Builds Nomads GX460 build - DIY, hands on (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

All talk no pictures???
Proof's in the pic's! :D
Keep up the great work! Hope you get this Presidents Day Monday off, give you a wee bit more time.
Yeah, I actually have the long weekend in carlsbad with the family so no working and I'll have to add the pics when I get back.

Reactions: r2m
Yeah, I actually have the long weekend in carlsbad with the family so no working and I'll have to add the pics when I get back.
You're just on the other side of Camp Pendleton from me? If you don't already have a crew you go wheeling/off roading with, maybe you may want to check out our off road club: Capo Valley 4 Wheelers - https://www.cv4w.org/
Family friendly, and every sort of off roading from rock crawling, overlanding (Mojave Desert road and others), camping, trail driving that my wife can take her stock 4x4 Taco on and more! There's events almost every month, more than we're able to attend.
Just tossing it out there for you.

Thanks! I'll bookmark it. Def will be looking to get out on some day trips to check out various trails. I'm a bit further up in Redlands but this is our easy goto beach weekend location.

ABS sensor guards. Got these from a friend so installed them for kicks. Have mounts for small rock lights on them. Hey, when in Rome.

ABS sensor guards. Got these from a friend so installed them for kicks. Have mounts for small rock lights on them. Hey, when in Rome.
Not sure if a small camera wouldn't be better to mount to them?:meh:

Little progress, grabbing a few hours here and there.
Wheels are painted satin black.
Sliders smoothed out and mount tubes cut. 3/16" plates are in and ready for layout.
20220305_120759.jpg
20220305_151243.jpg
20220305_151056.jpg

Look'n good!

progress, painted bars and installed. Put wheels on when I changed the front brakes.
TPMS disable has an odd connection issue so I'll snip and solder again (very small wires).
Removed the foam air pump intake to avoid future issues. It had been fixed by PO dealer and updated previously after causing issues.

20220323_122348.jpg
20220323_131123.jpg
20220323_122005.jpg

So I wired the TPMS bypass switch CORRECTLY this time and it worked. Imagine that.

Sitting on the budget wheel and tire package and ready to start some other projects.
Picked up another set of rear cargo tiedown tracks from a BMW X3 to use on a removeable friction slide cargo drawer. It'll be about 4 to 5 inches tall, just to carry basic daily gear not seen from the windows. Easily taken out for any big cargo needs. Don't think I'll go sleeping platform height but have an idea for adjustable feet.

Today I fishmouth slider tubes, the hard way.

20220325_114936.jpg

I'm lovin' those crossbars. I'm sure people would like a write up on those.
I like how the GX looks with the Sequoia/Tundra wheels.
Keep up the great work.

progress, painted bars and installed. Put wheels on when I changed the front brakes.
TPMS disable has an odd connection issue so I'll snip and solder again (very small wires).
Removed the foam air pump intake to avoid future issues. It had been fixed by PO dealer and updated previously after causing issues.

View attachment 2961399View attachment 2961406View attachment 2961413
Love how those cross bars have track holes for every/any configuration needed! How tall are they? Do you think they can handle the weight of a 150lb RTT? Roof top tents usually only have two rails running along the length wise on the bottom, which focuses the weight on two section of about 1.5"-2" of cross bar instead of distributing it along the entire width of the cross bar.

Writeup here: Cheapest DIY Heavy duty Roof Rack Crossbars for the GX460
These are just attached to the factory rails with factory style clamps.
With 4 per side now it would be stronger than the factory two bars but RTT need static and dynamic loading strength. Not sure.

There are thicker bars that can be used that will definitely not deflect at all but I chose the slimmer, about 1" tall.
These deflect a little when I span end to end and stand 185lb on the center. I'm sure these would be fine with the static load, especially multiple bars but I have no idea on the clamping strength/safety.

Edit- Actually these are basically the same design as the LFD bars, just a lower profile, and they seem to work for folks with RTT just fine. LFD just J-clamps to the factory bars as well.
So basically, I'd say yes. If you use full size superstrut, there's no deflection at all. You could also use the larger hardware. The curled edge of the superstrut makes a perfect J-clamp. No need to spend $100 on each bar.

Last edited:
With 4 per side now it would be stronger than the factory two bars but RTT need static and dynamic loading strength. Not sure.

There are thicker bars that can be used that will definitely not deflect at all but I chose the slimmer, about 1" tall.
These deflect a little when I span end to end and stand 185lb on the center. I'm sure these would be fine with the static load, especially multiple bars but I have no idea on the clamping strength/safety.

Edit- Actually these are basically the same design as the LFD bars, just a lower profile, and they seem to work for folks with RTT just fine. LFD just J-clamps to the factory bars as well.
So basically, I'd say yes. If you use full size superstrut, there's no deflection at all. You could also use the larger hardware. The curled edge of the superstrut makes a perfect J-clamp. No need to spend $100 on each bar.
I have no idea where to get the factory style clamps that you used. The superstrut I assume you got at Home Depot or Lowe's. Can you help a brother out? ;)

Made the clamps. Sliced off a J shaped section of the superstrut, then welded a nut. If you look at the factory crossbars you'll see they are basically he same thing.
20220208_164133%20(1).jpg
20220208_164318%20(1).jpg

Maybe I should have posted that "Slow Ride" by Fogghat on this post!!! :D

I will get it about .5 inch closer to the body than this and can position it either right here or .5 to 1" more outboard. I dont think i want the bar to stick out past the plane of the wheels. It can be positioned more inboard but the step becomes shallower. Im happy with where the steps are. Was able to locate them centered in the logos. Overall depth from the bottom edge of the door will be 5", maybe 4.5" min. I also dont think angling them up will make it look right due to the step platforms.
Tomorrow I weld.
20220329_111758.jpg

20220329_111948.jpg

20220329_111941.jpg

20220329_111752.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom