Older than dirt - refreshing a ‘64 FJ40 FST (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

So the question is, why does the hole exist? Something was there. Perhaps a switch for optional fog lights?
There WAS a Vader light switch in that hole when I got the truck, but the switch was not factory and was probably added by the original owner. I just got lucky that he actually drilled that hole in a good spot. That was not his normal MO.

Last edited:
More parts trickling in. I now have a correct inside mirror, although it needs some help.

2D3EF30C-01FA-43CE-8805-0A7564777109.jpeg
CA9B98D4-5311-4AEC-802A-21D9BE53254E.jpeg
IMG_0990.jpg

I also have 2 tin cup reservoirs on my masters again.

IMG_0992.jpg

Pulled apart the front axle looking for worn parts. Found them. Both inner axle bushings are worn like this. Shafts can move over 1/8".

Beyond that, just the normal seals and such. Looks like the bushings for these ball & claw axles are still available at SOR. Will be ordering soon.

IMG_0996.JPG (1).jpg

Working through the fuel system now. Installed new fuel pump, and cleaned up the original fuel filter (glass bowl) and put in a new element. Sheet of phenolic material just arrived, will begin building a carb spacer tomorrow.

Found two more date codes, one of which really narrows the build date range.

Fuel filter -

View attachment 1606744

Fuel pump -

View attachment 1606743

So the progression of dates so far is:

Carb - 3A3 - January 3, 1963
Block casting - 30112 - January 12, 1963
Fuel filter - 3B1 - February 1, 1963
Fuel pump - 3I1 - September 1, 1963
Sold to 1st owner - November ?, 1963

So the actual build date was probably in September.

With 23mm lugs and 3-FJ40-19056 VIN, the build date would precede August 1963. A page from treerootCO's Toyota Service Bulletins posting. Your rig is 1,120 vehicles prior to the changeover. Through the first half of 1964 Toyota averaged 436/month based on the SOR VIN table. Assuming a similar rate, yours is about 2.5 months before the 23mm to 21mm change.
save0150-jpg.1038764

With 23mm lugs and 3-FJ40-19056 VIN, the build date would precede August 1963. A page from treerootCO's Toyota Service Bulletins posting. Your rig is 1,120 vehicles prior to the changeover. Through the first half of 1964 Toyota averaged 436/month based on the SOR VIN table. Assuming a similar rate, yours is about 2.5 months before the 23mm to 21mm change.
OK, that is really interesting. On the same page linked above is a bulletin on the change from warning lights to gauges for oil pressure and ammeter with July '63 production. My rig does have warning lights and precedes that change by 810 vehicles.

Those two items are consistent with a build date in May 1963, possibly late April. While most of the date codes I've found so far are consistent with that build date, the date code on my fuel pump is not, so that pump must have been replaced at some point. Probably fairly early on, as the date code with a '3' and the presence of the hand priming lever tend to point to 1963 production, not '73 or '83. Not sure how long a '63 build pump would sit on the shelf somewhere.

Thanks for posting this, it clears up the timeline some.

Last edited:
Been busy with Porsche Club duties, as well as getting my repro sill sticker project rolling, but was able to get back to the 40 over the past few days.

All the axle parts arrived late last week. So it now has new shaft bushings and wiper seals. Fresh gear oil and wheel bearings repacked.

The shaft bushings took care of the excessive lash or play I felt in the front driveline. Got everything up there fairly clean, too. Not too nice, I'm not building a show rig, so some dirt and crud should be expected.

So mechanically, it is just about there. I still think I need to put a clutch in it, and will do the rear main and input shaft seals while I'm at it. But other than that, I think it's pretty good.

Almost time for the appearance parts...

Back on (and also off!) the road again after the front axle work. Also now sporting the final prototype of the new repro reflective rear sill stickers I'm selling. (See Small Business classifieds or link in my signature.) The real one won't go on until after paint.

Determined the root cause of the rig's underwhelming performance. The throttle linkage is so sloppy from wear that I'm never getting much more than 1/2 throttle. Some work required on that.
img_1010-jpg.1686171

img_1011-jpg.1686173

Last edited:
Still being distracted from the 40. This past week or so my focus has been on doing some minor loose end work on a Porsche for a friend whose husband died last fall. That work is starting to wrap up, so easing back into the Toyota work.

Have been gathering a few more parts, notably a jack (functional but not correct, it's from an 80), a Vader light switch, door travel limiters, correct early wiper blades (squeegees, really), and a new front bumper bar.

Have re-bushed most of the throttle linkage, but haven't tested it yet.

Getting close to ordering the top parts I need. Also talking with a couple of sand blasting shops about cost to have the tub and body parts blasted.

IMG_1019.jpg

This task was a long time coming, and took a long time to boot.

First owner welded some sort of hitch stinger to the bottom of the pintle hitch. No other connection, no reinforcements, just arc welded to the bottom of the pintle. Looked bad, worked worse. Here's an early picture.

2e22c637-a6a5-4c36-ba6d-7f3b5536b4d8-jpeg.1582138

I spent several hours over the past 2 days cutting through the weld beads to try to remove the ugly and save the pintle. Took way longer than I expected, the two beads he welded there were by far the very best welds he ever did anywhere on the truck! I still need to clean it up some with the bench grinder, but the end result is that the pintle will be OK.

IMG_1038.jpg

Last edited:
Back on (and also off!) the road again after the front axle work. Also now sporting the final prototype of the new repro reflective rear sill stickers I'm selling. (See Small Business classifieds or link in my signature.) The real one won't go on until after paint.

Determined the root cause of the rig's underwhelming performance. The throttle linkage is so sloppy from wear that I'm never getting much more than 1/2 throttle. Some work required on that.
img_1010-jpg.1686171

img_1011-jpg.1686173
I think your going to have to keep the pink towel with the rig. It seems a part of it now. ;)

I think your going to have to keep the pink towel with the rig. It seems a part of it now. ;)
Found another pink towel for the driver's side, but haven't got it installed yet...

Feel like I missed something on your thread-didn't follow it for a week or two then BAM! You have fabricated the soft top bows. Nice work!

Feel like I missed something on your thread-didn't follow it for a week or two then BAM! You have fabricated the soft top bows. Nice work!
If you can stretch the definition of "fabricated" to include "purchased pre-made from Real Steel", then yes, I did.

I've been picking away at things over the past week, in between other non-LC work.

New room light switch for the Vader light.

IMG_1017.jpg

Finished restoring the dealer installed Hupp heater.

IMG_1043.jpg

Found the original pewter paint on the t-case lever under the cheap paint the original owner sprayed willy-nilly over the entire dash.

IMG_1068.jpg

Test fitted running boards with white pyramid vinyl.

IMG_1066.jpg

Cleaned, polished and lubed the wiper motors. Both work great now.

IMG_1069.jpg

Continuing to gather bits and pieces. Stuff arriving from all over. After looking at it closely, I decided the right fender was really hocked up and full of filler, so I picked up a really nice one off Craigslist. Now attempting to get all the front sheet metal to fit reasonably well as practice for after paint. Looking to possibly start disassembly for media blast next week.

IMG_1080.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom