Overwhelmed by awnings (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Zooguy

SILVER Star
Threads
There are so many different choices for awnings it is overwhelming so I was wanting a little bit of advice on what brand I should get I'm looking for one that has the the ability to add a room to with four walls and a floor. Another thing that I would like is a durable case when it's rolled up because sometimes I find myself on narrow trails and I don't want tree branches to rip it up.

Please feel free to respond and post pictures of your setup

We use the big ARB (2500?) that's about 8' x 8', mostly because we wanted a totally enclosed space with the room. We use that as a tent now (family-type stuff). The awning room has its own ceiling so we don't have to worry about condensation on the inside. Staked down, it'll take a good bit of wind. It's a canvas-type fabric so it isn't too noisy.

Plus it was WAAAAY cheaper than some of the 270º awnings, so we got it to see if we even liked having an awning at all. We can push off the upgrade until later if we ever feel like we need more. So far we haven't needed more.

Ours has the fabric cover, but ARB make similar options with an aluminum cover I think. The vinyl cover has been fine for a year (looks new), but is usually dismounted and stored in the garage except for trips.

IMG_0712.jpeg

At the Oregon sand dunes last year. We use a cheap sheet of Tyvek as a ground cloth, but it's probably unnecessary. The vinyl floor in the room is pretty tough.

We use the big ARB (2500?) that's about 8' x 8', mostly because we wanted a totally enclosed space with the room. We use that as a tent now (family-type stuff). The awning room has its own ceiling so we don't have to worry about condensation on the inside. Staked down, it'll take a good bit of wind. It's a canvas-type fabric so it isn't too noisy.

Plus it was WAAAAY cheaper than some of the 270º awnings, so we got it to see if we even liked having an awning at all. We can push off the upgrade until later if we ever feel like we need more. So far we haven't needed more.

Ours has the fabric cover, but ARB make similar options with an aluminum cover I think. The vinyl cover has been fine for a year (looks new), but is usually dismounted and stored in the garage except for trips.

View attachment 2601144

At the Oregon sand dunes last year. We use a cheap sheet of Tyvek as a ground cloth, but it's probably unnecessary. The vinyl floor in the room is pretty tough.
I‘d second the ARB 2500. I use without the walls but same idea. I would agree the vinyl cover is adequate protection. I had on for 8 months (just removed) need to clean the cover but otherwise held up well.

View attachment 2601144

Somewhat unrelated, but if you want a floor, I can't recommend the CGear sand free mat enough. They are a complete game changer in my opinion.

Somewhat unrelated, but if you want a floor, I can't recommend the CGear sand free mat enough. They are a complete game changer in my opinion.

Not unrelated at all! It took months to get all the sand out of my gear after that. Looks super interesting, appreciate the tip.

1614722612213.png

Holy COVID-compliant fully enclosed awning Batman!

Few different ones out there... Biggest thing, in my mind, that you will need to decide on is either a batwing style or straight.
From there, with the batwing style they have self-standing or pole standing.

I personally plan to go with an Overland Pros Wraptor 2k as I don't need anything HUGE nor do I care if it is self standing. They are semi local to me so I can drive over to them and grab. But first I need an actual roofrack.

I have the 2500 and while its priced right and versatile with the annex room- I think I would prefer a batwing for a little more coverage around the truck. One downside to the 2500 awning with annex attached (or anything similar) is that the awning sags in the middle during heavy rain storms. Either you have to lower the front poles to a less than friendly height, or use a telescoping pole with a tennis ball on the end to place in the center to divert water.

I do something a little different. Have a Kelty Noah 16 that I move to different places to create different sized coverings.

Pull it towards the front doors and create a 270 shade. Double it up on the side of the truck and create a small bit of shade. Hang it way out the back if that’s where you need it.

Get a little creative with you poles and lash points, you’ll end up with options.

Doesn’t look as cool though so you’ll lose points 😉

Last edited:
Alucab Shadow awning here. It’s pricey, but well made and has good coverage. I don’t have the enclosed walls, but mainly use it for shade at the beach & desert plus a shelter to put my cot tent under during adverse conditions.

055496E3-6C75-418E-8AB7-2EAEF1934FE9.jpeg

51A22AA6-67EF-4915-8318-0D53EC822300.jpeg

That's awesome, thanks for the recommendation. How is the durability? Think it could be used as a footprint for a tent?

I do something a little different. Have a Kelty Noah 16 that I move to different places to create different sized covering.

Pull it towards the front doors and create a 270 shade. Double it up on the side I’d the truck and create a small bit of shade. Hang it way out the back I’d that’s where you need it.

Get a little creative with you poles and lash points, you’ll end up with options.

Doesn’t look as cool though so you’ll lose points 😉
Typos included for your viewing pleasure. Would be nice to be able to edit!,!

That's awesome, thanks for the recommendation. How is the durability? Think it could be used as a footprint for a tent?

Yes, but it's a bit of a waste as a footprint unless you oversize and you can walk around on it. Very durable. Dogs, kids and camp tables haven't damaged mine yet. You might want to keep it away from fire though. I could see it melting with hot coals. I just bought a RTT and ordered a small one for the bottom of the ladder to change shoes etc.

I love my Ostrich Wing. After a lot of research I ended up with this because it was the only 270 I could find that was built in a way that I thought could truly be self supporting. I included this photo for two reasons. It was absolutely pouring. One drawback to this awning was that it gathers water instead of sheeting it off. But at the same time, it must have gathered at least 40-50 gallons of water in this photo and it did not budge. There is the optional single leg you can see in the photo that I put up just because I was nervous about the water weight, but it really wasn't necessary. The seam seal is crap and has to be redone, but the build quality and strength is amazing. It is an aluminum truss system. Folds out and back in in literally a couple minutes. And this awning comes equipped with optional sides and doors. Not sure about a floor though. I decided not to get the walls since it is not the way we use the vehicle. I also had to make a really easy mount for my Prinsu rack which consisted of two 1/2" x 6" aluminum plates drilled for the mount holes. It lifted the awning to a correct placement so it would clear the rear hatch.

IMG_1598 (1).jpg

Alucab Shadow awning here. It’s pricey, but well made and has good coverage. I don’t have the enclosed walls, but mainly use it for shade at the beach & desert plus a shelter to put my cot tent under during adverse conditions.

View attachment 2601538

View attachment 2601539
Does your dog just sit there and keep your awning tight the whole time?

I would say a quality 270 if you live in an area where there is room for that to open. When I say quality I mean $1500. Otherwise ARB. They seem like the de facto standard and ARB customer support makes getting any small part super quick and easy. Frequently free as well. Lots of accessories for the ARBs as well.

I have the Alu Cab Shadow also, but have the wall kit in addition. While the awning is top quality, easy to deploy & put away, the wall kit has its shortcomings. There is no interior wall (next to the rig) so wind and bugs will have their way with you. The screens on the windows have to be a joke. No floor is provided, so bring your own tarp if you want one. I've made some mods to my trailer to try and make up for the shortcomings, if you're interested. The awning itself holds up very well in the wind, however I'm not impressed once the wall kit is setup. A few weeks ago, camped in KOFA in AZ, we had a short downpour and lots of wind for several days. There's a fold up support that is on the center arm and gives slope to the roof to drain off water, shown in following pic:

IMG_1351 (2).JPG

Since I was out and about on a trail ride when wind picked up & rain hit, I missed the action and returned to find the support had folded itself back down from wind vibration and consequently the awning had collected a few gallons of water. That night the wind had the same result with the support, so I ended up bungie cording the support to hold it up, since the wind became almost constant. The walls block the wind and are fairly well attached to awning (velcro) and staked to ground, but if there's slack in a wall, due to your camping spot not being level, the wind will make it quite annoying. All in all, I love the awning, but I'm quite dissapointed in the Alu Cab wall kit for lack of insect protection and poor vehicle sealing. This awning was made for shade and minimal weather protection, definitely not an all season awning and annex for a rig.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom