Overwhelmed by awnings (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Something I like about that Kinsmen is the three (or two extra) support lift poles that go up to the canvas. That is the only design I have seen with that. I really wish my Ostrich Wing had two more. Biggest problem I have had with mine, and I am sure it would be an issue with any of the others, is gathering water. But Kinsmen or Bush Company seem to be good options. I would recommend my Ostrich Wing but they are hard to get here. If I had a choice I would be looking at that Kinsmen, but only from what I saw on their site. It also depends on where you use it. I am in the Southeast US where we get a lot of rain and we have a lot of trees. I don't need it as much for shade as I do rain, so the fact that mine fills with 50-80 gallons of water kind of sucks but at the same time I am not worried about it failing (I have even used it as a way to gather water for washing). But if you are primarily using it for shade, then some of the lighter weight free standing options like the Alu-Cab might work better.

I just installed an Alu-Cab fridge slide and I’m not at all impressed with the quality of it. So for now I’m on hold with any new Alu-Can purchases unless they resolve the issue. (It rattles like hell)

My main need is shade over rain. But when it rains it rains so that too.

The main reason why I did not go with the Shadow Awning is because it's simply is too long for my 80 series. I love the square footage of shade it provides but I also don't want to stare at it through my windshield as I drive, that's why I chose the Bush company for the same price. I also like the rafter and hinge construction of the Bush company awning a tad better than AluCab.

Last edited:
I'm shopping awnings and want a 270° that is self supporting. Right now the Kinsmen is leading the pack. 270 Awning — Kinsmen Hardware LLC - https://www.kinsmenhardware.com/awning

Anyone with additional feedback on similar options?

I just met and talked with that dude at Broverland Expo in Flagstaff. Nice guy, they're well made and made in the U.S.A. He uses name-brand sun-brella and cordura material. I think that's the key, the shade material is going to last. I personally don't have any more experience than that though.

If you can make one of those events, there's about 10 different awning vendors to check out.

I just installed an Alu-Cab fridge slide and I’m not at all impressed with the quality of it. So for now I’m on hold with any new Alu-Can purchases unless they resolve the issue. (It rattles like hell)
I haven't actually seen this slide but I know it would be really hard to stop a rattle in the connections on aluminum sheet. I am not condoning or advertising for Alu Cab but I am a fabricator and I know how frustrating it can be to get rid of noise in sheet metal, especially aluminum. Just my two cents. That might be what you have to deal with for the weight savings. Everything else about aluminum sucks. Not to say they shouldn't have known that and done something about it. But everyone wants aluminum but no one wants to pay for the extra steps it takes to get the job done right. I hate aluminum (coming from someone who built an aluminum roof rack).

Saying that though, my Ostrich Wing Awning is all aluminum. I am assuming all the others are too although some looked like they could be steel. That is definitely a place where I would want aluminum. Anything on the roof.

I haven't actually seen this slide but I know it would be really hard to stop a rattle in the connections on aluminum sheet. I am not condoning or advertising for Alu Cab but I am a fabricator and I know how frustrating it can be to get rid of noise in sheet metal, especially aluminum. Just my two cents. That might be what you have to deal with for the weight savings. Everything else about aluminum sucks. Not to say they shouldn't have known that and done something about it. But everyone wants aluminum but no one wants to pay for the extra steps it takes to get the job done right. I hate aluminum (coming from someone who built an aluminum roof rack).

Saying that though, my Ostrich Wing Awning is all aluminum. I am assuming all the others are too although some looked like they could be steel. That is definitely a place where I would want aluminum. Anything on the roof.
This thread really isn't the place to discuss the fridge slide but I don't see the aluminum material as the issue. The rattle IMHO is a result of the locking mechanism and excessive side to side play due to manufacturing tolerances. I've been in communication with Alu-Cab about the issue. They are aware of it however have offered nothing but band-aid like solutions to this point. Fridge slide thread: "Fridge" Slide with Tilt to be Used with Large Cooler? - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/fridge-slide-with-tilt-to-be-used-with-large-cooler.1253382/#post-14451764

....................Saying that though, my Ostrich Wing Awning is all aluminum. I am assuming all the others are too although some looked like they could be steel. That is definitely a place where I would want aluminum. Anything on the roof.
The Kinsmen awning supports are steel, that's why it's heavier. I have the Alu Cab Shadow and have dealt with Kinsmen several years ago when I was looking for a shower enclosure. They were a good company to work with. Only problem was their delivery date was delayed for several months due to a supply issue. As far as steel vs aluminum in awnings, I agree with you as far as weight carried high. But, one of the biggest concerns with an awning is their durability in high winds. The Shadow and even though it's aluminum, it's one of the best for holding up in windy conditions. Haven't seen any comparisons between the Shadow and the Kinsmen for windy conditions, but I'd be inclined to say the Kinsmen would hold up even better.

