Noobie Help - can’t remove brake dust cover due to brake line

• Thread starter vankho
  • Start date
  • Watchers 2
vankho

vankho

Some Labor Day labor. Im stuck at the most ridiculous of steps for my first knuckle rebuild… removing the brake dust cover. I can’t figure out a way to remove it without cutting the damn rubber hose to the union/hard line. Any live advice while I figure this out?

979B0A1B F1FD 47B0 AA2E 5D3013450EF5

vankho

vankho

I think one side of the brake line is rusted onto the axle. The one side on the cover is lose but I can’t unscrew completely without twisting and coiling the rubber hose

EB1524DE D211 42A0 BBF8 6ECB8137900E

Last edited:
OSS

OSS

SILVER Star
The fitting on the axle is loosened first

Gretsch

Gretsch

SILVER Star
The fitting on the axle is loosened first

In case it wasn't clear, there is a fitting behind the bracket on the axle. Reach back behind the bracket and you should be able to feel the fitting. Reach back there with a 10MM flare nut wrench and get the fitting loose. There is a little steel clip piece that is slid between the bracket and the hose to keep it in place. Pull that out and you should be able to remove the hose from the bracket and axle fitting. Then you can turn the hose off the hard line junction on the backing plate. You prolly want to take a look at a few diagrams before tackling a knuckle rebuild. GL and HTH.

g-man

g-man

SILVER Star
That brake hose is due for replacement regardless.
90947-02934 is your friend. (Longer hose that deletes the short hard line and makes future service work easier)
^^^ this! and next time you will only need to wire tie the brake caliper to the shock tower with the longer hose still attached.

OSS

OSS

SILVER Star
Once the knuckles are overhauled, they should be good for another 30 years/300,000 miles.
You're not ever going to need to do this job again. Brake calipers can last that long too (mine did).

L

Lead Head

Well that hose is bad now for sure after all that twisting, so you might as well cut it.

However to actually get the hose off, you need to unscrew the hard-line on the other side of the hose. Look on the other side of the bracket, and you will see a hardline. Then you need to pop the retaining clip off.

vankho

vankho

Thank you all! Success and progress! Much slower pace that I expected given all the prep and research that went into this. Struggling with pounds of dirt, grease and rust. Currently pulling my hair out over seized tie rod ends…

Don’t think I’ll get to the other side by end of day :/. Learning a lot though

C28F93E4 8E24 4E3A A036 F54F2ADEB24B

Last edited:
batthewmrown

batthewmrown

SILVER Star
If the tie rods are being replaced, I’d suggest a BFH (big f***ing hammer). If they’re not, O’Reilly sells the best tie rod separator for the task.

vankho

vankho

@batthewmrown you motherf***er I love you! Bought all kinds of jaw pullers, tie rod separators and this one did the job.

thank you again everyone. All that’s missing is some cold ones to share with you all 🍻

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom