One picture.... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Just back from the paint shop...621 acrylic enamel (Dupont)...more to come as I hang the pieces back on!

Dave
dsc199a.jpg

Looks great! Can you tell me more about the paint and prep? I'm about 2-3 weeks behind you with my '79 and new Aqualu tub.

My painter is saying that we need to DA the entire tub to ensure the self-etching primer has a good surface to "bite".

Also, what did you use to coat the underside and inside of the tub?

Thanks!

That is the best FJ40 color ever. Good to see someone doing something other than beige or cammo.

I love the green...and red and mustard and well, I like em all. Even the non-stock copper color posted awhile back.

Lookin' good Blue60! Post up more pic's when ya' get the front clip bolted on.

x3 on the mustard. :D

But, this is looking good. Was this a frame on paint job?

Ahhh, 621 Rustic Green. The color of my very fist FJ40...

Acrylic Enamel. Now that's another story. I sure hope you have better luck than I did. That same first 40 was painted approx 1985 with Dupont Centari acrylic enamel. All new paint looks great for a while. In a matter of several years it cracked like you sanded it with 600 grit and got chalky.

Here's a picture from a year or so ago that I found
Chevota1.jpg

That is the best FJ40 color ever. Good to see someone doing something other than beige or cammo.

i object your honor

im a sucker for freeborn :cool:

good job. looks great

To all...

Appreciate all the comments...I'm beginning to see the light at the end of the tunnel.

This is still a 3 years frame off renovation in progress, The Aqualu tub and cowl were picked up at Cruiser Solutions (closest location I could travel to easily). They joined the two pieces, line-x'd, sanded and primed it for me with PPG product. Approx two years later I'm at this point and working with my local body paint friend to get the thing painted as I'm ready to reinstall after pre-fitting everything on and doing what "tweaking" and drilling I had to do prior to paint. The paint chosen was based on the original color, and is indeed Dupont Centari acrylic enamal. We'll see how it holds up over the long run up here in Maine. It was painted with the body/cowl in place and bolted up to the frame, and the steering column removed along with everything else.

More pics next week!

Cheers,

Dave

...the paint chosen was based on the original color, and is indeed Dupont Centari acrylic enamal. We'll see how it holds up over the long run up here in Maine...

You'll be sooorrrrrry. I didn't even think you could buy that crap anymore.....

Dgangle is right. That paint needs to go. The only solution is to box it all up and ship it to me immediately. My '40 used to be 621 rustic green, but is now more of a faded green/rust color. I will do a multi-year test and let you know how the paint holds up.

The Rustic Green on my 40 looks like 30 year old paint. Still hanging tough from the factory but it's looking very dull/faded. Fine, though, for a trail truck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom