Oil filter selection (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

C-Dan...

I'm an OEM fan - large. Gots me 8 of 'em last time I ordered something from C-Dan. Buy a case, and store them. I too can't bring myself to put the small one one there...I mean, 8qts of oil..and the little filter? probably fine, but I'm a nerd.

In a pinch, I'd go napa (wix).

sad news folks...

OE toyota filters while made by denso, are now made in thailand. i run the big denso filters since they're the same as OE but a bit less expensive. it's just a matter of time before everything will be made overseas; (i.e. Brembo stuff is now being made in india and mexico,) and the shop where i work now avoid using brembo rotors due to quality control issues.

i'm not saying that stuff made overseas, (malaysia, india, thailand, etc.) is bad, just that i like the idea of putting parts "made in japan" on my truck that was "made in japan."

for those purists, if you find a batch of the big OE filters that were made in japan, buy the whole lot.

just my two cents...

I bought a case of LARGE OEM Toyota filters last year from toyotapart.com and they were made in Japan. Look much better in there than small filters. In a pinch, I'd go with those NAPA filters.

Wix is the highest quality when you want aftermarket instead of OEM. I once worked at a Chimpy (Jiffy) Lube back when I was in high School and for my own education I cut open a few dozen different brands of filters to see the difference in quality. The first big difference between the good (Purolator, Wix) filteres and the Cheap (Fram) and Very Cheap (Penzoil) filteres is the way they cap off the top and bottom of the paper filter. The Good filters have solid metal end caps while the cheap filters have a piece of cardboard glued to it. i strongly doubt cardboard will always holdup over six months of use. There is also an obvious difference in the amount of paper filter material they use in the cheap and better filters. I'd say Wix and Purolator use at least twice as much paper in comparison to the cheap ones. I also noticed that fram and Penzoil were popualar with always using the spring bypass whether or not the OE called for it. I strongly suspect they always installed the bypass to ensure that if the cheap design were to prematurly clog up the engine would not sieze. Instead you would just have unfiltered oil going through the engine. Since were only talking two more bucks for the better filter I think its a no brainer.

i've used OEM and the large K&N filters with good results. the K&N is nice having the easily wrenchable top to it.

Well since I work for Cummins, I had to go ahead an order me a dozen of Fleetguard (Cummins Filtration) LF3487. They look pretty good and they have a microglass media, anti drain back valve and they are BIG!

Oil filter construction info

There was a test done a while back by someone. Don't remember much about it but I do remember that the Delco scored the highest and Fram the lowest. They had used a large variety of popular filters.

Since this topic is stickied, I hope nobody minds if I drop a new post on an old thread.

While this site is specific to motorcycle filters, I wold bet the technology translates to automotive filters as well, and might be what Nikos was referring to. There's a ton of good info here.

Motorcycle Oil Filters & Air Filters

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom