ONSC Chat (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Tech people...What the hell am I missing? Samsung TV hooked up to Hughesnet (satellite web only) for internet at my SC house. No cable provider here. Trying to install TV apps from the Samsung TV app store but am required to input a cable provider for each app I try. Hughesnet is not one of those. I can select Spectrum, who I have in CLT, but each app I try this with says some variation of "Your spectrum settings do not include/allow/authorize this content".

How does a person cut the cord if the app requires a "cord" to begin with?
Are these channel/station apps like TBS/TNT/CBS/etc? You have to have a cable/tv package, not just internet service. So if you have Spectrum TV service in the big CLT, you *should* be able to download the apps station apps and login with your Spectrum id/pw. Unless Spectrum is using location services to see that you are out of service area (which I don't know if they do or not). I've never had a problem using station/channel apps in different locations than where it is based out of......does that make sense?

Tech people...What the hell am I missing? Samsung TV hooked up to Hughesnet (satellite web only) for internet at my SC house. No cable provider here. Trying to install TV apps from the Samsung TV app store but am required to input a cable provider for each app I try. Hughesnet is not one of those. I can select Spectrum, who I have in CLT, but each app I try this with says some variation of "Your spectrum settings do not include/allow/authorize this content".

Are you installing from the Google Play Store, or from a Samsung app store?

We have a Sony tv running Android, and no cable service. Wife has installed several apps from the Google Play store, never an issue and no prompts.

A lot of the cable network steaming services require a cable subscription. Peacock, Comcast whatever, etc.

Cable cutter type streaming services like plex, YouTube TV, Netflix, Hulu, whatever should allow you to install and log in with your respective accounts.

Why is it that I can not sell a kidney, but I can finance tooth implants?

Got the cruiser back after the fender and roof hole patch.

F812376C-19E2-46E9-9E43-418DAA2EE4A0.jpeg
DFDA1F86-B77E-43BC-8C25-AD7F4E564FE1.jpeg
242A1265-D3B2-4793-9AC0-A4CD0B8A4056.jpeg
F5708C40-6ADC-4019-8F08-772C7ABCC91E.jpeg

How'd it turn out? Enquiring minds want to know - well, at least I do.... :)

Agree! My only advice was to "buy an LG" - but that doesn't solve all your problems :)

I gave up. I was able to put Prime on it but the satellite internet sucks bad enough here that I'm lucky to get 5+ minutes of viewing before it pauses to spool up for 2-20 seconds.

Hell, even the built in Samsung TV Plus app doesn't work with our lake internet situation. The channels and programs show on the guide but none of them tune in. Worked fine on that TV when it was in CLT. I've updated the system, reset the system, updated again. Turns out I really don't care.

Johnny might have hit on something regarding cable packages and app success. BUT... I was able to install and watch the History Channel app for a couple hours at the lake, before it quit, by using my Charlotte Spectrum account ID, though I'm unable to do so at the house in Charlotte where that account actually is. Probably because I don't have a cable package that includes History Channel...but why would I have gotten it, even briefly, at the lake house???

The Motu Leaf OTA continues to give me 20-40 channels, depending on weather, just by hanging on the wall behind the TV. It gives me the Olympics, Magnum PI, Quincy, and Tales of Wells Fargo channels...so I'm pretty good with that. I'll try mounting it outdoors in the proper direction one day when I get the gumption.

Agree! My only advice was to "buy an LG" - but that doesn't solve all your problems :)
Recent cord cutter here...we're on AT&T Internet but using YoutubeTV for the Cable Basics and then have Prime, Disney+ and Netflix. We use Samsung TV as the operating system and have had no issues. We use Google Chromecast for the old VIZIO TVs. Back when we had Spectrum, we were unable to log into our apps if we were using internet in a non-service area...ex, using HBO app in California was blocked using my Spectrum Login. With YoutubeTV b/c it's 100% an OTA option, I haven't had any issues anywhere in the US, and often outside of the US. Outside of the US Netflix/Prime TV/YoutubeTV sometimes works differently and some shows/channels are blocked by local restrictions in my experience.

I gave up. I was able to put Prime on it but the satellite internet sucks bad enough here that I'm lucky to get 5+ minutes of viewing before it pauses to spool up for 2-20 seconds.

Hell, even the built in Samsung TV Plus app doesn't work with our lake internet situation. The channels and programs show on the guide but none of them tune in. Worked fine on that TV when it was in CLT. I've updated the system, reset the system, updated again. Turns out I really don't care.

Johnny might have hit on something regarding cable packages and app success. BUT... I was able to install and watch the History Channel app for a couple hours at the lake, before it quit, by using my Charlotte Spectrum account ID, though I'm unable to do so at the house in Charlotte where that account actually is. Probably because I don't have a cable package that includes History Channel...but why would I have gotten it, even briefly, at the lake house???

The Motu Leaf OTA continues to give me 20-40 channels, depending on weather, just by hanging on the wall behind the TV. It gives me the Olympics, Magnum PI, Quincy, and Tales of Wells Fargo channels...so I'm pretty good with that. I'll try mounting it outdoors in the proper direction one day when I get the gumption.

Hey - Nice on th Mohu leaf antenna - pretty sweet with the channels. :) I hear you on the interwebs and your present sucky satellite internet - the latency will kill you and their caps. also..... I know a lot of the channel apps like History and others will allow you to watch certain content for free even without a qualifying cable package - but maybe you got lucky, too, for a couple of hours. If you haven't put in your address yet at Starlink you should - lots more cells opening up recently and it would be a game changer for you in regards to interwebs...... :) gl! :) Oh, and if you need any insight/help for possible interwebs there let me know - I've been through a lot with cell/lte/resellers in the last couple of years. Not an expert by any means, but always willing to try and help....and not saying you need/want help...

Last edited:
Recent cord cutter here...we're on AT&T Internet but using YoutubeTV for the Cable Basics and then have Prime, Disney+ and Netflix. We use Samsung TV as the operating system and have had no issues. We use Google Chromecast for the old VIZIO TVs. Back when we had Spectrum, we were unable to log into our apps if we were using internet in a non-service area...ex, using HBO app in California was blocked using my Spectrum Login. With YoutubeTV b/c it's 100% an OTA option, I haven't had any issues anywhere in the US, and often outside of the US. Outside of the US Netflix/Prime TV/YoutubeTV sometimes works differently and some shows/channels are blocked by local restrictions in my experience.

This is exactly what we do. I dont use YouTube TV a whole lot, but it's been clutch for the Olympics. My FIL uses it for news and Nascar mostly.

10 years no cable TV!

^^ We need to take the $$ we spend now on basic cable and use it to go to a bar and watch the Chiefs play vs paying pretty much only to catch every third game on local TV. That is about the only reason we have cable anymore :( We used to get HBO at the B&B, but the whole B&B had cable for guests, too. We like local news and weather, but frankly, I would rather have a good online subscription to like the News and Observer instead, too.

Ordered some Bilstein 6112's for the 4runner - putting 1.5" on the front for a little better ride and clearance. Bought them with the top hat installed, so no more near-death experiences like with the Tundra :)

Looking forward to swapping when they come in!

In Salt Lake City tomorrow. If only there were a place that has vehicles I like all under one roof? Any ideas? Haha.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom