Guy

We're in depending on weekend - just need to get chains. I'll bring that huge, expedition size, North Face tent just in case.... I have a buncha old winter MREs to eat anyway. 12 year old beef stew anyone?

I'm out the 14th-17th....headed to San Diego to play Marine for the weekend.

Sounds like fun. Do I qualify? I made it over the tank traps last year, just need to get some chains. I;m free about any weekend but need to check my budget as we get closer.

I'm there, depending on the day. I think Saturday the 17th would work, as Shawn had mentioned. I've got ski races on two Saturdays (1/23 and 1/30), but either of those Sundays (1/24 or 1/31) would work for me. I may need to get another set of chains ordered for the front wheels.

If others can make it on the 23rd or 30th, go ahead without me and I'll catch up next time.

Evan

Sunday, January 17th works best for me. The Monday after is a holiday (MLK).
Sunday, January 24th also works.

Last edited:
Sounds like fun. Do I qualify? I made it over the tank traps last year, just need to get some chains. I;m free about any weekend but need to check my budget as we get closer.

Umm, nope, you're denied. No HAM antenna, no chains, nada, nope, nunca, nein. :lol:

Those of you who wants to order chains from Tire Chains by TireChains.com, there might be some money savings if couple of you order your chains together and split the shipping cost. These chains are heavy. We should start a new thread if this will be taking place potentially.

Those of you who wants to order chains from Tire Chains by TireChains.com, there might be some money savings if couple of you order your chains together and split the shipping cost. These chains are heavy. We should start a new thread if this will be taking place potentially.

Too late. Good idea though.

I'd be in if I can go without chains. I am locked front and rear and have a winch tho.

~Leni

I'd be in if I can go without chains. I am locked front and rear and have a winch tho.

~Leni

Leni,

Here is how I see the recommended equipment list. Other will have a different opinion.

• chains: strongly recommended.
  • lockers: required on at least the rear, prefer both ends.
  • lift: required to clear tank traps cleanly, and to clear deep snow.
  • winch: strongly recomended. I would say required, but my FJ40 doesn't have one and I really want to take it. :clap:
  • recovery points: not an option, required front and rear!
  • armor: depends on how much damage you want done to your junk.

Umm, nope, you're denied. No HAM antenna, no chains, nada, nope, nunca, nein. :lol:

I have a HAM antenna, just no mount. Fine, be that way, I didn't want to go anyways. Na, na, na, blah, blah, blah, I can't hear you....Where is that emoticon of a little brat stomping his feet?

Last edited:
Leni -

As you can see the "list of requirements" is somewhat subjective. What size tires do you have? With 33's I'm sure you would not be the weakest rig.

Here's kind of a "first draft" scale I did. Of course the minimum point requirements and individual grades will vary depending on what type of snow, steepness of terrain, type of tires, etc.

recovery points mandatory
winch 5
lockers 4
chains 3 per end
lift 1 point per inch
tires 33" min 1 point per inch diameter above that
armor: your choice, but be prepared for body damage without it. In fact, be prepared for body damage anyway...

Like I said, that's a first draft, and I'm sure we could have a spirited discussion about it as well- in fact, I would welcome it!

As Steve says this is all relative. The deeper the snow, the higher the points needed. We seldom have had a need to pull cable, but. When you are stuck you better hope the person behind you has one, or you better have one on the front because the guy in front of you will probably not be able to turn around. If you are leading the winch is not a option. We pull more cable on snow runs than at any other time. In fact, some of us like snow runs because most of the time we have a chance to practice our extraction skills.

For me it will be a hard decision to take the 4Runner or Da'40. Winch or not. Locker+LSD vs. locker+locker. 33" tires vs 35" tires. Heated seats or no heated seats. :grinpimp:

For me it will be a hard decision to take the 4Runner or Da'40. Winch or not. Locker+LSD vs. locker+locker. 33" tires vs 35" tires. Heated seats or no heated seats. :grinpimp:

Please. We know which part you care about. ;)

Lets just say that I've got the bum toasters on the list for the 45 so I'll never have to worry about that decision. :grinpimp:

I'm going to try to ride with someone if I can. Either that or I'll bring the Green Dodge. 9.00x16s and chains for all 4 tires. Plus the biggest winch EVER. ;) No lockers though, but I'm not sure if you can get something that heavy to slip.

Dan

Wish I could make this. Truck is down for the awhile and all extra time is spent wrenching.

Have fun.

EDIT: If you need a set of 35" chains, please let me know and I will be happy to lend them to you for the run.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom