Oil warning light came on while driving (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I have no idea why. Oil level was always at the full mark and from what I read searching old threads the sensor is a little too sensitive. I figured as long as there was the proper amount of oil in it I didn't have to worry. When it went away after going w/ 10w30 I haven't thought about it 'til after this thread.:)

Dudes...I've never seen the light.:cool: I've never had to add oil between changes. If I saw the light, I would check the level. This motor has tons of reserve. Keep it topped off and don't worry about it.

You need to live more dangerously Andy... either that or my 80 uses/leaks too much oil. It seems I'm always a quart low. :doh:

mine comes (flickers)on almost exactly when the vehicle reaches the exact mileage on the little reminder sticker the Rocket Lube oil change place place in the upper left hand corner of the windshield. I dump a qt in light goes off! Next day or 3 I visit the Rocket Lube and out spits a clean vehicle from the car wash tube; all fluids topped off and wallet 40$ lighter!:doh:

Mine came on today for the first time.... :eek:

Going to pick up another quart at lunch. I don't think I'm a full quart low, about half way on the stick.

Keep a quart in your 80, mine does that periodically, if I' away from the house, I'll check it and add some if needed. I've noticed over the past year that my 80 likes oil. I have no leaks.

Keep a quart in your 80, mine does that periodically, if I' away from the house, I'll check it and add some if needed. I've noticed over the past year that my 80 likes oil. I have no leaks.

Mine does too... I'll have to monitor it more closely. I get a drop or two from the rear main/pan area every night, a slight puff from the exhaust on startup and no visible signs of blow back anywhere and i was over a quart low today. I was shocked to see that I had used that much oil in the last 2k miles (my eariler post shows that I thought it *might* be a half low)... especially with no visible warning signs. Gotta get in the habit of checking the oil every time I fill up. I put an extra quart in behind the 3rd row for the next time.....

mine comes on if I am 1/4" low of the full/high mark on the stick, but only after maybe a minute of warmup time than goes out within one minute of driving. not a problem really, just a reminder to check the oil next time I go for a drive and top off as needed.

Now my VW TDI.. ya.. the low oil light comes on about 30 seconds before you start sucking air off the bottom of the oil pan.... Nice.

What is with VW? I have the same issue on the wife's Passat. First time I ever changed the oil (after driving it from NY to IA) about 1.5 quarts came out of the drain pan. ??!!?? Seriously- design a better warning than that. We check her level every month now that we know about it- but I had never had a VW before.... Frickin' Germans!

Just found this thread because my light came on for the first time ever today. Checked it and it was 1qt low. I'm running Rotella 15/40 and it seems like it didn't consume any in about 4K. The last 1K it went through a 1qt.
The oil looked pretty thin draining out. I'm hoping the consumption is due to the oil breaking down. Just changed it and made a point to document mileage a little more closely.

Also, I went with the bigger filter this time that the 96 LX calls for. Same number that I ran on previous Cruisers.
Everybody here comfortable with that?

:lol: Mine has never come on, even when a little low. I just check it once every other fill up. About once every other week. I don't ever need to top it off till about three hundred miles before my oil change is up again. Then I'm about 1/2 a quart low. I'm amazed at how little oil this thing goes through.

Edit: I guess it does come on, but only on first start up after my oil change. At least I know it works. :)

I got my oil changed Friday. And yes, it's topped off.

The oil light came on today while driving. Lets just say that my oil light is *VERY* sensitive.

Now the :princess: truck comes on at darn near exactly a quart low.

I'm half tempted to just pull the bulb since it's on so much. I should probably replace the sensor, but it doesn't look particularly simple....

sensor is easy to replace just pull the 4 bolts and the sensor comes right out but it is kinda pricey, $260 pricey:eek: and that is with my 25% discount at the local toyota

i replaced mine when i did my head-gasket since i had the pans off for cleaning the float part of the sensor nearly fell apart in my hands, wondering if some people just have a busted float

:lol: Mine has never come on, even when a little low. I just check it once every other fill up. About once every other week. I don't ever need to top it off till about three hundred miles before my oil change is up again. Then I'm about 1/2 a quart low. I'm amazed at how little oil this thing goes through.

Edit: I guess it does come on, but only on first start up after my oil change. At least I know it works. :)

I'm not sure 3FE's even have a "low oil level" sensor/light; just a low/no oil pressure
sensor/light.

Curtis

I'm not sure 3FE's even have a "low oil level" sensor/light; just a low/no oil pressure
sensor/light.

Hey Pookie,

After driving the Cruiser today and checking the owner's manual, I'm convinced that 91-92's have no light of any kind related to oil pressure and/or level: There's the pressure gauge, and that's it.

What light are you thinking of (location, shape,...)?

Curtis

Well, I believe its just below the oil pressure guage. CAn't remember for sure since it only came on three thousand miles ago when I started up after my oil change for the first time. It stays lit for about two to three seconds, then it goes off as pressure climbs to normal.

Well, I believe its just below the oil pressure guage. CAn't remember for sure since it only came on three thousand miles ago when I started up after my oil change for the first time. It stays lit for about two to three seconds, then it goes off as pressure climbs to normal.

Huh.

Maybe it's one of those things (there are a few) the 92's have that the 91's don't.

Curtis

To revive an old thread...I’ve had my oil light come on and off intermittently. It seems to come on more when the engine is warm. It also seems to go on and off going over bumps. I was thinking it was dirty, so I pulled the sensor and cleaned it. While cleaning it, there was one little collar part that looked broken (see picture). I put it back in with a new gasket and changed the oil (you don’t need the oil pan drained to pull the sensor). Light still comes on and off (UGH). My thought is that little broken collar piece on that small disc just above the main float is just enough to hang up the main float so it doesn’t go up easily and gets stuck (maybe that disc isn’t supposed to separate from the main float)? Also, when the oil is warm it is moves easier with bumps on rough roads, so it gets separated and hangs up then the light goes on and off with bumps. I’m thinking about trimming that collar or just removing that top disc? Anyone have any thoughtS or experience with this? (Trying to avoid the pmcost of a new sensor).

FCA64A92-41F3-472E-AF6E-058D619DF654.jpeg

EBCA1572-EC0E-46F1-AB09-A52E1AF93A3D.jpeg

E3480FF9-4E04-4D7A-BC58-470D613EFFFE.jpeg

To revive an old thread...I’ve had my oil light come on and off intermittently. It seems to come on more when the engine is warm. It also seems to go on and off going over bumps. I was thinking it was dirty, so I pulled the sensor and cleaned it. While cleaning it, there was one little collar part that looked broken (see picture). I put it back in with a new gasket and changed the oil (you don’t need the oil pan drained to pull the sensor). Light still comes on and off (UGH). My thought is that little broken collar piece on that small disc just above the main float is just enough to hang up the main float so it doesn’t go up easily and gets stuck (maybe that disc isn’t supposed to separate from the main float)? Also, when the oil is warm it is moves easier with bumps on rough roads, so it gets separated and hangs up then the light goes on and off with bumps. I’m thinking about trimming that collar or just removing that top disc? Anyone have any thoughtS or experience with this? (Trying to avoid the pmcost of a new sensor).

View attachment 2242498

View attachment 2242499

View attachment 2242500
Nice to see a actual picture of the unit. Had similar issue about 12 years ago. After taking to dealer while being on Trip to Sequoia then Sacramento the light came on going down the long incline to the desert from ST George. Checked oil and level okay. Had dealer look at in Sacramento and they indicated oil pressure switch. Purchased new one and installed with minimal tools at Moms house. Luckily 1/2" is same as 13MM.
Well light came back in WY coming back. Took our mechanic, Toyota OEM only, independent. They diagnosed it as this switch. The float had a crack and would fill up with oil and send a warning light.
Long story short, instead of 260$ plus labor, they offered to zip tie. Has worked with out coming on ever since.

I believe the 97 FZJ80 has all the bells and whistles including this oil level indicator. Now at 286K new head gasket a year ago and burning oil I just make sure to check the oil level. Old school. Still search for part but at 260$ many other things to fix and maintain. Still have the original working oil sender unit.

Nice to see a actual picture of the unit. Had similar issue about 12 years ago. After taking to dealer while being on Trip to Sequoia then Sacramento the light came on going down the long incline to the desert from ST George. Checked oil and level okay. Had dealer look at in Sacramento and they indicated oil pressure switch. Purchased new one and installed with minimal tools at Moms house. Luckily 1/2" is same as 13MM.
Well light came back in WY coming back. Took our mechanic, Toyota OEM only, independent. They diagnosed it as this switch. The float had a crack and would fill up with oil and send a warning light.
Long story short, instead of 260$ plus labor, they offered to zip tie. Has worked with out coming on ever since.

I believe the 97 FZJ80 has all the bells and whistles including this oil level indicator. Now at 286K new head gasket a year ago and burning oil I just make sure to check the oil level. Old school. Still search for part but at 260$ many other things to fix and maintain. Still have the original working oil sender unit.

Thanks for the reply...zip tie maybe a good option? I would worry it would get heated enough over time that could break and end up in the oil pan? I guess, it is unlikely to get past the filter if it did break and end up draining with the next oil change? I may try to trim that disc first...zip tie it up as option #2.

Thanks for the reply...zip tie maybe a good option? I would worry it would get heated enough over time that could break and end up in the oil pan? I guess, it is unlikely to get past the filter if it did break and end up draining with the next oil change? I may try to trim that disc first...zip tie it up as option #2.
A good quality zip tie should last. Our has been in for over 15 years. Good luck with trimming the disc.
Let us know if that works. Looking for a new switch/float myself, especially with my daughter driving and 286k

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom