Builds Nomads GX460 build - DIY, hands on (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Just my .02¢ of opinion, but I prefer my sliders to be as far out as possible.
Justification:
  1. If you're leaning into something like a tree or rock, the farther out the sliders the less likely to have that rock or tree encroach on your doors.
  2. If you're on a tight trail, you'll squeeze your sliders before a door.
  3. More purchase area for your foot when you need to stand on them. I use mine all the time when opening and closing my RTT.
  4. So the idiot's in the parking lot, when they swing their door open, it hits the slider before your door!
Some people don't like the step at all and prefer just a hard bar under their rocker panels.
Anyways, there you go!

Just my .02¢ of opinion, but I prefer my sliders to be as far out as possible.
Justification:
  1. If you're leaning into something like a tree or rock, the farther out the sliders the less likely to have that rock or tree encroach on your doors.
  2. If you're on a tight trail, you'll squeeze your sliders before a door.
  3. More purchase area for your foot when you need to stand on them. I use mine all the time when opening and closing my RTT.
  4. So the idiot's in the parking lot, when they swing their door open, it hits the slider before your door!
Some people don't like the step at all and prefer just a hard bar under their rocker panels.
Anyways, there you go!
Good points! Ill Start long, tack and see how it looks

Reactions: r2m
Other than taking them off to fully prep and paint this job is done!

20220401_151020.jpg

20220401_150848.jpg

Last edited:
Do they stick out enough to get a good purchase with your feet, not having to be on your tippy toes?

Full foot step, walk along it for the roof, jumped up and down just fine. Actually its a little further than stock. I use it stepping out and my daughter uses it getting in.
Not fancy but very satisfying it came out.

Thanks for the encouragement!

They look great!
Because they look so good, don't get wrangled into doing a bunch of of them unless of course you get some good coin for them.

Took me long enough to do these!
Time to move on to the rear drawer build.

Working on a more versatile, for me, rear storage setup.
Had a family beach trip with extra people so I took out the rear deck surface and installed the passenger 3rd row seat and a driver side 50% trunk floor.
Easy swap so I'm determined to make my rear trunk and drawer setup more versatile.
50/50 split trunk floor, with set in false floor for drawers or soft bag storage. This way I can take in and out as much or as little as I need with only a few bolts.
Full drawers for hidden storage, or seat and drawer, or flat loading deck, etc.
An hour prototype the night before beach day:
20220818_064933.jpg

Working on a more versatile, for me, rear storage setup.
Had a family beach trip with extra people so I took out the rear deck surface and installed the passenger 3rd row seat and a driver side 50% trunk floor.
Easy swap so I'm determined to make my rear trunk and drawer setup more versatile.
50/50 split trunk floor, with set in false floor for drawers or soft bag storage. This way I can take in and out as much or as little as I need with only a few bolts.
Full drawers for hidden storage, or seat and drawer, or flat loading deck, etc.
An hour prototype the night before beach day:
20220818_064933.jpg
Really like to modularity of your system. The more options, the more function.
Great idea!

20220827_161220.jpg

20220827_154846.jpg

Mockup on the bottom panels. Went with 1/2" for a lighter weight, added a few slats underneath for bracing.
I'm adding stain/polyurethane today but may end up painting them black or covering with carpet.
1/4" lower surface overall.
Will add a center drawer but may use soft bags.

More progress. It's too dang hot (111 deg) to keep working today but got it closer to finished.
20220905_144010.jpg

Narrow raised floor 5 3/4" height allows hidden storage while keeping it just as utilitarian (groceries, daily tasks) as stock. Most drawer systems have large deep drawers which work well for permanently travelling with lots of stuff and living out of it.

The height is only a few inches off of sleeping platform height.
I toyed with the idea of a 9" inner height to fit 4 small storage boxes but it meant another trim of the deck to allow the seats to recline and the rear door table to fit... Maybe in the future if i need more space

20220905_143906.jpg

To do:
Front needs to go onto the drawer.
Drawer needs to be chopped to final size.
Mounting tie-down rings needed.
Undecided on cutting it all down the center and making two removable drawers systems. I'll need to live with it for a little while first.

I'm also entertaining the option of using a backpacks as soft storage underneath and making the drawer face a hinged door, the drawer itself just seems like extra weight.

It's about the perfect height for a trail took set. If you can make a key-holed foam insert for a socket set, screwdriver set and some wrenches.

Started with making this the face of the drawer. I have 170 degree hinges coming to make the face a swing up door. Then I'll try just using soft storage to "crush fit" more when needed. The drawer does cut down on a lot of storage.
20220916_150240.jpg

Just made up a set of paracord handles for the headliner handles. Will work on some adapters to bolt them in.

Finished a little project on the paracord handles
So far so good. I'll change the 3d printed backing plates to light tan in the future.

20221001_184403.jpg

20221001_184331.jpg

Finished a little project on the paracord handles
So far so good. I'll change the 3d printed backing plates to light tan in the future.

20221001_184403.jpg

20221001_184331.jpg
Great idea, love it!
Did you print the backing plates from either nylon or carbon fiber?
If it's PLA, not sure I'd trust them in an emergency.
Also, I can't really tell from your pics, but did you use D rings or does your paracord go through the plate?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom