Oem washable air filter life span (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Title says it all. Opinions, anecdotal evidence, unrelated stories.... I want to hear it all.

I used the washable OEM air filters when I first got my 80 in 2010. I would dunk/agitate the thr filter in a 5 gallon bucket full of water and dish soap. I would dump/rinse/repeat 3 times, then just let the hose run into the bucket until I thought the water was staying clear. Filter takes several hours to dry, so I had 2 of them and played rotation. That way I could just swap them and then clean the dirty one at my leisure. I noticed that after 4 or 5 cycles the element started to look fuzzy, so I started just using the disposable Aisin filters from Rock Auto.

Waste of time.
Unless you are doing a trip in a very dust environment.
For regular, normal maintenance just replace them.

I tried washing them previously, found they never come fully clean, and some fine particles stay embedded in the fabric. they clog up faster next time.
In my hzj105, a washed filter would trigger the blocked filter light in short order at higher RPM
Same would happen with cheap aftermarket filters.

Same experience with washable HEPA shop vac filters at work

A few times I've washed a Toyota filter after maybe 8000 -10,000 miles then reinstalled, ran another 5000 miles maybe before replacing. IIRC I didn't see any increase in silicon (dirt) in the engine oil analysis, that was my main concern.

But now I also just replace them at around 10,000 miles or so but then there have been others who've run them much longer. IDK.

Toyota-brand filters are washable?
I've been blowing out my filter with air. And like @mudgudgeon experience, they don't come completely clean anyway.
But mine's not a daily either so. :meh:
Def recommend against oil-bath filters in any case.

Yes at least some are. They have a graphic on the top of the casing with instructions.

Screenshot_20230619_091511_Brave.jpg

Toyota makes a disposable air filter and a washable air filter.

Been running the washable for 40,000 miles and I just washed it for the 4th time today.

I've been blowing out my filter with air. And like @mudgudgeon experience, they don't come completely clean anyway.
But mine's not a daily either so. :meh:
Def recommend against oil-bath filters in any case.
Those oil-bath filters like K and N, etc. are just in the league of super evil.

Those oil-bath filters like K and N, etc. are just in the league of super evil.
Truth!

I had one in my BJ60. Blackstone oil analysis showed high levels of silicon.
Replaced with OEM disposable and virtually zero silicon levels in subsequent oil analysis.

🖕to K&N

You guys change your air filters? I mean, I've swapped mine out once in 7 years. I think that was 4-5 years ago now. With the cyclonic prefilter on the 80, I just didn't find it getting dirty enough to worry too much about it. I do have a 1HZ engine though, so it's not exactly like it's maxing out my airflow, but I've never had the air intake warning come on, and don't really bother to check it too much.

Don't get me wrong, I should probably pay closer attention to this than I do, but who's seen actual problems from a lack of servicing here, outside some really dusty environs? Between the intake behind the quarter panel, through a cyclonic pre-filter, then into a cyclonic main filter with the catch can, it seems to do a really good job of dumping the particulates before they hit the filter, and then the filter itself has a massive surface area.

You guys change your air filters? I mean, I've swapped mine out once in 7 years. I think that was 4-5 years ago now. With the cyclonic prefilter on the 80, I just didn't find it getting dirty enough to worry too much about it. I do have a 1HZ engine though, so it's not exactly like it's maxing out my airflow, but I've never had the air intake warning come on, and don't really bother to check it too much.

Don't get me wrong, I should probably pay closer attention to this than I do, but who's seen actual problems from a lack of servicing here, outside some really dusty environs? Between the intake behind the quarter panel, through a cyclonic pre-filter, then into a cyclonic main filter with the catch can, it seems to do a really good job of dumping the particulates before they hit the filter, and then the filter itself has a massive surface area.
A few yrs ago, I had the hood up and a co-worker was eyeballing everything. He exclaimed “That’s the air filter? Wow!” Then I showed him the rest of the details of the system. I think he went home and started throwing rocks at his GM pickup 😉

but who's seen actual problems from a lack of servicing here

Depends on where its being used.

I absolutely had check filter light come on in my hzj105 when spending time in dusty conditions.
I've used my air compressor to blow dust out of the filter on a trip.

Around the city is not gonna be a huge issue, but then, a 1hz wants all the help it can get. An unchoked filter is a small help

Well I drive in a lot of dust with my rig. I went ahead and put the air filter back in the truck for now. But next oil change it will get a new disposable air filter.

A few times I've washed a Toyota filter after maybe 8000 -10,000 miles then reinstalled, ran another 5000 miles maybe before replacing. IIRC I didn't see any increase in silicon (dirt) in the engine oil analysis, that was my main concern.

But now I also just replace them at around 10,000 miles or so but then there have been others who've run them much longer. IDK.

So are you replacing them with the OEM disposable filters or treating the washables as disposables?

Thanks man

Well I drive in a lot of dust with my rig. I went ahead and put the air filter back in the truck for now. But next oil change it will get a new disposable air filter.

I think the washable are intended for use in really dust conditions where it is actually necessary to blow them clean or wash them clean every few days

I've tried the Denso non-washable filter but for some reason that I don't recall I didn't like them so went back to the OEM Toyota filter. Maybe just because the OEM filter element "looked" better (not very scientific but there it is). Sometimes I wash it and reinstall (but mostly I just replace it) but not more than one wash then toss, not based on any data, just OCD.

At least as important is making sure all the connections are tight so dirty air doesn't get sucked in the engine. Also important to clean the air filter assembly (the large can and the tuna can) before installing the filter IMHO.

Some prior discussions:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom