Oil not draining (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
92 175000. I'm not sure what it's called but I'll be asking about the part that the oil filter screws onto. Just changed the oil this morning and after taking the oil filter off, that part was still full of oil. Like it didn't drain out. I don't remember noticing this before. Is there something blocked or is this normal.

Mr Paranoid (Brian)

???Hmm.. Haven't noticed that on mine. Is your pressure at the gauge still normal? Do you notice any oil seepage/spray on the block near the filter mount? If you had a blockage, I would think it would show up. Spray/seepage wouldn't necessarily indicate a blockage at the filter, that may be the oil pressure sending unit going. Sh!t, Iam rambling, post back with oil pressure readings and one of us 3FE'rs will have the answer (not necessarily me :D)
Hope any of that helps.

How much oil are you talking? The oil filter is above the oil in the oil pan. Whether you drain the oil or not, there will be some oil in the gallery around the filter when you remove it. I just changed my filter a couple days ago, without draining the oil, and had to wipe up the oil that spilled out.

The oil pressure has stayed the same since I bought the truck 2 years ago. Looking at the 4 lines on the gauge, at idle its perfectly inline with #2, while driving its perfectly centered between #2 & #3. But, during extended highway (50 miles or more) driving it can drop to the #2 line at 70mph.
Haven't noticed any extra oil around the filter except for what spills out during removal of the oil filter.

Thanks for any advice,

Brian

Brian,

A little more info please. What "part" was full of oil? The filter is a part, so is that what you mean? Someone correct me, but on his engine the filter screws directly into the block's vertical side like the FZ, right?

Doug

I hadnt ever paid that close attention to mine but even after I drain the pan I have a lot of oil loss when I remove the filter assy off of the stem. I am due to change mine in the next week or so so will report back then as to wether or not is normal.
Dave

Not my engine, but the first one I found. My oil filter is up side down but you get the idea. The "part" is pointed out. When I take the oil filter off after the pan is drained, this part is still full to the top with oil.

Hope this helps,

Brian

So Brian are you saying that there's oil flowing out of the area the filter attaches to the engine? If so, that's normal - particularly if your filter is located in a low spot like that. Oil would remain in the filter, and in the part simply due to gravity. Some engines seem to be a pain in this regard with large volumes coming off when the filter is removed. The FZJ certainly qualifies, where my other car has the filter mounted vertically and only a teaspoon falls out. The Cruiser probably spills a half pint and requires the axle, engine block, sway bar, cross member and my arm be wiped up after each change. Yeesh....

HTH

Doug

Rick,

Now that you ask, I did switch to a K&N filter two oil changes ago. Not sure why that would cause the oil to stay full in that part on the truck. Man, I wish I knew what it was called. If the filler cap, drain plug and filter are all off would'nt the oil drain out from everywhere?

Brian

Brian,

Are you saying a K&N OIL filter is what you're using? I'm thinking not, and all he was asking was if you changed oil filter brands. I don't think it's relevent to what you're talking about if I read you correctly, as no matter what filter you use, once it's removed there's no difference.

So how are you determining this part is staying full? You're saying something on the engine is staying full of oil after you've drained the engine and removed the oil filter? What are you seeing - in detail - to help us out here?

Doug

Ok, let's say I'm getting ready to change the oil. First I take off the filler cap. Next I remove the drain plug. After the oil stops draining I remove the filter. The filter holds some of the oil so when I take it off that remaining oil spills out a little. I think everybody deals with the mess. After the filter is off and you look at where it screws on to the engine, that part is full the brim with oil. The last two times I've taken a rag and stuffed it in there to soak up the dirty oil down in the holes. Then put everything back on and fill with new oil. I guess I'm trying to find out if that left over oil is supposed to drain or not.

Brian

Excellent description - now I'm with you. I take it your filter screws straight down onto something, then. Obviously, if it screwed up onto the engine, or sideways like the FZJ, then simple gravity dictates the oil would come out.

So, I'm assuming you're looking straight DOWN into the spot where your oil filter screws on. Sounds like the previous owner put something on - perhaps a remote filter kit or the like. I don't think that's stock, but as I asked in my first post on this thread - someone with a pre-93 should comment. Unless the oil's defying gravity, that's all I can envision.

Doug

The 3FE oil filter mounts vertically, open end down, on a bracket assembly attached to the block. As far as I know, it is normal for some oil to remain behind in that bracket when the filter is removed.

Ah, got it. Man, that must be nearly as bad to change as the horizontal filter mount on the 80. I've even briefly started the engine (3 seconds) after draining it but before removing the filter in hopes of sucking it dry. No luck. Don't try this at home....

DougM

Poke a whole in the top of the filter after you drain the oil, wait ten minutes then remove the filter. It works like a charm, my 2F has the vertical oil filter and i got tired of oil everywhere.
Jesse

Hey, for a guy with only 6 posts, that's a superb idea! Heh. Breaks the vacuum and lets the filter drain. I'll let you guys know how this works on the FZJ and we'll all hoist one to Jesse if it works. I'm thinking after it drains slap a little piece of duct tape on the hole and spin 'er off...

Doug

Jesse nailed it.

What you are seeing is normal behavior.

I have tried that, but couldn't get a good angle to give the filter a whack.

A long spike (1 foot or more) would do it from the top, eh? I'd go to the garage and look, but it's about 19 degrees out at the moment and I'm sitting by the fire. Heh.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom