Orange45 Twin Sticks Installation (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I purchased the twin sticks from Georg @orangefj45 a couple of months back and just got around to try to start installing these now. Can't seem to find answer using search function. Do I need to disassemble split case to replace the mode shaft? I will call George tomorrow but wanted to post here for those who have twin stick setup

My truck is an 83 with 5.3L & NV4500

TIA

I purchased the twin sticks from Georg @orangefj45 a couple of months back and just got around to try to start installing these now. Can't seem to find answer using search function. Do I need to disassemble split case to replace the mode shaft? I will call George tomorrow but wanted to post here for those who have twin stick setup

My truck is an 83 with 5.3L & NV4500

TIA
Hey Luis, dumb question here, but what is the mode shaft. I did Georg’s twin sticks on a 55 for a guy a few years ago. This was a later vac operated t-case that I converted to mechanical shift. Since I was rebuilding the case I don’t recall any challenges installing the twin sticks.

Jim,

The shaft that switches from 2 to 4 wheel drive. Here is the one that came with my twin sticks...I may be calling it by the wrong name...

ts.jpg

Jim,

The shaft that switches from 2 to 4 wheel drive. Here is the one that came with my twin sticks...I may be calling it by the wrong name...

View attachment 2491270

I rebuilt my tcase... that rod whatever it’s called will replace what you see in the top of the second photo. So you’ll have to open the case for that one.

4A5F8F0A-127B-4801-B911-60DB3DD800D3.jpeg

C28C7062-9D3C-40C1-B4E4-3E8B89F59F3C.jpeg

Yep, Felicity is correct. I’ve always called it a “shift selector rod” but not sure of the tech term. Yours is most likely the 2-4WD selector. If you’ve not seen this thread from Georg it may be worth the read. I scanned through it and looks like some folks attach the shifter linkage to the existing shift selector. If you have to use the one in your last post then you will have to open it up. Would need to swap the fork over from the old one. split case twin-stick kits!!!!!

Yep, Felicity is correct. I’ve always called it a “shift selector rod” but not sure of the tech term. Yours is most likely the 2-4WD selector. If you’ve not seen this thread from Georg it may be worth the read. I scanned through it and looks like some folks attach the shifter linkage to the existing shift selector. If you have to use the one in your last post then you will have to open it up. Would need to swap the fork over from the old one. split case twin-stick kits!!!!!

Thanks Jimmy, yes I had read Georg’s thread but really did not see what I was looking for

Well, I guess I am opening up the TC afterall since I just fried the transmission... I drove it to a neighboring town ~30 miles away and it turns out tranny had no fluid at all. :bang:

Holy cow Luis. That stinks ma man. Do you have an option on another trans? If not what are you thinking about for your next move. Really sorry about this. Believe me...we’ve all done things that have bit us in the rear a bit. You should check out the “wall of shame” in my barn next time you’re here :).

Holy cow Luis. That stinks ma man. Do you have an option on another trans? If not what are you thinking about for your next move. Really sorry about this. Believe me...we’ve all done things that have bit us in the rear a bit. You should check out the “wall of shame” in my barn next time you’re here :).

Jim, plan is to get drunk, open up the tranny to see what the damage is, if it is rebuildable, I may attempt to do this. I may also visit LKQ to see if they have one. I'll look at your wall of Shame next time. Funny thing is that I was just lecturing my youngest son the day before about making sure all the fluids in his car were in check.

Jim, plan is to get drunk, open up the tranny to see what the damage is, if it is rebuildable, I may attempt to do this. I may also visit LKQ to see if they have one. I'll look at your wall of Shame next time. Funny thing is that I was just lecturing my youngest son the day before about making sure all the fluids in his car were in check.
I have a solid 4-speed in my barn. Belongs to Monroy @fl4031003 and I believe is relatively low miles. Another mud friend was gonna buy it but believe he’s going another direction. Possible solution for you :).

He's running an NV4500.

Luis, this sucks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom