Painting your 40, what gun and compressor post pics of results (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Dude genius! Who rents booths?

I called some body shops with no luck. I know that some body shops do rent the booths out.

I called some local paint supply stores and asked them for a referral.

This is a pretty good deal from what I have heard.

$50 for 12-4 on Sunday
$10 for extra dry time, another $10 to leave it overnight.
$15 if I need to rent their gun.

I have a Companion gun I got with an air tool set way back when but I might use theirs.

I already have a flatbed, and I already have a smaller 2HP compressor, but I dont have a sealed area and it is very dusty with the gravel roads and drought so I dont want to test my luck.:hmm:

I painted my cruiser in the backyard on weekends using a Sears 5.5 hp, 30-gallon compressor with a Harbor Freight HVLP gun with good results. I set the inlet pressure at @ 45 psi and had to stop periodically to allow the compressor to catch up. Wait for optimum weather conditions, temp around 70 degrees and low humidity. Spend some time setting up your gun and place a moisture filter in the hose line. Had to sand out some orange peel on my first attempt because my gun was not set-up properly. Hope this helps.

If you're concerned about volume you can always borrow another smaller compressor, plug it in a separate circuit and make a simple T fitting.

Photo of my backyard paint job. 1980 Original color - Rustic Green
Cal090534.jpg

I used a HF HVLP sprayer but we had it hooked to an 80 gal compressor that we never had to wait for it to catch up. We did spray it in an open air shop and I used a single stage NAPA paint. I could only find 2 small runs on the inside of the windshield frame, one on each side :hmm:. Other than that, it came out great. While shooting in a booth is best for optimum conditions and especially if you are doing a restore paint job, for me and my weekend run-around off-road toy, no booth was necessary. Oh, and this was the first time I ever painted a vehicle.

:cheers:

Taped1.jpg

painted2.jpg

finished1.jpg

i have not yet painted my 40 but i did paint my 21 ft Mac Venture sailboat with my sears 30 gallon 110 compressor.

Never had issues with it catching up.

Used the same HLVP gun with the latex based paint that i did my last honda with.

Paint job came out fine for an outside paint job. I wouldn't do a show car with it but for a DD 40 that gets wheeled or a sailboat that lives in the elements....worked great.

No problems at all with the compressor.

but my compressor is too small for a good impact gun and any rotary grinders....forget it....wait 5 min to grind for 20 seconds.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom