Oil consumption report on Mobil 1 0w-40 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I've been using Mobil 1 since new and switched to Mobil 1 0W-40 for the first time as Cary had good luck with it. Some have reported higher oil consumption with this weight, however, so I thought I'd report my experience.

We've put 6000 miles on the oil, including one 2800 mile all highway trip at 75-80mph. This is worth noting because I've found that high speed freeway trips tend to consume more oil on most vehicles I've owned.

At any rate, I've been monitoring it and it literally used zero oil. My wife drove it to L.A. and back (the freeway trip) and got back this morning. The oil level did not move. I was actually kind of surprised, so I took the dipstick out and rechecked after the truck sat for hours. Zero oil consumption.

So, your mileage may vary but I've officially and permanently switched.

DougM

I am currently using 5w30 thinking about going to 0w30. What benefits are associated with going to 0w40?

-Robert

It's funny that some people have an increase in consumption and some a decrease. In my Wife's BMW which I used to use 15w-50 Mobil 1, I found consumption was cut in half going to to the 0w-40.

Re: Why would I use M1 0w-40 over 0w-30. If you do a search there is an extended discussion of this (I really need to write up an oil FAQ). Basically it comes down to:

1) Mobil 1 30 weight oils are formulated on the thin side of 30 weight, almost 20 weight.
2) The M1 0w-40 is ideal for all climates, from Artic to Tropical.
3) The reason that Toyota Specs a 30 weight oil is for CAFE standards, not for long life.

Will you hurt anything by using the 0w-30? No. The 0w-40 does provide an extra margin of protection in hot weather and under heavy loads. It is, what we used to call in economics a pareto optimal gain from 0w-30.

I also use Mobil 1 0w40, thanks Cary, and I use about a quarter quart every 3500 miles. I also however have a super slight leak from the oil pan though, so some of the quarter quart is coming from there. I love the 0w40, not to rehash the whole thing but I observed reduced throttle response with the Mobil 1 15w50 so I switched after only 100 miles to 0w40 and I have not looked back since. That 15w50 was probably the least used synthetic in the history of synthetic oil but along with the reduced throttle response, I observed slightly increased oil pressures and was worried about that so I switched after only 100 miles! HTH

Anyone running this (M1 0w-40) on a 3FE? I just started using it about 1000mi ago and have almost no consumption, gas mileage change is negligible, but my oil pressure indication dropped lower as compared to M1 10w-30. Any takers? Similar experiences? Am I about to blow up my venerable 3FE :D ???

I would think that the oil pressure would be slightly higher with 0w40 vs. 10w30, at least at operating temperatues. Perhaps at start up, the 10w would give slightly higher pressure then the 0w but I would think that the 'thicker' 40w would produce higher pressure than the 30w? Not arguing with you of course, just wondering out loud.
I personally would run the 0w40 since, as Cary has explained so expertly (yea Cary do a FAQ on this man!) the Mobil tends to run somewhat thin so the 40 is safer. There is now a 5w40 which may end up excellent as well, not sure?

Not to hi-jack this thread but this brings up a question. I'm new to the 80s club and am due for an oil change in about 1K. What oil do you rec for a 97 FZJ80 with 47K? Previously it was serviced every 3K at the dealership (guy I bought it from was golfing buddies with the owner of Berkley Toyota).

Anyway, what brand? Synthetic? Lots of talk about weight....I live in the bay area so its a temperate environment. Thanks

Not to hi-jack this thread but this brings up a question. I'm new to the 80s club and am due for an oil change in about 1K. What oil do you rec for a 97 FZJ80 with 47K? Previously it was serviced every 3K at the dealership (guy I bought it from was golfing buddies with the owner of Berkley Toyota).

Anyway, what brand? Synthetic? Lots of talk about weight....I live in the bay area so its a temperate environment. Thanks

[quote author=drohweder link=board=2;threadid=15882;start=msg151779#msg151779 date=1083861555]

[/quote]

Search. This has been discussed to death.

[quote author=drohweder link=board=2;threadid=15882;start=msg151779#msg151779 date=1083861555]

[/quote]

You should be careful, if it was serviced in Berkeley they likely used Petuli Oil to save the enviroment and trashed the motor. :D :D :D :D

Seriously, look above. Use Mobil 1 0w-40, the good oil filters and use a change interval of 7500 miles and don't look back.

Cary

[quote author=turbocruiser link=board=2;threadid=15882;start=msg151765#msg151765 date=1083861150]
I would think that the oil pressure would be slightly higher with 0w40 vs. 10w30, at least at operating temperatues. Perhaps at start up, the 10w would give slightly higher pressure then the 0w but I would think that the 'thicker' 40w would produce higher pressure than the 30w? Not arguing with you of course, just wondering out loud.
I personally would run the 0w40 since, as Cary has explained so expertly (yea Cary do a FAQ on this man!) the Mobil tends to run somewhat thin so the 40 is safer. There is now a 5w40 which may end up excellent as well, not sure?
[/quote]

The Mobil 1 5w-40 SUV oil is Delvac 1 in a different package. It is slightly heavier than the 0w-40 at operating temps, but may burn less in engines that have high consumption. Personally, I am sticking with 0w-40, but the 5w-40 is a great oil and I would suggest using whichever is easiest to get. Either will work fine in all conditions and both should have no problem with 7500 mile oil change intervals.

Cary

[quote author=cary link=board=2;threadid=15882;start=msg151819#msg151819 date=1083864802]

Seriously, look above. Use Mobil 1 0w-40, the good oil filters and use a change interval of 7500 miles and don't look back.

Cary
[/quote]

It is probably overkill squared or even cubed but I stick to super super super strict change intervals of 3500 miles; with the turbo, I'm not taking any chances! In fact, I have never gone over fifteen miles above that change interval. Cary is this anything remotely resembling reasonable?

Cary,

Are there any statistical facts that prove the Mobil1 5W-40 is indeed Delvac1 15W-40 (given the difference in the lower vicosity & big difference in prices) ?

Just wondering...
Frank.

Seminole,

Been running Mobile 1 in our FJ62 since break-in (I'm the original owner). Both 10W30 and 15W40 depending on season w/ changes at 5k intervals and large Toyota oil filter. At 178k miles zero, or negligible consumption, and yes the oil pressure registers a bit on the low side - always has. I wouldn't worry about it.

Ming

[quote author=sjcruiser link=board=2;threadid=15882;start=msg151936#msg151936 date=1083874531]
Cary,

Are there any statistical facts that prove the Mobil1 5W-40 is indeed Delvac1 15W-40 (given the difference in the lower vicosity & big difference in prices) ?

Just wondering...
Frank.
[/quote]

Delvac 1 is not 15w-40 but 5w-40, Delo (non-synth) is 15w-40. According to the extended discussions on the bobistheoilguy, the specs are the same, and some have called mobil and gotten confirmation that the two oils are the same. Yes the SUV is $1.00 quart cheaper, but Mobil wisely held out giving it all the catipeller and other heavy duty diesel approvals so not to steal sales from Delvac.

[quote author=turbocruiser link=board=2;threadid=15882;start=msg151827#msg151827 date=1083865980]

It is probably overkill squared or even cubed but I stick to super super super strict change intervals of 3500 miles; with the turbo, I'm not taking any chances! In fact, I have never gone over fifteen miles above that change interval. Cary is this anything remotely resembling reasonable?
[/quote]

It is probably overkill. I would bet that the oil would work fine out to 7500+ miles, but would not try it without analysis. I would feel comfortable at 5000 mile intervals. You aren't hurting anything. I would absolutely stick with synthetic with any turbo to keep the bearings from getting cooked. If you get really crazy, you might try Redline 5w-40, which is overkill for most situatations, but seems to really excel in hostile enviroments.

Cary

Turbocrusier brought up a slight deviation to this subject. Who, besides businesses that profit from it, recommend changing your oil at 3000 - 3500 miles. The LC owners manual says 7500. Since Pareto Optimality has been broached here today, changing it at the lower intervals appears to be moving away from that optimal level. (Sorry, I have not been able to talk like that since graduate school).

Is there any direct correlation between engine wear and oil change intervals?

I am the one that had the motor drink the M1 0w40 at high rpm's. It leaked out the front of the oil pan too.
I tried Rotella T syn 5w40 and the oil pan leak stopped and my consumption is what it was with dino oil.
The consumption is very strange. I added:
1qt at 3000 mi
1.5 qt for the next 2000 mi
the last 1000 mi the oil down less than 1/4 qt.

I would like to try the M1SUV oil but wold hate to have the oil leak return.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom