O2 sensor replacement. Bank 2 sensor 1 Questions: (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Had my 2001 LC parked for 2 weeks at the airport. Within 15 minutes of driving got the CEL. Threw my OBDII on there on saw that it said it was the Bank 2 Sensor 1 Heater something something. I guess it's front passenger. I reset it and it came back on within 5 min. Reset it again cold the next morning and it came on within about 25 min of driving. Feel like I probably should just change it. Doesn't feel like I'm losing power or MPG but I haven't gotten too scientific with it yet. Should I try anything else before ordering a new one and replacing?

I've seen a few older threads about it. Thinking about ordering the Denso from Amazon. I've also seen that it helps to get the Harbor Freight socket for actually removing the little SOB.
For the life of me, I cannot go back and find the size or particular one that I need to order from Harbor. Does anyone know off hand which one it is?

Also, does the below link look like the correct sensor?

Amazon product ASIN B000C5SG54
Thanks so much for any insight. Also, for the record, I live in Baja sur and have to have things ordered and sent in a really weird way. There's no running up to a parts store or anything like that unfortunately. I'm way off grid. Thanks again!!

Should I try anything else before ordering a new one and replacing?

Before spending money, crawl under the truck and verify the wiring to the sensor (may have gotten chewed off at the airport parking lot), verify the sensor style, and spray it with WD-40 or penetrating oil.

Virtually any auto parts store (or Amazon/eBay) will have an oxygen sensor socket, or take a cheap deep well socket and a steel slicing disk, and make your own. Nothing special about the Harbor Fright (sic) one.

For sensor replacement, make sure to do both of them. O2 sensors are really wear items and have a lifespan of around 100-150K before they'll start getting lazy and have inaccurate readings. Looks like they are pretty cheap for the non-VVTI 2UZ, on the VVTI engine they are $100+.

Regarding where to order the sensor, I personally avoid Amazon for auto parts. There are lots of knockoffs and counterfeit parts on there. The one you posted appears to be sold by Amazon and might be legit, but IMO it's not worth the chance. Rock Auto usually has the cheapest Denso parts and they are legit.

Regarding the socket, they are a 22mm. I'd just order a 22 mm open-end wrench (if you don't have one) and a 22 mm O2 socket. The upstream are actually pretty easy to get to so you might be able to get by with the box side of an open-end wrench and not use the socket - for my VVTI engine that's what I've been able to do. Just unhook the sensor harness, thread it through the box end of the wrench, and put that on the sensor and remove it. The sensors are MUCH easier to remove if you start the rig, let it idle for 5 minutes or so, and then remove them. For some reason they are nearly impossible to remove if the rig is cold. I've never hard a problem getting one out that way and I live in a road salt area, where we have some rust.

Should I try anything else before ordering a new one and replacing?

Before spending money, crawl under the truck and verify the wiring to the sensor (may have gotten chewed off at the airport parking lot), verify the sensor style, and spray it with WD-40 or penetrating oil.

Virtually any auto parts store (or Amazon/eBay) will have an oxygen sensor socket, or take a cheap deep well socket and a steel slicing disk, and make your own. Nothing special about the Harbor Fright (sic) one.
Ok thank you! That's super helpful. I'm going get under there and see if anyone has been chewing on it. I hate to admit it but we do see little mice tracks from time to time in there. I have little mesh baggies that I put mouse repel in and tie around the inside of the engine bay. It's time to refill those I think too! Thanks for the info on the socket as well!

For sensor replacement, make sure to do both of them. O2 sensors are really wear items and have a lifespan of around 100-150K before they'll start getting lazy and have inaccurate readings. Looks like they are pretty cheap for the non-VVTI 2UZ, on the VVTI engine they are $100+.

Regarding where to order the sensor, I personally avoid Amazon for auto parts. There are lots of knockoffs and counterfeit parts on there. The one you posted appears to be sold by Amazon and might be legit, but IMO it's not worth the chance. Rock Auto usually has the cheapest Denso parts and they are legit.

Regarding the socket, they are a 22mm. I'd just order a 22 mm open-end wrench (if you don't have one) and a 22 mm O2 socket. The upstream are actually pretty easy to get to so you might be able to get by with the box side of an open-end wrench and not use the socket - for my VVTI engine that's what I've been able to do. Just unhook the sensor harness, thread it through the box end of the wrench, and put that on the sensor and remove it. The sensors are MUCH easier to remove if you start the rig, let it idle for 5 minutes or so, and then remove them. For some reason they are nearly impossible to remove if the rig is cold. I've never hard a problem getting one out that way and I live in a road salt area, where we have some rust.
Wow! Thanks for all of that info! I think I can order from Rock and have it sent to a buddy that's coming down. I'm looking at their Denso and in the descriptions, they say Bank 1 Sensor 1 for the part number that I think I'm looking for. Are the right and left of the front both the same sensor? For some reason, I was thinking that they were different. Here's a link to the one I found. Again my code was P0155 which I think is passenger side, front from what i've read so far..

Thanks again for taking the time to reply!

Yes, left and right side upstream (Sensor 1 or Front) should be exactly the same parts. The vehicle also has downstream sensors (Sensor 2 or Rear - or maybe a single sensor on a non-VVTI engine, I'm not sure) that measure how well the cat is working. These sensors are not the same as the upstream sensors (although they are the same from Bank 1 to Bank 2). There is no need to replace the downstream as they don't affect engine function, if there ever is an issue they'll throw a PO420 or PO430 code, and you can replace them at that time.

FYI, if you were to just replace one it would read different than the 20-year old sensor for the other bank and you'd have some imbalance between the left and right cylinders in your engine, in terms of how much fuel they get. So that's why you should replace both at the same time - to help the engine run smoother and more efficient.

Yes, left and right side upstream (Sensor 1 or Front) should be exactly the same parts. The vehicle also has downstream sensors (Sensor 2 or Rear - or maybe a single sensor on a non-VVTI engine, I'm not sure) that measure how well the cat is working. These sensors are not the same as the upstream sensors (although they are the same from Bank 1 to Bank 2). There is no need to replace the downstream as they don't affect engine function, if there ever is an issue they'll throw a PO420 or PO430 code, and you can replace them at that time.

FYI, if you were to just replace one it would read different than the 20-year old sensor for the other bank and you'd have some imbalance between the left and right cylinders in your engine, in terms of how much fuel they get. So that's why you should replace both at the same time - to help the engine run smoother and more efficient.
Ok thanks so much! So just order 2 of the same one I guess?

That really makes a lot of sense that the new one will behave differently than the 20 old one. I need projects so I don't mind. The price seems really good on the DENSO's as well. Or I guess it is. 48 dollars a pop seems reasonable...

Thanks again!

Yes, that's dirt cheap for a Denso sensor. I just checked for mine and they are $115 for a single upstream - seems like I might have paid more than that, maybe they've come down. My VVTI motor picked up a bit of MPG when I swapped both out.

Yes, that's dirt cheap for a Denso sensor. I just checked for mine and they are $115 for a single upstream - seems like I might have paid more than that, maybe they've come down. My VVTI motor picked up a bit of MPG when I swapped both out.
Yeah I'm almost scared I'm buying the wrong one. Seems like it's too good? I've got a 2001 UZJ.

The part numbers are definitely different for a VVTI vs. non-VVTI engine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom