OEM snob??? mishimoto radiator (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

r71

Threads
I am a OEM guy through and through when working on my 100. Everything I've replaced/maintenance has been Toyota OEM. But damn, this aftermarket radiator cost less than my cost(I get discounts) OEM, and OEM is plastic. It started seeping on top.

Anyone else go this route. This thing is quality!
20230728_095430[1].jpg
20230728_095438[1].jpg

I am a OEM guy through and through when working on my 100. Everything I've replaced/maintenance has been Toyota OEM. But damn, this aftermarket radiator cost less than my cost(I get discounts) OEM, and OEM is plastic. It started seeping on top.

Anyone else go this route. This thing is quality!View attachment 3385484View attachment 3385489
I've seen a few of those floating around on the forums. Looks bad ass for sure.

Let me know when it gets to 200k miles with plenty of life left, like my OEM radiator =] ( which lived in las vegas for the first 15 years of it's life )

Last edited:
Is this the Mishimoto Al radiator? I've been running one for about two years without issue. I too generally lean hard on OEM parts, but went this route when it came to my radiator replacement.

I have bought Mishimoto radiator hoses when I replaced the heater t's. They are very nice haven't had a bit of problem out of them. I will get there radiator when I need to replace the original.

Has anyone compared the coolant temperature measurement of the Mishimoto aluminum radiator versus the OEM? I wonder if the former actually has lower temp.

My Mishimoto runs 186-188* in the warmer part of the year and 184-186* in the cooler part of the year. I may run a couple degrees cooler than my previous OEM radiator, however, that radiator was ~14 yrs old and had ~180K miles on it.

My Mishimoto runs 186-188* in the warmer part of the year and 184-186* in the cooler part of the year. I may run a couple degrees cooler than my previous OEM radiator, however, that radiator was ~14 yrs old and had ~180K miles on it.
The running temps are more a factor of the thermostat than the radiator material.

The radiator material would make a difference in the rate of temperature changes, however, due to the differences in thermal efficiency between different materials (construction and fin surface area being equal).

Looks well built!

I noticed on their site that a transmission cooler is “integrated” with fittings coming from the lower tank. Not sure what that consists of… separate heat exchange coil or just a tube running through the coolant reservoir. Did you use that or keep the OEM separate coil?

Nissan had a recall where the radiator was leaking internally- coolant was making its way into the trans cooler and that would then take out the transmission. I really like the idea of an all aluminium radiator but I’d have to see some long term positive reviews first.

I ran a few Mishimoto radiators in previous cars. The build quality was good, but not up to OEM standards. All aluminum is good, except it pits over time. My Mishimoto rads have all been hit or miss on coolant hole fitting sizing. They're often wrong by just a smidge. OEM would be 40mm and the Mishimoto would be 41.5 or something. Not enough to obviously wrong, but enough to cause leaks over time once that hose isn't brand new.

If I were buying aftermarket, I'd consider Mishimoto as it was quite good for aftermarket - just don't expect anything better than genuine Toyota/Aisin/Denso.

For my money, OEM Toyota is still king here. Plastic or not.

Reactions: GTV

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom