SOLD NOS 40-Series Power Steering Gearbox Housing and/SST (Optional) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
forum.ih8mud.com
Was planning on using this for another project that never materialize. $550 + shipping from 20912

D4D618F3-2F76-438F-86F6-04552F90BCF7.jpeg

You may want to post additional pics from different sides showing the ports and the mounting face angle. More pics are never a bad thing. GLWS!

Looks like the roller bearing is full of debris, probably should be replaced by the new owner.

Flush the dust with ATF fluid, done.... the bearing does not need to be replaced. This is a NOS part in the original box and packaging. The part has been stored indoors and the packaging was opened to take these pictures.

$18 is cheap piece of mind but obviously the new owner will do whatever makes sense to them. I hope your item finds a good home.

Seriously? Your advice is wrong. There’s zero wear on the bearing. The part has never been used. Your tech advice sucks. How many power steering gearbox rebuild threads have you seen where the roller bearing was removed and a new one was installed?

Seriously? Your advice is wrong. There’s zero wear on the bearing. The part has never been used. Your tech advice sucks. How many power steering gearbox rebuild threads have you seen where the roller bearing was removed and a new one was installed?
For some reason you're upset and I am not sure why. I never said your bearing was WORN. If I did, feel free to identify where I did that. Just because a bearing has not been used or does not have wear, does not mean it is useable (based on how it was stored or shelved). Maybe it's an optical illusion but your bearing appears to have debris in it, but you have it in front of you so you would know that better than me. You may want to reference the following reading material to better educate yourself on the relationship between bearings and debris.

The Influence of Debris on Rolling Bearing Performance: Identifying the Relevant Factors

C. A. Moyer
SAE Transactions
Vol. 96, Section 3 (1987), pp. 870-879
Published by: SAE International
https://www.jstor.org/stable/44472848Page Count: 10

If you're not interested in reading it, here is an abstract for your reference, and I hope you find it useful:

Over the last ten years fatigue tests or wear tests, with and without debris present, have been performed on at least 11 different bearings including five sizes of ball bearings, five sizes of tapered roller bearings and one cylindrical bearing. After evaluating these tests, which include two series that were conducted in the author's laboratory, six factors have been identified that influence bearing performance when debris is present. These factors are debris (size and distribution), lubricant system, lubricant film thickness, levels of filtering, bearing materials and contact size. The results are summarized in table form.

As I mentioned before, I hope your item sells quickly and finds a good home. I was only trying to help you by suggesting you add a couple more pictures and any potential buyer that they may want to consider spending the $18 on a new bearing just to be on the safe side. I have been working with bearings of all kinds, materials, and constructions that span from 12 RPM to 120,000 RPM with costs up to $17,000 per bearing for the last 30+ years so I would say my tech advice is probably pretty good.

Best Regards,
Drake

Do you realize how many members here on mud have rebuilt their power steering gearbox without replacing the used roller bearings. Now you’re just showing everyone how much of a troll you are.

By the way, the roller bearings in this case have ZERO rpm’s

Last edited:
For some reason you're upset and I am not sure why. I never said your bearing was WORN. If I did, feel free to identify where I did that. Just because a bearing has not been used or does not have wear, does not mean it is useable (based on how it was stored or shelved). Maybe it's an optical illusion but your bearing appears to have debris in it, but you have it in front of you so you would know that better than me. You may want to reference the following reading material to better educate yourself on the relationship between bearings and debris.

The Influence of Debris on Rolling Bearing Performance: Identifying the Relevant Factors

C. A. Moyer
SAE Transactions
Vol. 96, Section 3 (1987), pp. 870-879
Published by: SAE International
https://www.jstor.org/stable/44472848Page Count: 10

If you're not interested in reading it, here is an abstract for your reference, and I hope you find it useful:

Over the last ten years fatigue tests or wear tests, with and without debris present, have been performed on at least 11 different bearings including five sizes of ball bearings, five sizes of tapered roller bearings and one cylindrical bearing. After evaluating these tests, which include two series that were conducted in the author's laboratory, six factors have been identified that influence bearing performance when debris is present. These factors are debris (size and distribution), lubricant system, lubricant film thickness, levels of filtering, bearing materials and contact size. The results are summarized in table form.

As I mentioned before, I hope your item sells quickly and finds a good home. I was only trying to help you by suggesting you add a couple more pictures and any potential buyer that they may want to consider spending the $18 on a new bearing just to be on the safe side. I have been working with bearings of all kinds, materials, and constructions that span from 12 RPM to 120,000 RPM with costs up to $17,000 per bearing for the last 30+ years so I would say my tech advice is probably pretty good.

Best Regards,
Drake

Damn this quaranteen is really bringing out the desk top tech wizards.

Great price on a unicorn part and no way in hell Id replace that bearing.

I thought I’d update the ad. I’m realizing I have a bit of a problem with hoarding and I need to let go of the extra stuff. This is available to whoever buys the housing for $150. This is an extra one I found a few years ago. It’s a hard to find SST that the buyer can use to assemble the housing to factory specifications. It’s not specifically for the mini truck or land cruiser gear boxes, but the important tools are there to assemble/disassemble Toyota power steering gearboxes of the time period.

With regard to @Drake2 ’s comments, I welcome debates regarding technical stuff but I’d rather save that for anyplace besides a classified ad. Posting about the condition of someone’s item for sale isn’t an issue for me if the claim is legit and you’re interested in purchasing the item. In this case, the comments were neither based on any interest in facilitating a purchase or factual.

If someone is interested in purchasing the housing and/or SST, feel free to ask any questions. I‘ll make an effort to be direct and to the point.

26CA128A-A3A9-4E77-9438-EFB8B13EBDD4.jpeg

D2870238-8439-4434-BDB4-ED4CA82315D8.jpeg

Sale pending for both power steering gearbox housing and SST set.

STATUS UPDATE: SOLD

Last edited:
Enram, are you looking for 3B power steering or AC brackets? I thought I remembered you posted a want ad a while back. PM me if you are.

I thought I’d update the ad. I’m realizing I have a bit of a problem with hoarding and I need to let go of the extra stuff. This is available to whoever buys the housing for $150. This is an extra one I found a few years ago. It’s a hard to find SST that the buyer can use to assemble the housing to factory specifications. It’s not specifically for the mini truck or land cruiser gear boxes, but the important tools are there to assemble/disassemble Toyota power steering gearboxes of the time period.

With regard to @Drake2 ’s comments, I welcome debates regarding technical stuff but I’d rather save that for anyplace besides a classified ad. Posting about the condition of someone’s item for sale isn’t an issue for me if the claim is legit and you’re interested in purchasing the item. In this case, the comments were neither based on any interest in facilitating a purchase or factual.

If someone is interested in purchasing the housing and/or SST, feel free to ask any questions. I‘ll make an effort to be direct and to the point.

View attachment 2360532

View attachment 2360533
DOOOD! I so could have used that kit! I have 2-3 boxes I need to rebuild.
Please let me know when you have "extra SSTs" you are looking to offload. :beer:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom