Older than dirt - refreshing a ‘64 FJ40 FST (1 Viewer)

whitey45

SILVER Star

Nothing better than an early T mechanical injection singing at 6800 rpm!! One of the few cars you can get a nice return on investment! Bought a 69 t in 2008 for $3500!! Needed trans rebuild, those days are long gone, now a trans cost more! Make sure the gas attendant in Oregon doesn’t fill the oil tank!

oregon fj

Serial rescuer of old vehicles
Newest project...

caddy004.jpeg

Yes, a German "pickup" (so to speak). Actually built in Pennsylvania. Not as slow as it looks, this one has been "refreshed" with a '92 GTI 2.0L 16v twin cam motor, connected to a very close-ratio 5 speed. It will be a very quick little bunny.

HelloKitty65

SILVER Star
Newest project...

View attachment 2432216

Yes, a German "pickup" (so to speak). Actually built in Pennsylvania. Not as slow as it looks, this one has been "refreshed" with a '92 GTI 2.0L 16v twin cam motor, connected to a very close-ratio 5 speed. It will be a very quick little bunny.
Cool. If there isn't a "I hate coyotes" web site, post a few pics here.

oregon fj

Serial rescuer of old vehicles
Still debugging the Motronic injection, problems from sitting too long, as well as ill-advised tampering by the PO. It runs, and shows promise as being really quick. But it doesn't run right yet. Awaiting some additional parts for that now.

Beyond that, the electrical bits have been pretty much dealt with, everything now works again - lights, gauges, etc.

New brakes both ends, including an upgrade to vented GTI up front. Suspension and steering all refreshed as well.

Polished the VW/Fuchs wheels, turned out quite nice.

And now the rust exploration has begun, pictured below is the back half of the passenger floor pan. Rust is present, but not horrible. Better than I feared.

Will be expanding my work to a new area on this one, as I plan to tackle the rust repair myself. New MIG welder should be delivered any day now.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Top Bottom