Official Keystone RC thread (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I'm about to jump into the RC world with both feet.
I'm planning on a Traxxas TRX-4 with a hardbody kit, though I haven't decided which one yet.
For those with TRXs, what is most prone to breaking and which spares should I pick up right away? I am already planning on upgrading the steering servo, as I heard the stock one is fairly weak; and I am planning on the Traxxas 3s 5000 batteries and charger kit.
Any advice/criticisms from the collective?

I'm about to jump into the RC world with both feet.
I'm planning on a Traxxas TRX-4 with a hardbody kit, though I haven't decided which one yet.
For those with TRXs, what is most prone to breaking and which spares should I pick up right away? I am already planning on upgrading the steering servo, as I heard the stock one is fairly weak; and I am planning on the Traxxas 3s 5000 batteries and charger kit.
Any advice/criticisms from the collective?
It's a good start Stump.
The Traxxas batteries/charger kinda put you in a box once you start to play with Lipo stuff, because the connector is property. But, it is a good quality battery and stupid simple charger, so a real good place to start.
I can't break mine.... yet.

It's a good start Stump.
The Traxxas batteries/charger kinda put you in a box once you start to play with Lipo stuff, because the connector is property. But, it is a good quality battery and stupid simple charger, so a real good place to start.
I can't break mine.... yet.
I saw they sell adapters for the battery connections, but I certainly don't want to paint myself into a corner. Other suggestions for batteries and chargers?

I saw they sell adapters for the battery connections, but I certainly don't want to paint myself into a corner. Other suggestions for batteries and chargers?
Mine 3s lipo, is aftermarket. It's shorter and taller then traxxas. So the stock battery hold down dosent work. I have a velcro strap.
I also have a adapter for my aftermarket charger. The adapter was cheap.

I chose the body:
getpic.php

I am going to go with the TRX-4 chassis kit.

@Jakes40, are you able to vacuum form bodies?

Yes but I'm still honing my art! To say I'm not very good at it yet. It's all about the geting the plastic to the right temp.

I chose the body:
getpic.php

I am going to go with the TRX-4 chassis kit.

SOLID pick, well made, easy enough to assemble, looks so awesome! I built mine last year.

The body mount plates are weak. I broke mine...but I'm good at breaking stuff. If you want it to sit lower to look more scale, you'll have to cut holes in the bed for the rear shock towers, or use a cantilever shock. I built mine and put it on my SCX10-2. You may have to play around with the links to have the wheels line up on the Traxxas.

70b.JPG
70a.JPG
70c.JPG

Around the same time, I built this eight foot long scale-ish covered bridge out of $20 in lumber and some cedar shake roofing shingles I had laying around.

cb4.JPG

cb3.JPG

Batteries are like everything else do your research pick what you like and stick with them. I use xd60? Bought A bunch on Amazon. There is a lot of Deans plugs out there. I don't like how hard Dean plugs are to disconnect. I had some adaptors. For the old style batteries. My RedCat takes a 5500 3S but I run 2200 3S to keep the weight down. I'm thinking of upsizing my next set. If you get all the same size you can charge them in bulk 2-6 at one time. Just be careful Lipo batteries will catch fire if not charged right.

Last edited:
Batteries are like everything else do your research pick what you like and stick with them. I use xd60? Bought A bunch on Amazon. There is a lot of Deans plugs out there. I don't like how hard Dean plugs are to disconnect. I had some adaptors. For the old style batteries. My RedCat takes a 5500 3S but I run 2200 3S to keep the weight down. I'm thinking of upsizing my next set. If you get all the same size you can charge them in bulk 2-6 at one time. Just be careful Lipo batteries will catch fire if not charged right.
I'm going to go ahead with the Traxxas batteries. Sometimes you just have to go with one of the bigger companies because you know that you will likely get a reliable, and established product. I will eventually get some 2s batteries as well.

SOLID pick, well made, easy enough to assemble, looks so awesome! I built mine last year.

The body mount plates are weak. I broke mine...but I'm good at breaking stuff. If you want it to sit lower to look more scale, you'll have to cut holes in the bed for the rear shock towers, or use a cantilever shock. I built mine and put it on my SCX10-2. You may have to play around with the links to have the wheels line up on the Traxxas.

View attachment 1729784 View attachment 1729787 View attachment 1729788

Around the same time, I built this eight foot long scale-ish covered bridge out of $20 in lumber and some cedar shake roofing shingles I had laying around.

View attachment 1729791

View attachment 1729792
Asiatees.com is the place to go. They sell body mounts specifically designed to mount the LC70 body to the TRX chassis. Check out their site and if you want a set of body mounts, let me know and I'll ad them to my order.

I don't have any RCs at all. but this is a really cool vid and might push me over the edge !!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom