OME BP-51 OWNERS...... ROLL CALL......... (5 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Which ICON setup did he go with?

She's Back!!! (my truck needs a name) After several months of waiting for the ARB Engineering Samples and then MY inability to schedule time to install them I finally got them on last night. It's been less than 24 hours and I have not gotten an alignment but they are silent and feel great. I took a picture at the exact same location as my avatar to make sure the truck had the same stance.

Settings:
Preload: 0mm (barely one thread visible)
F C2R6
R C2R6
Rear Springs: OME 2720
I'll take fender height measurements later and insert here.

No additional weight in/on the truck except the Koni 90s in the trunk and lots of tools.

So you all know my history. 6 different setups beside the BP51s. Originally installed BP51s January 2016, clunk developed in passenger side almost immediately, ARB swapped out passenger strut. Clunk came back on same side after a few days. Tolerated it through the summer but had many conversations with ARB about diagnosing the problem.
January 2017, ARB air freights a new set of "upgraded" struts. They're not good, the clunk is worse than even. I remove the BP51s and install the Koni 90/King Springs. April 2017 ARB delivers me these "engineering samples" to test. I have set A, ARB has set B on their truck and we'll be comparing notes over the next week. My initial feelings are very positive. Sorry but I can't elaborate without discussing with ARB first. Stay Tuned

FullSizeRender.jpg

FullSizeRender_1.jpg

IMG_7001.JPG

IMG_7002.JPG

Made in Thailand? I didn't see that one coming ...

Congrats on being able to enjoy your roller again! looks great

Made in Thailand? I didn't see that one coming ...

Originally Posted by ARB 4X4 Accessories
Hi guys, this rumour is 100% incorrect.

We were contacted yesterday by 3AW in Melbourne wishing to confirm a claim by one of their listeners that we were moving our manufacturing to the Philippines. After speaking with us directly, the rumour was dismissed on air shortly afterwards.

ARB have finishing facilities in most states, however our largest manufacturing plant is at Kilsyth Melbourne and employs many hundreds of people. It runs 24 hours around the clock with three rolling shifts each day. ARB are proud to be an Australian manufacturer and have no intention of closing or relocating this facility. In fact, we've recently spent millions of dollars on additional machinery to increase efficiency and output in our Australian facilities. Products from Kilsyth are dispatched to all corners of Australia and the world.

ARB products can be purchased in approximately 150 countries around the world and a number of those countries do not have trade agreements with Australia, making our products very expensive there when supplied from Australia. To address this and to build export markets, we built a sister factory to Kilsyth some 7 years ago. This factory is located in Thailand and was built by ARB. It is staffed by ARB employees and managed by staff who started their ARB career at Kilsyth. Jigs and fixtures used in that factory are built at Kilsyth.

Owning a factory in Thailand not only provides a logical and economic point to deliver products into some of our export markets, it also allows ARB to work closely with vehicle manufacturers in that country such as Nissan, Mitsubishi and others.

To dismiss this latest rumour once and for all, a huge range of ARB products (Air Lockers, the vast majority of bull bars & protection equipment and our range of performance compressors to name just a few) that are used in Australia and around the world are manufactured at Kilsyth in Melbourne by Australian staff. ARB is an Australian success story and is firmly committed to Australian manufacturing.

If anyone ever has a question relating to ARB or our manufacturing plants or processes, I'm only a PM away and would be happy to answer them before this kind of incorrect information is published on the public forum.

To avoid confusion for other forum members, it would be great if the subject of this thread could be updated
icon_wink.gif

Cheers,

Sam Boden
Online Communications Manager
ARB 4x4 Accessories

Which ICON setup did he go with?
He has the stage five system. I drove it the other day and it is very nice. I would have to spend more time in it to tell you all the difference between it and my BP51's.. I still love my BP51's but need to get the clunk fixed. It is starting to drive me crazy.

Performance (despite noise) on the BPs has
[QUOTE="dkw3, post: 11023122, member: 46278I still love my BP51's but need to get the clunk fixed. It is starting to drive me crazy.[/QUOTE]

Or...put mud tires on and boom. No more clunk! :hillbilly:

Lets hope they come up with a fix. Is way, way way overdue. Cant wait to see these shocks performing how they should from the start.

Lets hope they come up with a fix. Is way, way way overdue. Cant wait to see these shocks performing how they should from the start.

If you read Arich's post near the top of this page, it sounds like we may be really close.

He has the stage five system. I drove it the other day and it is very nice. I would have to spend more time in it to tell you all the difference between it and my BP51's.. I still love my BP51's but need to get the clunk fixed. It is starting to drive me crazy.

Just got new BFG TA KO2's (285-65-18) on my '17 200 series and next on my list is a Gamiviti rack and suspension - want the BP-51's but if they are having issues I might go with ICON stage 4 with SPC or stage 5.

On a camping trip and had about 600lbs of stuff loaded and the back felt like it was sitting lower than the front. I used to load this much in my '99 Trooper (which had OME expidition nitros - loved em) and it handled it like a champ. I like how well OME products hold up, so hoping the BP-51's will last longer than 50k miles before needing a rebuild if I go that route.

Will be interesting to see how they announce the fix... will it be a revision (e.g. BP-51s. :)).

Just got new BFG TA KO2's (285-65-18) on my '17 200 series and next on my list is a Gamiviti rack and suspension - want the BP-51's but if they are having issues I might go with ICON stage 4 with SPC or stage 5.

On a camping trip and had about 600lbs of stuff loaded and the back felt like it was sitting lower than the front. I used to load this much in my '99 Trooper (which had OME expidition nitros - loved em) and it handled it like a champ. I like how well OME products hold up, so hoping the BP-51's will last longer than 50k miles before needing a rebuild if I go that route.

Will be interesting to see how they announce the fix... will it be a revision (e.g. BP-51s. :)).
The BP's are wonderful except for the clunk. Their performance is outstanding... After driving in the 200 for 11+ hours and hearing the clunk the whole way it drive's you just about nuts.. I am soooo looking forward to the fix...

What percentage of the shocks out in the wild exhibit the clunk? I've had mine on for six months without noise, although my hearing sucks. Is this something that WILL eventually happen, or could I just be lucky?

What percentage of the shocks out in the wild exhibit the clunk? I've had mine on for six months without noise, although my hearing sucks. Is this something that WILL eventually happen, or could I just be lucky?

Happens almost immediately and in may case I heard it on the way home from install. If you don't have a clunking doubt you will.
The third set which was another experimental set clunked on install.
I think they've got it now but let's give it a couple weeks.
I'm honest with my thoughta and findings and I don't blow smoke.

Not doubting you or the issue at all. Was just wondering the likelihood I would encounter it as well.

Thanks for all the insight.

It also sounds like temperature related too. Luckily, I haven't heard it ever out here in SoCal.

I think I might get back into this conversation.

I've had my BP-51s for over a year. Been in very cold conditions to very hot. Driven across the country a couple times now, with a very heavy load.

Never had a "clunk."

The internals are the same as in the BP-51s on Tacoma/FJ/4Runners and Jeep JKs. I've searched pretty hard on those vehicle main forums and never found those guys talking about clunking issues.

I'm not saying people are lying, far from it, just because most of something works doesn't mean everyone of them work.

But I also wonder how many of us have had prior race suspensions. My Icons, Kings, sway a ways, and fox from prior vehicles all made some banging sounds.

I remember when my wife and I were dating, and she asked what that bang clunk sound was on my '96 Tacoma's fox shocks at the time. I said it was just the coil overs doing their job.

Does that mean some people aren't having issues, I don't know. But that is my own story from just my experience, doesn't make it right.

The internals are the same as in the BP-51s on Tacoma/FJ/4Runners and Jeep JKs. I've searched pretty hard on those vehicle main forums and never found those guys talking about clunking issues.

I'm not saying people are lying, far from it, just because most of something works doesn't mean everyone of them work.

hmmm...

bp-51 clunk - Google Search

Yea, that thread (the actually thread name is OME BP-51, anyone have them yet)

A guy mentions he has a clunk, another guy talks about how bypass shocks make sounds, they do. That guy then talks about the Radflo clunk.

Not trying to say people don't know what they are talking about, I sure haven't driven everyone's BP-51 set up, so who knows.

I wonder sometimes about both side of every story.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom