Replace broken hand brake lever (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

caladin

Noob, but trying to learn
SILVER Star
Threads
Website
bz93.com
Kid at discount tine was convinced he was in a Fast and Furious movie, and snapped off the button on my parking brake lever.

(listed as Knob - 46217 below)

1699979204853.jpeg

It's snapped off down inside the handle exposing the threads.

I think i have a replacement sourced(Part is discontinued), but I'm wondering if there are any clever tricks to get the rest of the old out out?

My thoughts were a broken screw or tap extractor jammed in and run in reverse,

1699979390239.jpeg

Worst case heat the tips up hot and melt it into the plastic, and try again. I tried to find a left hand turn cutter like this, but failed, That seems like it would be perfect for this situation...

Anyone got a better trick? Also thought about bending a fork out of tig rod and melting tips of it into the leftover plug part, and unscrewing using that.

60's at the shop, so I don't' have a pic, but it's a good half inch down in there..

I picked it out with a small screwdriver, the remaining part of the button had shattered.

Turns out it was holding the, spring in place, which is critical for the lever to lock holding the brake on.

I made a temporary replacement button at home depot, using an m5 acorn nut, and a nylon spacer that friction fit over the nut

PXL_20231116_230623396.jpg
it screwed in and allowed me to park on hills.
PXL_20231116_230627804.jpg

PXL_20231117_160526647.jpg

I bought one of the aluminum drifting buttons on amazon.

Button

They were cheap so I took a gamble, turns out the thread was right but the diameter of the sflhaft was too big.

so I chucked it in my HF late and turned it down to fit.

I had to turn down alot more length than I expected, basically the whole shaft.

I'd love to report what I turned it too, but to be honest I eyeballed it.

PXL_20231117_000622112.MP.jpg

It fits, and I have a functioning brake button.

PXL_20231117_003622041.jpg

Last edited:
I picked it out with a small screwdriver, the remaining part of the button had shattered.

Turns out it was holding the, spring in place, which is critical for the lever to lock holding the brake on.
I like your solution. Same thing happened to my 60 a few years back…. I’ve been wanting to go to the pick n pull to see if I can source a button from an old Toyota. In the meantime, I’ve been using a trimmed wire nut …

IMG_7344.jpeg

IMG_7347.jpeg

IMG_7345.jpeg

Here’s another option. Button from a 2005 Scion XB worked on my 60, it took a little persuasion to screw in but it works great… $4 dlls total at a pick-n-pull ($1 for button and $3 entrance fee).

IMG_7507.jpeg

IMG_7508.jpeg

IMG_7522.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom