Oil pressure sender (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My oil pressure sender has a broken wire, possibly a ground!
Anyone know where it goes as there are 2 plugs?

20200526_144538.jpg

if you can reach in and unplug one of the plugs and take a look at it if you can't see it close enough grab your cell phone a name at the plug with the flash take a picture of it you might be able to see II broken Spade on the connector. Or you can remove the connector take a picture. I think some how some ones hand may have yanked the wire out some how.

if you can reach in and unplug one of the plugs and take a look at it if you can't see it close enough grab your cell phone a name at the plug with the flash take a picture of it you might be able to see II broken Spade on the connector. Or you can remove the connector take a picture. I think some how some ones hand may have yanked the wire out some how.

I just did the valve cover gasket and was stood/sat over that part so it's very likely I've pulled it with my boots! I'll whip it off for some better pics

I just did the valve cover gasket and was stood/sat over that part so it's very likely I've pulled it with my boots! I'll whip it off for some better pics
Yeah today is car engines are a real pain in the butt to work on and trust me I've broken wires and vacuum lines. I just wish there was a car engine that wouldn't be so hard on the body you know we had to bend over most of the day. Thank God lectric vehicles are coming out and you won't have to deal with all the mechanical nightmares dealing with Automotive Engines & Transmissions

That harness goes from the oil sender and the AC comp to a harness connector on the fender. That short harness is pretty inexpensive from Toyota.

Yeah today is car engines are a real pain in the butt to work on and trust me I've broken wires and vacuum lines. I just wish there was a car engine that wouldn't be so hard on the body you know we had to bend over most of the day. Thank God lectric vehicles are coming out and you won't have to deal with all the mechanical nightmares dealing with Automotive Engines & Transmissions
Let me tell you a story that well made me angry. My brother can be in a real ass. He let me borrow his Toyota car which was an older vehicle I can't remember if it was a Corolla or a Tercel or something like that. Anyway I was driving it into the next town and the oil pressure light started to fluctuate and I said crap LOL so I went to the convenience store and bought some oil and topped it off and it still would Flex you're off and on. I decided to drive at 17 Mile back to the house and the light came on. So I told my brother he ain't got all pissed off you blame me and he want me to replace the engine and I said no way this is occurring before I even was driving it for occurred while I was driving it. Anyway I put my oil pressure sender to the output of the cylinder head and I got zero pressure on my old pressure gauge. I'm taking myself holy crap I'm biting nails because the last camshaft and the last crankshaft could be possibly damage from a lack of oil pressure. So I took the valve cover off and took the cam shaft off or something I can't remember what to verify if there was no damage and there was no damage. And then I took the last connecting rod piston cap and there was no damage. And then I took off the timing belt and the oil pump pulley spun around the pulley bolt which means that the pump was out pumping oil pressure as I was driving down the highway. And I'm thinking of myself was God looking out for me and somehow miraculously prevented connecting rod and Main Journal Rod damage while I was driving down the highway to my brother's house? It's impossible to have some kind of damage I without oil pressure. Anyway I replaced the oil pump and timing belt and put it all back together. And the oil pressure came back to normal. I believe that there should be I mechanical oil pressure gauge in every vehicle. There should also be fan RPM sensor for every oil pressure pump. If the oil pressure fails there should be a backup oil pump just like in aircraft.

Think I've solved my problem, the black plug had no continuity so I'll sort out the plug back onto the original wire which has continuity!
Thanks all!!

Hi there, I'm having a similar issue with my 80 series. What is the black box that the wires route to, but doesn't plug into anything? What is its purpose? I'm pretty stumped on why I can't get the gauge to move.

Hi there, I'm having a similar issue with my 80 series. What is the black box that the wires route to, but doesn't plug into anything? What is its purpose? I'm pretty stumped on why I can't get the gauge to move.
The oil pressure sender is directly under the exhaust manifold and behind the A/C compressor,
Is this where you are looking?
If so unplug the harness from the oil pressure sender and a/c compressor and test continuity to see if the wires have broken.

Yep, that is where I'm looking. I tested each wire and connection and they have continuity. But They go into this box (see image) which does not. I'm wondering what it is and the purpose if it? Maybe I can bypass it?
1590696079958.png

Yep, that is where I'm looking. I tested each wire and connection and they have continuity. But They go into this box (see image) which does not. I'm wondering what it is and the purpose if it? Maybe I can bypass it?
View attachment 2322019

That terminal box is where mine failed, I had a cut back wire taped up in the loom which I put the small black clip back on and everything now works

Hey, apologies... just for some clarification. Did you remove that terminal box then? Also, do you know what the purpose of that box is?

No I left the terminal box as I had another wire which was in the loom, have a look at the plug end where the wires come from and I think the wire that goes to the little black connector is a cream colored wire, chase that back through the loom and if it goes to the terminal box try and test it at that point

No I left the terminal box as I had another wire which was in the loom, have a look at the plug end where the wires come from and I think the wire that goes to the little black connector is a cream colored wire, chase that back through the loom and if it goes to the terminal box try and test it at that point

I'm not even sure what is in that box!
Can anyone else confirm what's in it or if its needed?

The FSM has a test procedure to determine if it’s the gauge or sending unit that’s causing the fault. In some cases if the gauge is shorted too long it can bend the internals of the gauge to where it doesn’t read anymore but in some cases that can be fixed. Here’s a link to my thread (shameless plug). I detail a little about the FSM procedure and then how to repair it if it’s bent inside. Good luck!

writing here to avoid new thread. 11/1994 FZJ80, 3rd owner. My oil pressure gauge was working and then stopped. Current reading in the dash is at the lower solid line on the graduation. I started the FSM for the gauge trouble shoot and found no voltage at the sender center connector and reasonable ground continuity on the side connector. I pulled the wire harness between the sender and first connector in the engine bay and found the mess in the photo. It looks like there was a back fit of a radio noise suppression filter and use of wires not meant for the engine bay. The filter does not come up with applicability to the 1994 so figuring it was either a hack to get better radio sound or for a very early cellular phone system. Will post with follow up on what I rewired and if it fixed it or other....

OIL PRESSURE END OF HARNESS.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom