Oil filter selection (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I just put a motorcraft filter on mine. seems to work well. not sure how the rate compared to others, but for me they are free! So as long as they are a beter than average filter (Ford stands by them), then that is cool with me.

I vote for the big old OEM filters or the Napa gold (aka Wix).

HZJ60 Guy said:
Bypass bypass bypass! That isnt an issue with a bypass filter set up. The oil travels through the normal engine oil filter every 40 seconds or so. Then it takes roughly five minutes to travel through the bypass filter.
so basically you are returning the oil filter design of your newer motor to F vintage specs???

Does that really sound like a good idea to you??

Only part of the oil is getting filtered before it makes it to the motor???

Mace,
My understanding in the Amsoil bypass is that all the oil rns through a normal size filter and a small portion of the oil runs through the bypass filter. It takes several minutes for all the oil to eventually run through the bypass, but all of it goes through the normal filter.

That makes more sense.

Thanks for the clarification!

CRUISERB1RD said:
If you have the time, punch a hole or two into the filter, let drain overnight, filter comes off bone dry in the morning. For the price, can't go wrong with OEM filters. Also pick up a OEM filter wrench and extra long socket extension to make this a one hand tied behind back job.

I'd rather change the oil while its warm. Besides...a quart of oil on the yard means that much less grass to mow.

Pluton said:
Isn't the Frantz Oil Filter the one that used a roll of toilet paper as the filtering medium?

That is correct, it uses toliet paper as the filter medium, but from what I can tell, they use the original filter also...

123c said:
That is correct, it uses toliet paper as the filter medium, but from what I can tell, they use the original filter also...

Yeah, but the question now becomes... What kind of t.p. do you prefer?

And do you wad or roll when you wipe?

zcruiser said:
Yeah, but the question now becomes... What kind of t.p. do you prefer?

And do you wad or roll when you wipe?

From what I can tell, they are supposed to use one of those huge Scott rolls... From what I can tell, the lint from the paper isn't a problem either...

OEM is the cat-daddy filter.

Absolute best quality and absolute correct fit and function and appearance.

15600-41010

Bought two NAPA Gold's today, $5.40 each. Oil change w. Castrol GTX 20W50 comin right up!!!

Just put same oil in my 60 (138K) seems to run much much smoother.

3puttcop said:
Filters are not expensive, relatively speaking, changing oil in mornin' and just bought K&N for $11 bucks. K&N has good reputation so I spurged. Fram heavy duty is good also.

I'll take a K&N oil filter over any other, and OEM Toyota if I can't get the K&N. I just avoid K&N's air filters though :D

I also used the K&N....cost $11.....plus has a hex head on top so you can use a 1 inch wrench/socket(if you have standard) and unscrew it.

My local import retailer sells a brand called: Union Sangyo and they are
$3.10 and look identical to the oem one......

take each of them apart and see if they are identical..

I also used the K&N....cost $11.....plus has a hex head on top so you can use a 1 inch wrench/socket(if you have standard) and unscrew it.

I use K&N's on my VW Jetta because you can't get a filter wrench on it. On the 2F there's tons of room so I don't think it's worth the extra $4 for the K&N instead of a NAPA Gold filter.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom