Older than dirt - refreshing a ‘64 FJ40 FST (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Replacement air flow meter is on, and made a huge difference. I'm not able to take it on a real test drive right now (prep work for replacing the passenger floor pan is in progress), but it now runs totally normal in the garage, first time ever. Pretty confident I've got the worst behind me on the engine issue.

@Hogan -Yes, that's the spoiler I want. I don't have a picture that quite matches what I have in mind. Currently thinking color similar to the truck below, but striped like the white GTI. Maybe a little lighter shade, more of a darker silver, not a gray. Mine already has the single round headlight conversion, so that will stay as is. I may yet change my mind on the color...

DSC_1369.jpg
50765155131_28db89e5b7_k.jpg

Last edited:
Since the last update, the fuel pump and tank have been replaced, and the second half of the floor pan welded in. New tires next week (the ones on it now are almost 20 years old!). Starting to test fit all the new trim pieces, as I don't want to have to drill holes or tweak fitment after the truck has been painted. While there is still a little non-structural rust left to repair, I'll be talking with the painters about the job in the next couple of weeks.

IMG_2562.JPG

IMG_2923.jpg

IMG_2943.JPG

Last edited:
Finally have the fuel injection pretty much settled, after working to reverse years and years of abuse, neglect and ill-advised tampering. It runs pretty well now, and dang! This little thing is QUICK!

Going back to the remaining welding now, just a couple areas of non-structural rust I need to patch. Have been in touch with the man who painted my 911 and he figures he can probably knock it out in a few weeks early this summer. I've been fitting all the new trim bits on it now, so that any drilling or other work that is needed can be done prior to the new paint.

The antenna was a recent addition. The little truck had no radio, speakers or antenna when I bought it. No antenna hole, either, as the fenders someone mounted when it was converted to round headlights had no hole. I plan to put it together "radio delete", but a future owner might want to add a radio. It would be a shame to then have to drill a hole through fresh paint for an antenna. So I decided that while I would not install a head unit or speakers, I'd go ahead and add an antenna now. And since it is a 16v VW, only one type of antenna will do...

IMG_2994.JPG

Progress slowed a fair amount during the past couple of months. For one thing, I'm a really slow welder. For another, I took about 4 weeks off to install upgraded A/C in my 911.

So there isn't a lot to show on the Bunny Truck right now. But today I did complete all the welding that I plan to do. It is possible (or actually, rather likely) that my painter will find more work during the body and paint prep. And that's OK. By doing the floor pans, bed floor patch and patching under the rear window myself, I feel pretty good about where I'm at.

Will drive the little guy across town to the paint shop soon, so the painter can see it in person for planning and estimate. Maybe tomorrow if he's available, otherwise sometime next week.

IMG_3277.JPG

Clear coat it and add a flux capacitor?

New seatbelts arrived and installed. I bought lift-latch type with snap-hook ends with a gray webbing that looks pretty good with pewter seat frame paint. Since the loop eyes for belts in my truck were removed years ago, I bought new hardware as well.

The hardware fit perfectly, the belts just snap on. I have not installed the cotter pins yet, though.

The nice thing about these are that if I later decide I want red belts after all, it’s less than $60 for the pair, and only a matter of a few seconds to swap them out.

View attachment 1644790

View attachment 1644791
Wondering where you got these eyebolts?

Nice work Arne. Now another Land Cruiser?

Nice work Arne. Now another Land Cruiser?
Let's not get too far ahead of things, Keith. It's not sold yet.

I won't rule out another LC. I do think that whatever I do next will need to be something that doesn't need a full repaint. So a patina LC might fit the bill, if I came across the right candidate. But the Bunny Truck has to be gone first.

Let's not get too far ahead of things, Keith. It's not sold yet.

I won't rule out another LC. I do think that whatever I do next will need to be something that doesn't need a full repaint. So a patina LC might fit the bill, if I came across the right candidate. But the Bunny Truck has to be gone first.
Yes, you did a good job on the Volkswagen, now to get back to fixing up a real vehicle again.

Not seeing you doing a patina restoration, but it would push your limits.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom