OME BP-51 OWNERS...... ROLL CALL......... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

@arich How much lift did a 0mm preload provide?

rich said:
Tire Height 32"
Rear ground to lip 38.5
Front 36.5"

710BAB26-C8B3-4930-9E42-90E6E9F2F344.jpeg

It might be more helpful to post a center of hub to fender measurement to take out variations from different tires. On my stock weight 2013 LC, zero preload on front BP-51s puts that measurement between 21.75" and 22". There can be some slight variation depending on your alignment. I don't remember what the stock measurement was.

I just received the last of the parts for my BP-51 lift with 2722 springs. My 200 is stock other than a prinsu rack, rock warrior wheels, and ko2 tires. No bumpers, no winch. I will end up with budbuilt sliders soon, they are being powder coated now.

I confirmed my fronts are at the factory 20mm preload. It looks like that would be too much of a lift and too harsh of a ride. Reading this and other threads it seems like I need to target between 5mm and 10mm preload.

I am planning to install it in the next couple of days. Does anyone here have any lessons learned on their settings that are not already posted they would like to share? I am targeting a little rake, similar to stock.
My only comment is that if you aren’t a really good mechanic, find someone who 1) is, and 2) has Toyota experience, to help you. I’ve got about $2k of “repairs” on mine - mostly in labor and new CV joints/axles. If you don’t have the right tools, and aren’t experienced in pulling all that stuff out and putting it back, then it will be a character building event.

It might be more helpful to post a center of hub to fender measurement to take out variations from different tires. On my stock weight 2013 LC, zero preload on front BP-51s puts that measurement between 21.75" and 22". There can be some slight variation depending on your alignment. I don't remember what the stock measurement was.
Agreed but that's all the info I had on my phone at the moment.

Slee says ARB isn't rebuilding BP-51s Any know better?
Ant

Slee says ARB isn't rebuilding BP-51s Any know better?
Ant
Might have to correct this statement. We did discuss rebuilding with ARB some time ago and they indicated they can do it, but not sure on the turn around. We have not had the opportunity to send a set in for rebuild. Right now we are not sure how that would work or the cost.

Anyone know anywhere in TX that has a BP-51 in stock and can install (2017)

@TXCRSR I had to piece mine together from multiple vendors, and even then, I had to get some parts directly from Australia.

A note of caution... many vendors will state they have things in stock when they really don't. Even after calling them to confirm that a part is in stock, they'll write back and offer the part on backorder. If you've already ordered the other parts, your SOL unless you can get all of them. In that case, if you do decide to return some things, you'll get charged restocking fees.

Twice I've ordered parts and received something completely different than what was ordered and even listed on the invoice.

Final bit of advice... don't order unless you're willing to drive to SLEE and have them installed correctly. At this time my LC is in a shop trying to reverse a horribly botched BP-51 install, which will be the subject of a post some other day.

@TXCRSR I had to piece mine together from multiple vendors, and even then, I had to get some parts directly from Australia.

A note of caution... many vendors will state they have things in stock when they really don't. Even after calling them to confirm that a part is in stock, they'll write back and offer the part on backorder. If you've already ordered the other parts, your SOL unless you can get all of them. In that case, if you do decide to return some things, you'll get charged restocking fees.

Twice I've ordered parts and received something completely different than what was ordered and even listed on the invoice.

Final bit of advice... don't order unless you're willing to drive to SLEE and have them installed correctly. At this time my LC is in a shop trying to reverse a horribly botched BP-51 install, which will be the subject of a post some other day.
Thanks for the heads up and advise! That will be a good reason to head up to CO!

Now we're dying to know the story of the horribly botched BP-51 installation! When you are ready

Front measurement is 23.75" center hub to fender with ARB Summit and Warn Zeon 12-S Platinum and front preload at 20mm. There is essentially no down travel. I am pulling the fronts back out tomorrow evening and will reduce the preload to ~10mm.

I just received the last of the parts for my BP-51 lift with 2722 springs. My 200 is stock other than a prinsu rack, rock warrior wheels, and ko2 tires. No bumpers, no winch. I will end up with budbuilt sliders soon, they are being powder coated now.

I confirmed my fronts are at the factory 20mm preload. It looks like that would be too much of a lift and too harsh of a ride. Reading this and other threads it seems like I need to target between 5mm and 10mm preload.

I am planning to install it in the next couple of days. Does anyone here have any lessons learned on their settings that are not already posted they would like to share? I am targeting a little rake, similar to stock.
BP-51s installed. The ride is a major upgrade even on the street. Install was really easy... drove it to Toyota and picked it up the next day :)

Prior to dropping it off, I did adjust the preload myself. I was worried they would forget, not do it correctly, or something would get lost between the service manager and the mechanic.

I adjusted it to 10mm on my own at a DIY shop. There is some conflicting information out there, and 10mm seemed like a good call at the time. That was my first time using a spring compressor. I have always outsourced that step when doing suspension work. They had a Branick 7200.

Then I read a bunch more and received some private message warnings/suggestions. I had the Toyota service center lower it to 5mm after talking directly to the tech that was going to install it. I was hesitant to go all the way to 0mm. If want more lift and a better ride I will back off the pre-load and add spacers in the future. Right now it seems perfect.

IMG_9226.jpg

Might have to correct this statement. We did discuss rebuilding with ARB some time ago and they indicated they can do it, but not sure on the turn around. We have not had the opportunity to send a set in for rebuild. Right now we are not sure how that would work or the cost.
I have an email into the customer service. The guy I worked with when I was tested the updated shock design that eliminated the clunk is no longer with them. I will update the thread when they respond.

I still don't get why ARB designed a rebuildable shock without the infrastructure to do rebuilds. You would think they of all companies would have the clout to do it. I get that the BP-51's are designed to last longer than a traditional race shock between rebuilds but they have been out what 3-4 years now for the 200 series? I'm sure it's a great performing shock but not being able to rebuild them is a huge oversight.

Variable loads don't affect my squeak either. It's definitely from the upper frame mount. I'm using 2723's and it's crazy how much they squeak. When you can hear it in the cab of a 200 with air and music on, you know it's a loud squeak.

Unfortunately for me, the supplier is a 4 day drive away. They don't seem to be very helpful either, unless I go to them. I'm half hoping that someone here will find a remedy, whether by chance or from ARB that I can also do. Squeaks bug the hell out of me. Especially on a new vehicle.
Same car and 2723, brand new car, 2 weeks ago the BP51 were mounted and the rear suspension squeek like hell on both sides, replaced the top BP51 bushing with the original flat ones and retightened the nut but still squeaking, drives me crazy, Any solution ? Thanks

Same car and 2723, brand new car, 2 weeks ago the BP51 were mounted and the rear suspension squeek like hell on both sides, replaced the top BP51 bushing with the original flat ones and retightened the nut but still squeaking, drives me crazy, Any solution ? Thanks
I’ve heard people sticking with their Toyota OEM rubber bushings for the top mount. I wish I had mine as I’d swap them in. I hate suspension squeaks. My SPC UCA’s are also squeaking like mad. Drives me nuts.

I’ve heard people sticking with their Toyota OEM rubber bushings for the top mount. I wish I had mine as I’d swap them in. I hate suspension squeaks. My SPC UCA’s are also squeaking like mad. Drives me nuts.
I already changed the top mount to OEM rubber bushing but did not solve the problem, more ideas?

You need to add extra washers to the top right before the nut - assuming you already have only 1 lipped washer where they pass through the frame mount. I added 2 thick washers up top. It only squeaks if it isn't actually tight. You are probably running out of threads

IMG_7965.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom