Official Keystone RC thread (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

So not on the same level, but I can say I am part of the RC club lol
I was at my parents place this weekend and I was going through some of my old Toys and came across my old RC car that I thought was long gone.

I received this for my 14th Birthday Day
So its 4wd, just no low range or solid axles

I remember why I packed it away, few things went wrong.
First being it was fun to jump but couldn't handle the landing....
Broken Front Shock Tower
Broken Rear Shock Tower

Then the resistor for the speed control disintegrate

The tires were starting to go bald, and being a young stupid kid thinking I could fix everything....
I took tires I had from another RC car I had that was dead cut them up and tried to glue them on

Sort of worked but the car would skid everywhere...

So with the itch of wanting to get back to the RC world, I brought this sucker home, I have ordered aluminum shock towers, I have a set of original design tires on the way, and ordered a different set with different wheels.

Just need to find the resistor now and I should be good to go.
I am thinking of finding a Toyota Trophy Truck body to put on it.
Fun! I did the same thing with my old Tamyia Nissan KingCab, but they have a bad transmission/differential design and I blew it up very quickly.
I remember two friends who had similar cars as yours and I remember it being super fun!
Ditch the mechanical speed control and order a $25 ESC and a fresh battery. The mechanical one has so much corrosion on it it will either not work at all or surly catch on fire.

Ditch the mechanical speed control and order a $25 ESC and a fresh battery. The mechanical one has so much corrosion on it it will either not work at all or surly catch on fire.

I wasn't originally going to but they are cheap enough and I do remember it was either full forward or full reverse, it was hard to get just a nice roll to it.

I finally found the batteries I had and yeah, I have one on order now lol

This past week parts started to finally flood in.

New Shock Towers
New Tires
New ESC

Painted the wheels, not perfect but I have another set of wheels and tires on the way, at least I can get rolling.

It runs! Last night I was trying to get it to work and couldn't for the life of me, the instructions are backwards, I finally figured out how to get the ESC programmed for a brushed motor, but it still would not run. Then this morning I took another crack at it and dumb me had plugged in the wire on the receiver backwards (do not wire after a trying day at work -_-)... So I got it to move but I had no reverse... I finally figured that out.

I am still fine tuning the remote and I have to get the steering dialed in a but (pulls right) but it works!

I have new batteries that I think I may need to get a new charger for since I am not sure my Piranha fast charger will do the trick, however amazingly the old batteries are working!

Last thing, I need to figure out what I am going to do for a shell. The original that I thought I had was long gone, and I thought about a trophy truck body, but then I was searching around and I think I have a new idea, I have the SC400 sitting in the driveway, I was thinking of maybe getting a supra shell, and stickers for a Lexus shell and making myself a mini SC400.

It's nice to finally get to use it, I am sure I will be putting more money into other upgrades, but for now I can tart around a bit.

So my enjoyment of the car lasted all of a week...

First causality was the front shock tower again...

Just an overall bad design, I went ahead and ordered another one and got that in. Need to look and see if there is anything I could possibly do to keep from cracking the mount....

Next was a little more catastrophic, I took a turn and it started to sound like the time I blew my front diff...

The motor mount broke, and in the process

Took out the drive gear....

And idler gear...

I've ordered a upgraded motor mount so that should fix that problem. I have also ordered another drive and idler gear. Still metal drive gear, but no option to upgrade the idler gear to metal, but from my research there was an option and surprisingly didn't work out to well...
Looking through the rest of the drive line, everything is pretty kosher, and it looks like when I built it I go roller bearings for it and didn't use the Nylon bushing like supplied, so besides the shocks and ESC everything that could be upgraded has been...

I vote a Tundra stadium truck!

Finished painting the 45 body. It will make a great basher body. I have not made body mounts yet.
IMG_3055.JPG

I got my new steeming arm installed. It was slightly longer and flatter then stock. As a result I had to space the servo up. I used 4 5mm nuts for that. Then I had to grind some of the arm and frame.

20180516_155408.jpg

20180516_155342.jpg

So far, I've reused the stock servos and just enlarged the hole. Did this on the Traxxas, and the Vaterra. No issues yet.

Some months ago, for my birthday, my youngest daughter made a scale driver from scratch, even has a club t-shirt!

I didn’t ask if it was supposed to be me...

0060EC12-17D4-4AC7-923C-EC4DD044CE85.jpeg
41304E46-2B4B-4529-ADBA-1A35A13C3810.jpeg
6D756D83-3E5F-4DDB-A4CD-9FBE5DD79812.jpeg
1E09B847-5574-4709-AECD-769547500FA5.jpeg

I put a lot of time into my rc rig when I was home on medical leave. I programmed my new remote and put 4 wheel steering on. I also put heavy duty lockers in. After striping the cheep stockers.

What kit is that HH?
Body looks very RC4wd, but I see older harwahar underneath and round headlights and accessories which are not common.... Maybe a real Tamyia Bruiser?
It is the Tamyia body, and hardware. At the time I got it rc4wd wasn’t making the trailfinder yet. I bought everything thru rpp hobby. They stock most of the parts, for that tamyia body. I think it is still the same as the bruiser but it’s not original.

The chassis is the trailfinder kit, that body I ruined but I used the gill on my sons body.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom