Oil filter selection

Discussion in '60-Series Wagons' started by zcruiser, Jul 4, 2005.

1. zcruiser

zcruiser Needs monitoring

Time to start changing all the fluids in my new rig. I've been using Purolator filters in my other vehicles, but came across these filters on eBay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=7983813019

[​IMG]

Anyone with any experience with these filters? Or should I just go to the Toyota parts counter and buy OEM?

...and don't say "buy Fram, they're the best!", or I'll know for sure that you're taking advantage of the noob!

2. 123c

123c

Those almost look like the cheap filters I bought by my Subaru a few years back. They were made in Thailand, or somewhere like that, they were ok filters, but not the best. Purolators are the best filters out there as far as I am concerned...

3. 3puttcop

3puttcop

Filters are not expensive, relatively speaking, changing oil in mornin' and just bought K&N for $11 bucks. K&N has good reputation so I spurged. Fram heavy duty is good also.

4. 3puttcop

3puttcop

Also Purolator is good brand but the one for the 2F is very small......I just can't covince myself that that little filter is the best.

5. hj60

hj60

If you have CarQuest near you, buy their filters. Same as OEM (Wix). Slightly cheaper.
    If not, go OEM or not at all. If you're committed to changing your own oil, buy by the case. Works out cheaper that way.
    And at some point, Toyota switched to a smaller filter on the 60 2F.

We use Wix or Racor on our entire fleet (except for the Cats, which use proprietary filters) and have never had an oil-related failure. We even had one truck go 20k miles on one oil change. (Stupid operators.)

Frams suck. Too large a filtering medium. Doesn't trap enough particulates.
    STPs (what we used before switching to Wix) have a habit of blowing off the engine or bursting.

6. HZJ60 Guy

HZJ60 Guy Tank Buster

If you want the best filtration you can buy, get this set up.

By pass filtration

I use it on all my vehicles. A normal engine oil filter filters to around 20 microns. An Amsoil bypass filter filters to less than one!

7. 3puttcop

3puttcop

that bypass is sweet....What it cost?

8. zcruiser

Bypass setup looks great, especially considering the mounting position of the 3F oil filter. I haven't changed my oil yet, but how the heck do you get that thing off without dumping a quart of oil on the ground???

9. jesterb

jesterb

OEM, Wix, or Mobile 1. I never seem to drip alot when I change it. I'm sure the bypass setup is nice, but you already have aprox. 2 gallons of oil. I think that is plenty IMHO.

10. CRUISERB1RD

CRUISERB1RD

If you have the time, punch a hole or two into the filter, let drain overnight, filter comes off bone dry in the morning. For the price, can't go wrong with OEM filters. Also pick up a OEM filter wrench and extra long socket extension to make this a one hand tied behind back job.

11. nikos8

nikos8

There was a test done a while back by someone. Don't remember much about it but I do remember that the Delco scored the highest and Fram the lowest. They had used a large variety of popular filters.

12. zcruiser

Just to make sure I got it straight -- by punching a couple holes in the top of the filter, the oil inside the filter can drain down through the pan? That's just too easy!

13. swank60

swank60

Gotta go ahead and mention the NAPA Gold here, too. Good filter - I've been very pleased with it.

14. CRUISERB1RD

CRUISERB1RD

The holes release the pressure. That plus letting it drain overnight does the trick!

15. Tapage

Tapage Club 4X4 Panamá SILVER Star

you have this kit in your HZ engine .. ? withone you use . ?

I can find some catalog or replacement part in thje amsoil page, to my 2H engine.

16. silvercrusher

silvercrusher

Napa gold is made by Wix.

Obviously better filtering is optimal.
    As for the 1 micron filtering is that really such a good idea! Unless you are on the ball with maintenance don't even consider it. Oil starvation is hard in on engine and if you don't keep an eye on your delta pressure that 1 micron filter will plug up and you will be screwed. It is great if you are meticulous with maintenance and a very hands on owner but not good for everyone.

17. HZJ60 Guy

HZJ60 Guy Tank Buster

Bypass bypass bypass! That isnt an issue with a bypass filter set up. The oil travels through the normal engine oil filter every 40 seconds or so. Then it takes roughly five minutes to travel through the bypass filter.

18. 123c

123c

19. zcruiser

Good point, but being fairly meticulous I won't worry about that. Would be interesting to know what my delta pressure is, guess you can hook up identical oil pressure gauges on both sides of the filter and watch difference to monitor its cleanliness? Sounds similar to a system used to monitor air filters on HVAC systems...

20. silvercrusher

silvercrusher

Is there somewhere that i can see actual specs and operation can't seem to find any on the amsoil webpage. So if what you are saying is there are two routes open for the oil to flow to two different size filters how does oil ever go through the bypass. It will always take the path of least resistance. Is there a check valve or directional control valve of some sort?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.