I got to take a look at the Ostrich at a recent event. I liked it and it seemed pretty stable in some pretty high winds. It was really big which is good and bad. I ended up ordering the Kinsmen. The quality looks to be at the very top and I like the overall size for my FZJ80. The mounting system will work with my homebuilt rack without modification. It will be a few months before I receive it and feel it will be well worth the wait.

Congrats dude, you'll love the shade. You can't ever have enough shade in the Southwest!

My main need is shade over rain. But when it rains it rains so that too.
I've owned these products from AluCab:

- canopy for 3rd gen Tacoma
- large, tilting fridge slide
- roof rack cross-bars
- 3rd gen RTT
- shadow awning

My fridge slide was in a truck bed so I never heard it rattle, but it likely did. I was very happy with it, and with all other AluCab products. Top-notch quality throughout, especially so for the Shadow awning. If I had a need/want, I wouldn't hesitate purchasing the AluCab Shadow awning again.

I've owned these products from AluCab:

- canopy for 3rd gen Tacoma
- large, tilting fridge slide
- roof rack cross-bars
- 3rd gen RTT
- shadow awning

My fridge slide was in a truck bed so I never heard it rattle, but it likely did. I was very happy with it, and with all other AluCab products. Top-notch quality throughout, especially so for the Shadow awning. If I had a need/want, I wouldn't hesitate purchasing the AluCab Shadow awning again.
I just installed the AluCab awning on my 100 and the coverage is great, but i've found the customer support to be quite lacking. I messaged the supplier and alu-cab directly and still had to do a tremendous amount of head scratching to fit it. Still waiting to get all of the correct hardware too.

I just installed the AluCab awning on my 100 and the coverage is great, but i've found the customer support to be quite lacking. I messaged the supplier and alu-cab directly and still had to do a tremendous amount of head scratching to fit it. Still waiting to get all of the correct hardware too.
I've installed my Shadow in 4 different setups and have to agree with you. Unless there is an existing, already engineered kit, you're on your own. Did my own research and fabbed up what I needed all 4 times and except for one setup, they were rock solid. The one that I didn't like was my attempt to mount it to my Prinsu roof rack on my 80. The rack needed serious mod for it to be solid and I had installed it for just 1 trip where I couldn't take my trailer, so I just lived with it. But agree with @eatSleepWoof about quality of Alu Cab Products. The Shadow is one solid awning and needs solid mounts to perform well.

+1 for the Kinsmen. Very stout. I chose it because it is free-standing. I did not want to bother with poles or strings. Just wish I had more time to get out and use it.

Anyone have experience with the QuickPitch 20 Sec Awning?

Looks like a bigger, maybe a little stronger version of the shadow. No trusses like the 270 XT or Kinsmen.
Here's a comparo video:

Obviously bigger but, I like that the Shadow has heavier awning fabric which will probably hold up better in the long run. Video comments mention that the hardware is bigger, but it needs to be, to hold up in winds since it's a bigger target. Be interested to read reviews on the wall kit for the QuickPitch. Not real impressed with the wall kit for my Shadow. After dealing with velcro, a zipper attachment sounds attractive until the zipper fails.

A little late to this thread but here is my experience.

I started out with the ARB 2500. Great awning. Added the full room to it and that was a game changer. Having a room that get's you out of the wind, rain and offers privacy is huge! ARB has great customer support and getting replacements parts for the poles that you will break is really easy and cheap.

Then, I decided to upgrade to a 270 awning. I went with the bush company 270XT Max. Fantastic awning, but for it to be truly robust like they advertise you need to mount it to one of their RTT's. You can mount it to load bars (not the best solution but it works) or to a roof rack. It's easy to deploy and easy to put away, but not having the room to me is a big deal. They have come out with a wall kit that is not in the US yet. I'm sure I'll get it, but it appears to be very heavy and it's a set of walls, so you will put one up at a time.

All that to say do not overlook the simple but practical ARB awning and all the add-ons they have for that piece of kit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom