offroad bumper suggestions (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

The LC and the LX do not have the same front end sheet metal. Differences are minor but definite. You may or may not have issues, depending on which bumper you choose. The LX is also different from the LX in that the grille is attached to the hood and requires additional clearance when opening. This could be an issue if you go with a bumper that has a bull bar.

The only bars I can think of that match your criteria are the Dobinsons, the ARB Sahara and, at a distant 3rd, the So-Flo. For a few dollars more, you can get the Ironman Commercial Deluxe, which is a great bumper for the money.
What do you mean by "They dont have the same front end sheet metal"? Would it be possible to swap an LX front end to a LC front end?

What do you mean by "They dont have the same front end sheet metal"? Would it be possible to swap an LX front end to a LC front end?
Aside from the obvious hood, grill and headlight arrangement, the LX (and '03 and up LC) has a metal lip that runs below the grill, all along the front end, which must be trimmed when using a '98-'02 LC bumper in order for it to fit under the front sheet metal. I'm sure you could swap from one front end to another, but it seems like an awful lot of work if you want to do it just for a bumper.

Aside from the obvious hood, grill and headlight arrangement, the LX (and '03 and up LC) has a metal lip that runs below the grill, all along the front end, which must be trimmed when using a '98-'02 LC bumper in order for it to fit under the front sheet metal. I'm sure you could swap from one front end to another, but it seems like an awful lot of work if you want to do it just for a bumper.
The LX and LC had a metal trim piece that ran under the grill and headlights. Is that the lip your talking about? I'm considering the swap because my LX has terrible headlights and I have a '99 sitting in the yard as a parts truck with perfect glass headlights.

No worries. If the PO was very picky, he could have removed the tabs, leaving it completely flush and re-powder coated or spot painted. Seems like a lot of work, but I don’t see why it can’t be done.

As far as I know, no version of this bumper comes without the tabs. If there is one then I wish I bought it, LOL!

Examined it more closely this morning—you're right, of course. Two tabs used to exist, and the PO just did a really good job knocking them off and re-coating.

The LC and the LX do not have the same front end sheet metal. Differences are minor but definite. You may or may not have issues, depending on which bumper you choose. The LX is also different from the LX in that the grille is attached to the hood and requires additional clearance when opening. This could be an issue if you go with a bumper that has a bull bar.

The only bars I can think of that match your criteria are the Dobinsons, the ARB Sahara and, at a distant 3rd, the So-Flo. For a few dollars more, you can get the Ironman Commercial Deluxe, which is a great bumper for the money.
Do we know for sure if the Dobinson bull bar would fit an LX? I searched a few weeks ago and failed to find a proof.

Do we know for sure if the Dobinson bull bar would fit an LX? I searched a few weeks ago and failed to find a proof.

What did you end up with? I am trying to figure out what is best winch for our 100’s and not seeing the perfect answer after searching. I will keep at it.

What did you end up with? I am trying to figure out what is best winch for our 100’s and not seeing the perfect answer after searching. I will keep at it.
I ended up an ARB bumper from bumpersuperstore.com. I chose to get the updated design intended for 03 and newer since I prefer the look. I use Smittybilt 9500 lbs and that has been enough to pull my truck out of difficult situations. It was relatively inexpensive and have worked just flawlessly.

I ended up an ARB bumper from bumpersuperstore.com. I chose to get the updated design intended for 03 and newer since I prefer the look. I use Smittybilt 9500 lbs and that has been enough to pull my truck out of difficult situations. It was relatively inexpensive and have worked just flawlessly.
I too am leaning towards the ARB or the Ironman since it is basically the same look but less money. Problem is, the Ironman is out of stock and no instock dates. The Smittybilt looks like a decent winch esp for the price. Do you know which model no. you went with?

I too am leaning towards the ARB or the Ironman since it is basically the same look but less money. Problem is, the Ironman is out of stock and no instock dates. The Smittybilt looks like a decent winch esp for the price. Do you know which model no. you went with?
SmittyBilt XRC 9.5K

Just as it says in my sig line ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom