Older than dirt - refreshing a ‘64 FJ40 FST (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Welding begins tomorrow. I counted 156 158 holes to weld up. Would have been 158 160, but 2 were on the right fender that I replaced!

Last edited:
What are you going to do after lunch? :D

If I was doing it, would take considerably longer than that. But since I'm having someone who knows what he is doing do it, might not be that far off the mark.

People use to love to drill holes in these older rigs. I don't remember having that many but it was over 100 for sure.

Welding begins tomorrow. I counted 156 158 holes to weld up. Would have been 158 160, but 2 were on the right fender that I replaced!
Forgot to count 2 holes on the hood. (Silly-looking hood ornament.) So actual count is 158.

And today 140 of those holes are no more. A bit more time tomorrow and it's prepare for sand blasting.

IMG_1097.jpg

How did Mr Toyota create the holes for the passenger mirror? Just drill and thread, or something welded? Mine doesn't have them and I think I need them.

Also, I think you missed one.:rimshot:

How did Mr Toyota create the holes for the passenger mirror? Just drill and thread, or something welded? Mine doesn't have them and I think I need them.
Mr. Toyota didn't create holes there. That mirror was obviously added later. Drilled and bolted with nuts and big fender washers.

All obvious holes gone. Will be calling the sand blaster and painter tomorrow to coordinate drop off dates. Plan is to disassemble and remove body from frame, haul body parts to sand blast, then immediately from there to paint shop for epoxy, then the final metal work and paint. Weather is supportive of that as we are now entering the dry season in Western Oregon. We aren't likely to get any rain from now through mid-September.

Last edited:
This past week has seen some results. I started stripping parts off to prepare for sandblasting. The rear half of the tub is pretty much ready. Been looking at the welding that was done, while it wasn't as neat as I would have liked, it was affordable and is probably plenty good enough. There will be a bit more grinding and clean up to be done when the body is being prepped for paint, but all in all it should be fine. I expect to find more metal work in the floor and rockers once the sandblasters are done anyway.

Then before I began to pull the front sheet metal off, I decided to pause while it was still drivable and try to correct a running issue now, rather than have to wait until the body was painted and back on the rig. That was a longer process than I expected, just wrapped it up today. Details here -> Solved - 1F w/SD40 carb stumbling at steady light throttle

So far I haven't had to drill out too many broken bolts, just a few here and there. Getting all the Phillips head screws on the windshield hinges and latch hooks took some time, but all 20 are now free and ready to pull. I expect to get back to disassembly later this week, will probably take all the loose parts to the sandblaster early next week. Then after pulling all the dash bits, wiring and steering I will need to gather a few friends to lift the tub off the frame. While the body is off, I will do some cleaning and painting on the frame, install a new clutch, and reseal the transmission and t-case. Have been in communication with @Awl_TEQ about tooling for a correct rear frame rail for the pre-69 40s. Hoping that I will have the body painted and back by mid-August.

That's assuming I finally decide on a color...

IMG_1121.jpg

IMG_1120.jpg

No Keith, it will not be bandaid. My wife and I are in total agreement on that. Still looking at period-style blues, or maybe some other tan/beige options. Lily White and Spring Green have also been eliminated from consideration. Seminole Red is a long shot, not really in the selection pool, but not vetoed altogether either.

Band aid!

Where have I been? In 4 decades of wrenching on Cruisers I have never heard that 60’s color referred to as bandaid...but it fits!

Learned something new today.

Just messing with you. Here is my vote, taken from another randomly downloaded, uncredited picture, even if it does have a hardtop.
IMG_3280.jpg

Don't know what it's called.

looks like horizon blue (actual translation comes up as horizontal)
Something close to Horizon(tal) Blue is a leading candidate.

Where have I been? In 4 decades of wrenching on Cruisers I have never heard that 60’s color referred to as bandaid...but it fits!

Learned something new today.
Wish I could take credit for coining that name, Mark. But I can't, others beat me to it years ago. Here's my best shot of the original "bandaid" paint on mine.

8dff49d0-486c-493d-9bdc-3539de7c9bc9-jpeg.1594826

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom