OEM Skid Plate & Transmission Cooler (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I just picked up a used 2019 GX460 Premium. The vehicle has everything that I wanted except for a few items: external radiator/transmission cooler, full-length fuel tank skid plate and trailer hitch.

I got the trailer hitch installed by a nearby Lexus dealership while addressing a recall for the fuel pump. When I asked the dealer's service advisor about the other two items (transmission cooler and skid plate), I was advised to look at aftermarket solutions since Lexus didn't offer either solution.

I'm fairly positive that 2021 and newer GX460's get both items with the optional offroad package. Can anyone here with a 2019 (or earlier) model year confirm that:
A) the transmission cooler and fuel tank skid plate are offered by Lexus.
and
B) both parts are compatible with the earlier model year vehicle

Thanks in advance for any feedback.

For transmission cooler, check out this link. Short story: US models don't have one, however you can install OEM toyota or aftermarket versions.

For fuel tank skid: Lexus may not offer a full length version but you can install a full length 4runner version. Check on facebook market place, they are usually listed there by 4runner owners upgrading their armour. Or you can search for aftermarket options.

Reactions: r2m
I just picked up a used 2019 GX460 Premium. The vehicle has everything that I wanted except for a few items: external radiator/transmission cooler, full-length fuel tank skid plate and trailer hitch.

I got the trailer hitch installed by a nearby Lexus dealership while addressing a recall for the fuel pump. When I asked the dealer's service advisor about the other two items (transmission cooler and skid plate), I was advised to look at aftermarket solutions since Lexus didn't offer either solution.

I'm fairly positive that 2021 and newer GX460's get both items with the optional offroad package. Can anyone here with a 2019 (or earlier) model year confirm that:
A) the transmission cooler and fuel tank skid plate are offered by Lexus.
and
B) both parts are compatible with the earlier model year vehicle

Thanks in advance for any feedback.
The 5th Gen 4Runner fuel tank skid works. You can usually find take off's cheap. P/N 77606-60190. If you were going to pay retail, might as well get a RCI skidplate or someting similar.

The 5th Gen 4Runner fuel tank skid works. You can usually find take off's cheap. P/N 77606-60190. If you were going to pay retail, might as well get a RCI skidplate or someting similar.
I installed an oem skid plate, was super easy. I paid retail, but with a sale and shipping it was around $300 OTD. My thought was that it should offer a decent amount of protection especially with respect to punctures. If I trash it, I'll replace it with something more burly. With that said, it still looks pristine even though my front skid has taken a beating

I put in the OEM external trans cooler. I didn’t record data, and I’m too lazy to do so. Plus I’m just reading temps from my scanguage.

My impression is that the transmission runs at about the same temps, but does cool down somewhat faster. I’m considering going with a larger aftermarket cooler like what most people do. It’s significantly cheaper as well. If I were to do it again, I’d just do the aftermarket cooler.

Where I would go OEM is that hardline metal tubing that brings the fluid to the front and back. That part and the rubber hosing is worth the money. It’s pre shaped and cut to the right lengths.

Reactions: LWC
For transmission cooler, check out this link. Short story: US models don't have one, however you can install OEM toyota or aftermarket versions.

For fuel tank skid: Lexus may not offer a full length version but you can install a full length 4runner version. Check on facebook market place, they are usually listed there by 4runner owners upgrading their armour. Or you can search for aftermarket options.

Why is Lexus telling me that no transmission cooler part exist? Has anyone been able to get install work done at a dealership for this part?

So the 4runner skid plate works without issue? I know the 4runner and Gx460 share a common platform, but I've never assumed that there was parts commonality for most accessories. Does the presence of KDSS system affect fitment?

Also, I see two variants for the skid plate:
7760660200 - for 4runners without air suspension and skid plates
7760660190 - for 4runners with air suspension and skid plates

Which one is relevant for a GX460 with KDSS (no air suspension)?

Last edited:
Why is Lexus telling me that no transmission cooler part exist? Has anyone been able to get install work done at a dealership for this part?

Because they are most likely told if the part isn't available when searching their system using the VIN, then don't bother. I am sure they don't want their tech's and parts guys going on a wild goose chase hunting down parts, which honestly makes sense. You will most likely need to source the part numbers for the required components, and have an indy shop do the work. Or if you were really well prepared have the FSM and parts in hand when you drop it off at Lexus and they just might do it.

Also - an unrelated question: Will any of the 17" 4runner wheels work on the GX460? I'm considering either the TRD offroad wheels or TRD Pro set, with tire size that is very similar to what 4runner comes with.

I've seen conflicting feedback online - some say rubbing occurs with that tire/wheel combo, others observe no issues.

The 17" 4runner wheels will fit. 265/70R17 tires may rub on the plastic inner fender liner depending on the actual tire size and the wheel offset but you can move the liner out by heat forming it with a hot air gun and a piece of broomstick, and/or doing one of the common and well documented mods. There's a ton of articles and videos showing it.

Reactions: r2m
Word of advice, go aftermarket for skid plates and since it sounds like your off roading will be mild, go with an aluminum one.
If you do that, might as well protect your entire undercarriage with aluminum skids.
Light weight and plenty of protection from most anything you'll encounter.

Regarding trans coolers, do a search on this forum. There's lots of discussion and info about them, especially those with trailers. There will be info on brands, how-to's, etc.

Last edited:
I have 2017 GX460 Premium with 17" FJ Cruiser wheels on 265/70/17 Wildpeaks. I had to take a heat gun and push back some of the plastic in the front wheel wells to prevent rubbing at full lock. I've also got the OEM hitch. It was a really tight squeeze getting the spare to fit. I took a grinder to some little tabs on the hitch to open up some more space. That Club Lexus link is great and is what I followed when installing the OEM AT cooler. I got mine from Partsouq.com and the rest of the hoses/brackets from Bell Lexus. I took a few trips over the summer before/after the cooler install and recorded an average of 210F before the install and 196F after the install. I don't tow but some trips include a very large rooftop cargo box.

I've got CBI aluminum skids. I read lots of posts about leaning and installed Treaty Oak KDSS spacers with my lift to try and avoid. Turns out there isn't enough clearance for the KDSS shock. It rubbed the backside of the front skid. I've since pulled out the front KDSS spacer and there's no more rubbing. Can't say I notice much of a difference with/without that front spacer. Right now I've got a 5mm lean towards the passenger side. That front spacer also seemed to put a lot of stress on the swaybar bushings.

Go with a larger Toyota (like the 200 series transmission cooler) or aftermarket transmission cooler if you decide to off-road or tow. The OEM trans mission cooler is only adequate. You can monitor your transmission temps (torque converter temp and pan temp) with any OBD reader like OBDLink MX+. Below is a comparison of the stock GX470 transmission cooler (similar in size to the GX460 OEM transmission cooler) vs the 200 series LC transmission cooler vs a larger aftermarket cooler. Part numbers are on this forum, just search for them.

20210726_194744a.jpg

Below is what a larger 200 series LC transmission cooler install looks like on a GX470. It can also be done on a GX460.
20210727_145851a.jpg

What kind of transmission fluid temps are you seeing using the larger 200 series LC AT cooler in a GX? My first thought on seeing the OEM GX cooler was that it looked kinda tiny. It did drop my average temps though. Pan temp went from 206 deg F to 192 deg F. Torque converter temp went from 213 deg F to 199 deg F.

The stock 470/460 cooler (when equipped) is still too small. A Hayden 678 is around $50 and 3X the size of the OEM cooler. Mine usually runs ambient temp plus 80-90 degrees when running the TC locked. So I'm typically 170F in the summer.

What kind of transmission fluid temps are you seeing using the larger 200 series LC AT cooler in a GX? My first thought on seeing the OEM GX cooler was that it looked kinda tiny. It did drop my average temps though. Pan temp went from 206 deg F to 192 deg F. Torque converter temp went from 213 deg F to 199 deg F.
Highway is around 150-170F in the summer. In the city with stop lights, it is around 140-160F. Only when I tow or off-road in 4LO does the transmission temp get to 190-200F. Rarely does it go above 200F (towing uphill for prolong periods).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom