OEM fj40 steel wheels (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Certainly not ideal, and unsafe according to the liability lawyers for the big tire chains.

Many have run this combo over the years and I haven’t heard a single story of someone losing a bead...plenty of uneven wear due to the 5.5” rim width on such a wide tire, though.

Technically, the popular 33x10.50s on stock steelies are too wide.

I run 35x12.50s on widened OE wheels...but only 7” wide and the big tire chains won’t mount/service my tires on the 7” wide wheels.

A set of your 16s and some tall skinnies would be ideal.
Where can you get the widened wheels?

Stockton Wheel in California is the most-used place. You buy new OEM Steelies from Toyota (around $100 each), pay to ship them to Stockton Wheel, they cut the centers out and weld them into new (wider) barrels (I think for about $130 each) and you pay to have them shipped back. Stockton can make them 8/10/12 inches wide and can even make them work as 16" wheels.

There are a few other custom wheel shops around that will do it. I'd think there would be a shop in Detroit that caters to the hot rod guys that might have the capability.

There are a few good threads on wheel widening on IH8MUD.

I bought mine, years ago, from Specter Off-Road (SOR). Unfortunately, Specter only had them widened to 7" instead of a much-more-usable 8".

I'd love to see City Racer make some 16x8 or 17x8 available.
FB5D76BC-1C1E-4125-AB44-DEB02B3B1616.jpeg

Stockton Wheel in California is the most-used place. You buy new OEM Steelies from Toyota (around $100 each), pay to ship them to Stockton Wheel, they cut the centers out and weld them into new (wider) barrels (I think for about $130 each) and you pay to have them shipped back. Stockton can make them 8/10/12 inches wide and can even make them work as 16" wheels.

There are a few other custom wheel shops around that will do it. I'd think there would be a shop in Detroit that caters to the hot rod guys that might have the capability.

There are a few good threads on wheel widening on IH8MUD.

I bought mine, years ago, from Specter Off-Road (SOR). Unfortunately, Specter only had them widened to 7" instead of a much-more-usable 8".

I'd love to see City Racer make some 16x8 or 17x8 available.View attachment 2012409
This is the look I would like o achieve. So these are 15" wheels stretched to 7" with what size tire?

This is the look I would like o achieve. So these are 15" wheels stretched to 7" with what size tire?

Yes. 15x7 with 35x12.50 BFG KM2s. Should be on an 8” wide wheel for perfection

It has a supposed 4” SUA lift. (Rough Country springs, if I remember and Rancho 9000 shocks). The rear wheel wells are cut (I wish they weren't, or that the factory radius had been followed). This is how it was built in 2000 and the original 35” BFG KM1s were on 10” wide wheels, which is why I believe the rear wheel wells were cut to begin with.

Next owner added a home made 1.5” body lift. ( Body lift wasn’t needed to clear the 35s )

Pic of the original build.
67EB4CB6-04A7-4AAE-85B1-634D725B543D.jpeg

Can anyone tell me the mini truck wheel part number that has the clips and will work with the OEM hubcaps?

I think brianrb100 is refering to the chevy mini truck wheels. Not sure sorry, think those are difficult to source. OEM Toyota are still availble from dealerships...

I checked a couple of places and

Rim Set Complete Restored OEM 42601-60072 indicates for disc brakes=I have drums. Seems like the disc simply have more clearance. Can I still use that part # for drum brakes?​

On Drum brake rims the centers are riveted to the outer rims. Disc brake rims the centers are welded to the outer rim. Disc brake rims will work on drums brakes. Riveted/drum brake rims wont fit on disc brake frt ends. The rivets hit the caliper.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom