Steel FJ40 roofs - thoughts? sources? China? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I've been poking around Alibaba and noticing a lot of reproduction 40 parts, from past experience with Chinese suppliers (fidget spinners hahahah) I know quality can be questionable at best. Has anyone ever tried to source a steel 40 roof? I've seen one at a local shop here in Portland but didn't get much info. I've reached out to a couple of suppliers to negotiate the price as well, but haven't heard back, yet.

Has anyone ever done a fiberglass-to-steel conversion? I know Banderantes switched to steel roofs at some point. They had to be on to something, right?

I've been poking around Alibaba and noticing a lot of reproduction 40 parts, from past experience with Chinese suppliers (fidget spinners hahahah) I know quality can be questionable at best. Has anyone ever tried to source a steel 40 roof? I've seen one at a local shop here in Portland but didn't get much info. I've reached out to a couple of suppliers to negotiate the price as well, but haven't heard back, yet.

Has anyone ever done a fiberglass-to-steel conversion? I know Banderantes switched to steel roofs at some point. They had to be on to something, right?

A cool 125% markup but dope they’re state-side! Thanks for forwarding this on.

My first question is, why? Why swap a lightweight, rust-proof roof for a heavy, rust-prone roof? You won't gain much if any rollover protection; that's a job for a roll cage. I'd be very concerned about oil-canning and noise with that much flat, unsupported steel. It would be hotter in summer by a lot. Just doesn't make sense to me.

Depends what you want from it.
If you want stock appearance then Chinese is probably the best.
If you want more, then get it made bespoke.
My safari roof was coachbuilt by Meano in South Africa as part of the conversion, and is a pretty simple arrangement made mainly of flat sheet (not at all the same shape as what came out of the toyota factory).
Yes it's probably heavy, but it also gives me about 8" more head room all the way to the back, a good overhang over the windscreen to keep the sun/ rain off, supports the weight of the roof rack, and I can sit on it and watch game.
I've insulated it for sound, and it was cool in summer.

20231025_104250.jpg

20231025_104205.jpg

20231025_104439.jpg

steel roof panel will need extra support and bracing or the oil can effect will deafen you inside

If you follow the original design it is naturally very stiff due to the compound curve, so a simple layer of sound insulation is fine - basically identical to an Austin Mini.

If you go with big and flat, then you'll need stiffening ribs like mine and triangulation to acheive the same stiffness - similar to a Landrover Defender.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom